Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 6:11 PM

Too cool for school:

He looks like a mean old bugger! Love that red headdress, I can (sort of) figure out how you did it, which make me think it must've been a huge amount of work. A man's gotta do what man's gotta do...can't argue with the ancients!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2009-06-03 18:12 ]

B

AWESOME BEN !!! Love the detail and red headress. BUFFBAD

H

Looks great. How do you do this so easy.

S

This guy ROCKS! Pre-Punk buy 3000 years!

B

Laojia, Thanks for the kind words :)
TPak, Yeah, he's mad for taking so long on his headdress. See'ya soon.
TNango Yes a Hint of f-nails, thanks for the props.
Thanks Finky, I Think. I must have been looking in a mirror? :o
LLT, Thanks yeah he's Done with school he says. Many kind words for happies
GROG...? Izzsat you? Thanks.
Clarita, Sunshine bringer, Thanks too
Surfin, you saw it all didn't 'ya, Thank You
Paipo, yeah he got tired of waiting. Burning each clump and gluing into small hole. TOO Much time. Thanks for stopping by.
BUFFBAD, Thanks for the comps.
Hiltiki Thanks and Who said it was easy? :P
Thanks Seeks, yes, the punkers learned from him for shore!

Thanks everyone for all the great comments on such a small guy. I'll have to do him again.

B

OK, New guy here from KOA, not quite finished yet.

Beautiful work, Ben. I love the way you get these off center perspectives and still everything is proportionally correct. I have a real hard time when I try to work without a true center line or with an implied center. You always seem to capture those more natural views with such precision you make it look easy, when I know it is not. Thanks for all the inspiration, Ben.

Tyler

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 6, 2009 11:16 AM

Seriously bitchin Benno. That guy came right outta nowhere? What inspired you to pull up those features? I haven't seen you do something like that in a loooong time. I bet that is going to shine up like glass too.....

B

WOW Ben, this guy already looks perfect and has to be on this page too !

It's the first time I see you carving a marquesan style tiki and I hope there will be lots more because this piece is realy amazing.
Happy happy happy to see you back in the wood.

Benjamin.

B

Thanks Tyler for the kind words, again a photo inspired me for this guy and it was the shot from this angle which excited me the most. I haven 't carved a Marquesan for a long time because there seems to be little room for interpretation, but I guess I was Wrong Again! Thanks.

Thanks GMAN Like I told Tyler it was a photo I've been wanting to carve a long time and just decided to do it.

Benjamin, Thanks for the comps, Yes it Has been awhile since I did a Marq but it might not be as long till the next one:)

Thanks guys
Here is todays update

( edited to replace last photo with correct version)___________

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-06-07 08:27 ]

B

Update after update, it's becoming more beautiful.
I always love the interpretation you put on those magic pieces that's what makes you "The" Benzart.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Hmm, forgot sumthin', how tall is that beauty ?

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 3:00 AM

I'm sure you must have made your Marq at some previous point too, but I don't recall seeing one for a very long time. Love this lil' guy - some nice trad lines happening there, along with the trademark Benzart fierceness starting to form in his expression. Is that eye marked out for carving or inlay? Hopefully I'll find out in the next lot of photos which should be coming soon, huh?

J

You are the master of the hook knife, some of those cuts look about as big as some of the grain pores in the wood.

Another exceelent carve! I'm glad to see you doing some wood again.

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 8:02 AM

I randomly clicked on this thread and saw the pic and knew it was a Benzart. All your work has an unmistakable Benz look and feel to it. Taking what you already do best and applying it to something you haven't tried yet. Super cool. -tea

BenZ is Back...pinch hitting in the top of the 6th... he's a switch hitter :o ...changes his batting stance... now the picher looks confused...crowd is on the edge of thier seats cheering!!! :D

S

Great stuff Benz. Love the full lines and the eyes are fantastic.

B

Benella, Thanks, you are gonna make me blush and you are spoiling me, Love those kind words.
Oh yeah, He is 3 1/8 Inches tall. Next group of photos will have one showing size. He's Large after looking at my recent stuffs and it's Strange having all this Space to fill or Not to fill.

Paipo, Thanks for the props. I believe the only pieces I have done resembling Marquesan have been Very early as in numbers 4 and 6 pendants, Way back in the beginning of TC time

I guess I've changed a bit since then hey?
Here is one of the Photos for my inspiration

Johnny, I think the Hook has Mastered ME! I've broken the tips of at least 6 blades on this guy, Koa is Very unfriendly to the knife. Yes some of the cuts Are small, tiny, Minute. Thanks JP

Thanks Aloha, Appreciate the props and It feels Great to be carving more wood but the Bone and stone are Calling, Loudly too! :lol:

Thanks teaKEY...what?...I'm glad you randomly landed here to view my meager attempts at a marq. I guess I need to do a few to get it right.
Jonesey, You can be on my Cheering Squad Any time, Thanks for the kind words and it's Great to be back, even if it Is half way. Cheers!

Thanks Everyone for the great response, makes me want to get out to the shop and carve more and more and More!

L
laojia posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 2:33 PM

Two days left and I almost missed that: "The return of Da BenZ with wood carving knife"!!! :o :o :o
Your latest piece is really beautifull and always with a very personnal expression!
More posting! More pics! Please!!!

J.

Hey Benzer, thanx for posting the inspiration pic too, I always like to see how people get to where they're going.

B

Thanks Laojia I'll post more pix in a minnit. Thanks for the motivation.

Surfin' Thank you too. Yes sometimes it is good to know where ideas came from.

Heres a few updates for today: Still fitting and polishing the eyes. The inlay is a new Synthetic jade from TimidTiki and it seems to be really nice working stuff!

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-06-07 21:52 ]

M

WHOA! that is INCREDIBLE- and a whole lot of detail for the size! I am not worthy!!!

B

The synthetic jade make a perfect eye for this guy.
Excellent headress too.

Benjamin.

Very, very beautiful carve Ben. I think it doesn't matter what medium you choose, it always gets more beautiful by passing true your hands. Cool update on your logo to.

B

Mijaba, thanks for the props and you Are worthy, it's Me who is unworthy and just a beginner with years of experience and learning to go. :)

Benella, Thanks, I was not sure weather to go with Paua, MOP, Jade or black onyx and I think the synthetic jade won out.

Grapa-Ruha, Many Thanks, glad you likee. Also glad that you liked the logo redo as it took Lots more time including a few choice, new words to add to the 4 letter word library.
I should be finishing him up today.

C

Cool little feller Ben, how do you pack so much detail into so little space?
I suppose you will be relaxing this week with the Hukilau coming up, what's
gonna be next?

Ben, you are back, and I am loving all the new pieces!

Amy

Ho Man! thats-a-nice. VERY NICE!!!!!!! I've been off TC for a bit.....trying to catch up. I see your stuff and it makes me inspired and gets me sketching again. thanks for the jolt of inspiration and sharing your work on TC. How do you do that stuff SO SMALL!!!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 6:36 PM

Dayum! Lookit that fancy guy now! I thought you were done?

T

Nice, nice! So small but packed full of personality and detail. The synthetic jade makes for a great focal point, then you see all that detail. Yikes!

Beautiful detail, Ben!

And a very special piece of wood to carve it from.

Love the traditional stylings!

B

Congatiki, Thanks, I use the Tiny tools to get the tiny details in the small pieces... No Relaxing this week at least until Hukilau! :o

Thanks AMY, It's Great to be back, even if its Only Half back And it's great getting comps from you too!

Thanks Creative Chimp. I use small tools for small work and BIG tools for the Big stuff, Eazy

GMANG, You should know I'm Never done till it goes out the door and even then I might chase the maillady down the street!

TikiMango Thanks for your time and effort complimenting me for this guy, HappyHAppy.

Thanks Lake for the props on the carving. Yes the Koa really adds all its own mystique to the piece's traditional flair.

Well this guy's finally finished except for the cord and toggle. Heres a few parting shots!

T

:o :o Damn Benz, another great work of art.. Hmmmm and it's only #98, two more to go. I'll be waiting for that #100.. :lol: Love the green eyes, but blue sapphires would have looked real 8)

Nice Ben, as always!

Love the carved signature!!

Damn Ben, you are still the best, hands down.
Can the bar be raised any further? With you I always know it can be.

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 1:24 PM

wonderful piece - all is perfect
i love the headress and also the signature
great pixs as always

greets
AKUAE

B

Thanks T-Pak, Oh darn I almost forgot about # 100, guess I'll have to skip a few numbers, glad you like this stuff. See 'ya soon.

Thechikitiki, :0 You always bring that smile to my face since #1, almost a hundred pieces ago, such a long time ago it seems. Thanks for taking the time as I Know you are busy, Appreciate the comps. HappyHAppy

Aloha, Thanks, I've been trying to iron out the kinks for awhile and some woods are fine with it and some way not, Knot!

Finks, Thanks my forever friend, Not the best at all but in your eyes is what counts.

Thanks AKUAE, happy you could stop by with such praise, glad you liked the new signature too.

Now to get back to work on one I started yesterday and worked till late last night on.

B

N°98 is awesomer than what I was expecting and the new signature's top shelf.
The new bone looks pretty sharp.
Oasis will be happy to welcome you !

Mahalo,

B.

B

Thanks Benella, unfortunately I won't be going to Oasis, Wish I were though.
Unfortunately too that comb turned out to be a Non comb carving

Here's the update.

But for a bit of polishing, he's done.

Nice resurrection of the comb.

L

Provided details about 1 inch! I guess the time spent on the bench!!!

And I don't talk about the marq, his green eyes follow me in my dreams... :o

J.

Nice stuff Ben,the little Marq guy looks fantastic.

B

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

[ Edited by: benella 2009-06-11 01:20 ]

B

TikiMango, Thanks, I was Really ticked off when the buffing wheel grabbed a couple tines and sent them to Miami but after I realized there would be No Heru, I settled for a small tekoteko face.

Laojia, close, he's 1 1/4 inch tall and 1 inch wide and and hours spent over this guy were 12 Plus. This piece of bone was a Pleasure to carve, except for the buffer incident it went well Thanks.
Oh, yeah, I was talking to the Marq yesterday (Oh he likes to be called John!)and he Told me about haunting some peeps in their dreams anad he especially liked the chap called Laojia because he had so much fun in your mind. :P :o Do you mind telling us about that dream,,, those Eyes,,,those Greeen eyes,,those Hauntingly greeeen eyes? John seems to think it was a great story but he would say no more! :o Thanks again

Watango, thanks for the kind words, glad you like John. Watch the Green Eye!

benella Thanks for the Miles of Smiles, just what I needed this morning. I've spent too many hours hunched over the bench the past few days.
Not sure what will come up today, maybe nothing, maybe something, we'll see.

Cool blend of style Benz. Looks Maori-ish and Hawaiin-ish. But DAMN, look athe time your spending signing your name!!!! Amazing.
You can't possibly work today! You've got HUKILAU on the BRAIN! Right?

S

Nice none comb for only #101

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies