Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

Thanks for the ideas VANTIKI. I don't think it is serpentine as it cannot be scratched with a steel point, but I hadn't thought of the dye issue. I'll put a piece in the direct sunlight today and another under a UV lamp to see what happens. I'll post the results here. If anyone one out there has a refractometer that might work on this material, I'll be glad to send them a piece for testing and their own carving pleasure. Happy carving, timid

W

Bowenite (a serpentine variety) is often hard enough to not be scratched by steel. If there is gradation in the material that's another strong indicator.

Some forms of nephrite, especially older/chemically altered pieces, may be scratched. Based on that vaseline-y translucency though I'd still go with the above.

B

Thanks Wentiki, the dye info is good stuff, didn't think about that at all. I guess in the synthetic stones they Must use some kind of dye, and maybe those oily dark spots are dye that was not thoroughly mixed in. Don't know as I am Ignorant to the process.
Thanks mush for the input.

S

Looking sharp Benz! I don't know stone, but I'm sure
you are making it look easy.

B

I was too tired to type anything last night and kept falling asleep and having to back out multiple lines of trash DMMMMMMMWWWWWWWWWWWJJJJJJJI{{{{{JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

I feel better this morning after fighting with this piece yesterday though I am not very happy with it. This stone is difficult to get the fine detail in as it seems grainy and has soft pockets and hard ones all over and through out the stone. I imagine that every batch will be different though so cannot make any hasty judgements. Still have a long way to go with this guy though.

later

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-07-01 08:18 ]

H

Just perfect.

N

ditto.

As always, Benz truly beautiful work!

Eventually I'll work up the cojones to attempt some stone work.
You guys around here make it look so easy, when I know it's not so.
After the little bit of bone I've hacked at I'm in awe at the fluidity of your lines, especially in the moko and around the eyes. Truly stunning. Can't wait to see more.

B

Thanks Seeks, I'm making it look esay just for you, it really Is hard.

Hiltiki Thanks and you too nuKKe, Always appreciate kind words.

Tyler thanks, and it Really is easier than it looks, just remember to keep the diamonds cool and let'er Rip!

B

I'm waiting on some sharper diamonds I have on the way to finish this guy. He has really been challenging , but fun to work on. Meanwhile after I finish a few household projects with Sherry, I can get back to work, Any suggestions?

BD

damn benz,

you should have trouble with your pieces all the time. the little jade maori is amazing and once again - a beautiful piece.

bd

F

Ben, even the stuff you're not happy with is a million times better than I could ever do! :lol:

T

I'm not happy with it either... send it my way to get it out of your sight!

Truly, a gorgeous piece! We fellow carvers dare to aspire...

On 2009-07-04 04:48, Benzart wrote:
Meanwhile after I finish a few household projects with Sherry, I can get back to work, Any suggestions?

lono! LoNo! LONO LONNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2009 6:51 PM

On 2009-06-30 07:14, wentiki wrote:
Bowenite (a serpentine variety) is often hard enough to not be scratched by steel. If there is gradation in the material that's another strong indicator.

Some forms of nephrite, especially older/chemically altered pieces, may be scratched. Based on that vaseline-y translucency though I'd still go with the above.

Having worked some of this synthetic stone, and with 10 years or so of working various jades and most of the well-known "alikes", I am certain this is not serpentine or bowenite. I posted info describing how it (synthetic jadeite) is manufactured in the stone Q+A thread (where this discussion really belongs - sorry Ben!), but no-one seems to want to believe it!

Ben, you've done a great job with the engraving because this "stone" is HARD, at least compared to what I use most of the time. I don't think I'd even attempt surface decoration on this stuff.

B

Big Daddy Thanks but even though it iss a pain, this guy has been great to work on.

Finky, Thanks but I think you Exaggerate a million times too much! :D

Mango, Thanks but you;ll have to come get it, I'm still learning about this green stuff.

Bullet, You're next. Lono lono lono Thanks..

Paipo, Thanks for the input on the Synthetics, and I don't ming having it here as well as the other thread. Yes this stuff is Hard for sure and Challenging to say the least, Thanks for the props.

On 2009-07-05 12:51, Benzart wrote:
Bullet, You're next. Lono lono lono Thanks..

ben, that is the best post i've ever read! :lol: i am so excited!

B

Bullet, Thanks for the kind words AND for your Patience I Know you have wanted this for awhile.
Do you have a preference in size or material, Bone, stone or wood and if wood, KOA is perfect for lono as is Ebony or Cherry or OAK or Mahogany or a few other wild grain hardwoods.
I started this one today in Koa, 4 3/1"tall by 1 1/4"wide by 7/8" thick. Lemme know what you think?

B

Looking sharp Sir !

Greets,

B.

Here we GO! You're gonna take us for a ride on this one huh!? WOO HOO

B

Greets back Ben and Thanks for the props, Looks Sharp all right, sucker Bit me this morning with all that sharpness so I out him away awhile.

Thanks Surfin, ride, Hmmm, Maybe, maybe knot, I saw another piece of wood that caught my eye and attention and I couldn't put it down.

Here are the 2 Koa Brothers

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-07-07 18:00 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 7:51 PM

Those don't look like synthetic jade? Maybe synthetic koa? Maybe your title is outdated? Who nose?

Hi Ben! The crazy shaped fella is neato!

B

Hey GMAN, Where you been? I Know you'll come out when we need a title cop, thanx, I'll fix it tomorrow maybe.
You OK.Call me tomorrow
Miss'ya

i dig the brothers ben. i'd be thrilled to end up with one.

BD

benz,
your stuff still just amazes me. the detail you get in the space you use is just amazing. great work as usual.

bd

S

Nice Benz the brother look cool.
That large curving headdress gives me food for thought.

B

Bullet Thanks, the choice is yours, you can have either one you want, One is definitely for you!

Thanks Big daddy I Try to cram as much as I can in there, Glad you like!

Grom tiki carver, thanks, glad you already had breakfast, thinking for you though might be dangerous? :o :D

Back to Work now guyz

C

All hail Ben, king of the Lonos!

i wanna party with the Koa brothers!
love how you soooo take advanyage of the curves nature gives you
it shoots life and movement into them!

you rock.
nuff said!
:)

I like the curved piece of wood. The curve gives it that feel like it was natural piece of wood in that shape - you know how I like that.

T

Benzart doesn't need help making his pieces look even more amazing, but the curved wood definitely adds some dynamics. Go party Koa bros!

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2009 9:55 PM

Well???

So much in such a small package!

Classic Benzart Lono stylings!

Love the micro details on these guys, and some great character to the curved one!

On 2009-07-08 21:55, Bowana wrote:
Well???

I know where the unfinished ones go! THE BOX!!

T

If you hadn't put the ruler in there i'd say, "That's impossible!" :wink:

Hard to fathom how you get so much dimension out of such small pieces....

B

I had a whole post here but pushed the wrong buttom so had to redo it and I'll finish the other half tomorrow, Meanwhile the story is there and I'll be out of commission for a few days anyway. 22 stitches in this deep cut,11 deep inside and 11 on the surface.

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 9:48 PM

OH SH*T!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 10:00 PM

Man that sucks! Just when you were on a roll and back in the zone again.
I take it the knife pictured was the culprit?
Sending healing thoughts your way....
:(

Yeeesh!

Time to take all your knives away from you Ben!

Nothing but dull tools from here on out! :wink:

Sending healing Mana your way!

The Lono looks great, but you paid a steep price.

Double Yeeesh!

Ok, I have to stop thinking about it now. :o

Get well soon!

The tiki gods are extracting their sacrifices I see. I hope there's no nerve damage, positive energy going your way from me.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 10, 2009 4:30 AM

We're gonna need to start calling you "Lefty."

Now what did you go and do that for? Not getting enough attention at home?

-G

You don't get knicked if you only sit on the couch.... Scars are like tattoos with better stories.

Nice carvings Ben, but don't do that to us! I mean you, yeah, don't do that to you.
Take a short little carving break and heal up. Sherry takes good care of you, so you'll be back in no time at all. :)

You were just singing that knive's praises at Hukilau! How it sharpens so nicely. That must have been a hell of a slip to get you on the back of the hand??

BD

OUCH! that cut looks really bad (and that's just through the bandages), and that's alot of stitches benz. i could understand the palm but HOW did you gouge the back of your hand? were you drinkin' and carvin'? it's time to be more careful cuz the adults will come and take all your toys away. hope you heal fast and well.

bd

YOWTCH!

maybe you should try a butterknife
and carve soap for awhile!
:lol:

Heal quickly Benz
there's more goodies you have to create!

Nice pendant! We don't get to see the cut itself? I think we all know the slip of the knife and have the scars to prove it. They do make Kevlar gloves for carvers. Keep up the great carving.

Ouchhhhhhhhhh! Make sure you take lots of the right vitamins and minerals. That was the key when Scott amputate his three fingers and the put them back together. Literally the day after we went to our local witch doctor (our local vitamin and health food store) and she gave us step by step what to take and what I needed to cook for him for the entire healing process. It was so successful that his reconstruction doctor wrote a letter to work comp and they reimbursed us for 100% of the vitamins.

Hang in there!

Jen

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies