Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki legends in the Marquesas

Pages: 1 9 replies

C

Does anyone know any of the locations of Marquesan Tiki that have their histories recorded?

T

Is this a trick question?

C

No, I'm merely interested in the histories and meanings behind the considerable number of Tiki's in the Marquesas. I've been told the culture is dead and the history is not known but I don't believe it.

Thanks,
Rosemary

Rosemary,

I'm sure some member may be able to provide you with greater detail, but an interesting book I've recently read by Mark Blackburn titled 'Tattoos from Paradise' provides many accounts of artwork, including tattoos and tikis. Many of the accounts are from members of Captain Cook's expeditions to polynesia. If you haven't gathered yet, as a group we are more interested in the cheesy, western-civilization's bastardization of all things tiki as opposed to the sociological aspect of said topic.

Good luck.

S

Right. Like the term "Tiki Gods." The Western mind really can't grasp what these things were. Our culture and what the term "god" means, is just way different.

As for us here, "Tiki God" means - "Something to be sought out in thrift and antique store for purchase, or vintage bars and restaurants for ogling."

C

Thanks for your suggestion Tiki Bong. I'll look for the book you suggested.

Thanks for the advice Swanky. I think both approaches to the Tiki search, both the cheesy, western type and the curious, sociological type can be fascinating.

All the best,
Rosemary

The best source for Marquesan ancestor/tiki history are the works of archeologist Robert C. Suggs, the American authority on the Marquesas: "The Hidden Worlds of Polynesia","Lords of the Blue Pacific","The Island Civilizations of Polynesia", and recently "Manuiotaa-Journal of a Voyage to the Marquesas Islands" (2001 Pa'eke Press,Boise, Idaho), in which he recounts one of his many lecturing trips on the freighter Aranui (www.aranui.com).
Before him, the oral history of ancestor heros portrayed as tikis was recorded by Willowdean Handy and Karl Von Den Steinen.

C

Thanks very much bigbrotiki. I'm impressed with you knowledge of the culture behind the Tiki's. I'll follow up on your suggestions.

Rosemary

'tis 'cause I was fortunate to land a Tiki lecturing gig myself on the Aranui last January. I yet have to update my website with the report...
http://www.bookoftiki.com

C

The Aranui trip must have been wonderful BigbroTiki. I look forward to your update on your website.

Rosemary

Pages: 1 9 replies