Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

B

On 2009-09-14 18:30, Benzart wrote:

Benny, Thanks for sure, Glad you like him so much. He's actually going over to your part of the globe to a certain box maker who has touched us all I think?
Happyhappy

Hi Ben, yes I knew about this swap and I'm happy happy happy for France wich will host this treasure, happy for Laojia the genius box/bench maker, and happy for me because I know that Laojia is nice enough to show it to me when will meet next time and maybe I'll touch it :lol: ... yipee !

Mahalo,

Bennno.

L

On 2009-09-17 11:15, benella wrote:
Laojia is nice enough to show it to me when will meet next time and maybe I'll touch it :lol: ... yipee !

Mahalo,

Bennno.

Show it, ok! But touch it, I'm not sure! :P :lol: :P
Or that you will be very expensive in Belgian beer!!! :roll:

Cheers !

J.

B

TikiG, Many thanks for all the kind words, I've been wanting to use that malachite piece ever since I broke the ash tray but the first time I put a grinder to it the black dust that came forth was horrendous. So when trying to determine what to use for these eyes I came across this stuff in a box of Abalone shells I had and there it is, Glad you like it. Happy about the "finger print" stuff, hadn't thought of it that way but it works, Thanks again.

Thanks TheBigT, love hearing your positive feelings.

Benella, thanks, looks like you may be seeing this guy soon then but careful with the touch? :o :)

Jerome, Thanks and we will definitely get that word to benella lest he lose a finger or 3. :D

Here is the Toggle and an up date on the other tusk

Too much goodness! Now you'll have to get yourself a pet hog and carve his live tusks! Then add to the design as he grows... that's the only way I can see you topping these.

S

Holly crap Benz! This sucker looks like a gift from the Gods!
Showing us again that you are the Master.

N

simply superb

L

On 2009-09-18 15:40, nomolos wrote:
simply superb

That's right word!
The toggle is lovely!

J.

Thanks for the visit today Benz. The tiki looks great. When i got home I had some Honey-dos, but after I dove into tusk and really like it. it is harder than the bone which is nice. I always thought the bone was a little soft. Pictures soon.

B

Thanks T-Mango, a Pet hog sounds pretty cool, and carving his tusks will be easy if I can get YOU to Hold him down while I do it? :o :lol:

Seeks, thanks, I'm just trying to make it look good and follow the drawing I tried to do on it, hopefully it will stay outta the "Box".

Nomolos, Thnaks.

Laojia,thank you too, Glad you like the toggle. Isn't that what started this whole thing?? :)

Aloha Station, no, it's thank YOU for the visit, it was you and Will who visited me, remember? :) Really cool stuff you are working on, Will too!
Glad you like the tusk can't wait to see it?

L

On 2009-09-21 08:17, Benzart wrote:
Glad you like the toggle. Isn't that what started this whole thing?? :)

Right! :) :) :)

Wow, that is just beggint to be in my next photo shoot... you may have to send that right over :wink:

C

wow very beautiful! sigh..

B

Laioja,

On 2009-09-21 20:54, laojia wrote:

Laojia, If I remember it was for a Gator tooth to be carved with the spirals as a pendant with a toggle of I presume another Gator tooth.
SO Is that what I should go back to?
Too Late as I have already carved an Ivory Wart Hog Tusk with a carved Gators tooth and pieces will be be exchanged and waving Hello out the Airplane window between here and France
COOL!

Blowfish, When IS your next Photo Shoot and Where is your next photo shoot, We could make arrangements though this guy gets a bit clingie when he thinks he has found a new home.
Blowfish, I still have a few stamps started and not quite complete too perhaps they can be part of a big deal?? :)

Clarita, Thanks for the kind words and Why the Sigh..?

The one side is about finished now and will finish on the next side soon. don't have photos yet but will try to get some tonight.
Happy Happy Happy !

B

Laioja,

On 2009-09-21 20:54, laojia wrote:

Laojia, If I remember it was for a Gator tooth to be carved with the spirals as a pendant with a toggle of I presume another Gator tooth.
SO Is that what I should go back to?
Too Late as I have already carved an Ivory Wart Hog Tusk with a carved Gators tooth and pieces will be be exchanged and waving Hello out the Airplane window between here and France
COOL!

Blowfish, When IS your next Photo Shoot and Where is your next photo shoot, We could make arrangements though this guy gets a bit clingie when he thinks he has found a new home.
Blowfish, I still have a few stamps started and not quite complete too perhaps they can be part of a big deal?? :)

Clarita, Thanks for the kind words and Why the Sigh..?

The one side is about finished now and will finish on the next side soon. don't have photos yet but will try to get some tonight.
Happy Happy Happy !

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-09-22 22:05 ]

E

So absolutely beautiful... :)

I saw the tusks first-hand and have say they are even better in person (really). The amount of detail made my eyes hurt just looking at it - I can't imaging trying to carve that small! I am trying...

B

Thanks Ellly, Glad you like these.

Tom Glad you could see them in person and even Gladder you carved a tusk of your own..

Here's the Maori head I had started

Eeeeeewwwww. Looks like me when I watch the Packers! Really nice one
here Benz....was starting to wonder what you were up to.

L

Another magical pendant carved! How do you manage to give an expression so personal to your subject? It's really a mystery to me...

Waiting for more progress pic and détails!

Cheers sensei carver!

Jérôme.

Really great head being created here. Is that tusk or bone, I am guessing tusk? This piece is already dripping skill, expertise, and experience!

It's magic isn't it...come on tell me!!?!?

Ben, I don't ever post anything on your thread (it's not like you need my input :) ) But I look often, your work always amazes and inspires me. Got to take a hands-on look at one of your pieces (Babalu's) and I was blown away. Keep doin' that voodoo that you do so well.

B

Thanks Conga, You KNOW I can't gop very far from the bench!

Laojia, Thanks, Appreciate the kind words. Not long now.

T-Mango, Your kind words too really feel good, and Tusk IT Is for sure, I don't know about dripping in Experience but he is Certainly providing a good deal of that stuff!

Surfin Surfer, OF Course it's Magic, You don't believe they would really let me Carve a piece of bone now Do YOU? No Way, Just a twitch of the wand makes it look like I'm working my butt off!

OK so Here's a small update from today, Lots of cleanup and re-shaping to doQ :)

B

MaddogMike, Thanks, you must have been posting the same time as I was, I Appreciate your props and am glad you got to see a bit of my work up close, it really Does make a difference. No matter How I try to photograph a piece, there is just Always something missing.

I know I Need to get over to the "Other side" of the Creating forums too as I KNOW there is stuff over there waiting to blow my mind.

***************TOO Much Great Art on TC!!!

:o STUNNING! (adj) :o

Definition: beautiful, marvelous

Synonyms: beauteous, bonny, brilliant, comely, dazzling, devastating, excellent, fair, famous, fine, first-class*, first-rate, flabbergast, gorgeous, great, handsome, heavenly, impressive, lovely, number one, out of this world, pretty, ravishing, remarkable, royal, regal, sensational, smashing, spectacular, striking, superior, top, wonderful

Ok Benz, ...what tool do you use to make curved lines in bone? Or what type of burr? I find none of the burr shapes work, maybe the reverse cone.

C

the expression on his face is so realistic, I am amazed by that, very very expressive, congrats!

B

Jeez Ben!! You just keep cranking out the hits!

We were all talking at the last Chop about how fun is was going to be to get you out here. We are going to have to have a big Chop when you come out for Oasis next year.

The BenZ Chop!

B

Jonesey, Thanks a zillion times for the props. You must be breathless after all those !WOW, Great.

Hey Surfin tiki, you want me to tell you how to DO IT Now???
Sure!I used a bunch of burs, starting with a 3mm steel wheel that I Modified on a fine diamond bur to be a knife edge bur and with that I did all the initial lines Except the small round koru's. Then I used a Krause bur (pointed)to do those small circles and to clean the other lines a bit. Then a small fine diamond wheel to shape the long lines into a ribbon look. The same modified wheel I used for the hair after shaping the hair surface so it would not look all flat and straight. I have a lot more cleanup on him yet to do so I may need more burs to be re-shaped into useful shapes.
Hope that helps so now you can go do one OK, I'll expect it SOON.
:o :P :lol:

Dear Clarita, thanks so Much, you know by now for my faces I Always try to have someone in there looking out at you, glad he found you!!

Thanks Babs, I appreciate you all talking about me..? Maybe I should just come out for a chop instead?

He is going through an Ugly stage at the moment needing a lot of clean up so I couldn't get many great photos.

The detail on this guy is super slick Ben!

I keep going back to the mouth... amazing!

The depth, detail and delicateness... totally lifelike!

Big congrats, even if you think he's a bit rough still... he's gonna blow doors when he's polished!

B

Thanks Lake, He's been a bit of intensive work and he's Almost done, Just the eyes and a bit of polishing left

B

WOW
The teeth, the hair, the moko, the nose... everything's perfect once again.

Hat's off, Sir.

Bennno.

wow you are the man that is awesome

B

Thanks benella, I'm not sure Perfect is the word but thanks for the kind words.

Marcus, Nice seeing you out and about, thanks for the comps. Your last post had the guy with the mouth open so I figured I'd give it a try, Thanks for the inspiration! :) :o
How things going with the new house?

All hail Benz!
Holy cow old fella, that is one crazy carving. That's why we all love you
so much. You just don't quit until everything is "just right," sorta like
porridge, not too hot and not too cold. Wait....all of your stuff is
"too hot." Now please, get back to work :)

Now THAT's a Maori head!
this one has something more than the last..
a thrust,a lil more life,insaner detail....
something...
man,benz!
you are a Big ball of AWESOME,my friend!
Give dat MokoHead some peepers!
:)

YEAH Benz! You've got more textures on that bone than a carpet store! I swear your using a magnifying glass in front of another magnifying glass. As G would say "Daaaaaaaayummmm"
(translates to, mighty fine piece of work) :D

T

:o :o Wow Benz, this is better than the best.. You're on a roll as usual. Sorry I haven't stopped in here lately to soak up all your talent! I've missed a lot here. Keep up with all the great details. Now I have to go back and read this again to make sure I didn't skip over any of your great pieces, or should I say Works of Art? Niceeeeee :D

Dang Benz, this one is going to haunt my dreams. You're awsomeness is unrivaled!

B

Hey Conga, Thanks for the Hot, kind words, yes he's dragging on too long. would have been done but the eyes i did didn't work and i have to re-do them, so one more day's work and he'll be lookin' for a home, kinda like the boll-weevil.

Thanks Kinny, I'm still workin on his peepers. thats one I've never been called before " Big ball of AWESOME",thanks again.

Surfin, thanks for the comps, and as for the mags on top of mags, funny you should mention that as I've been using a setup that uses 2 lenses, one in front of the other.

T-Pak, Yeah, Where have you BEEN? thanks for the kind words.

Cheeky half, Thanks for stopping by with such compliments, much appreciated.

One more day of work and he'll be done, pix tomorrow.

B

Well here's another Update but more like a step back.
He finally has eyes now after 2 previous attempts thet I didn't like and now these are the worse of the bunch so I'll either fix them or throw him in "The Box". He needs some plastic surgery and some clean up.

BD

ah-mazin'!!!! benz the amount of detail you put into your pieces is just incredible. really just leaves you speechless to see your work. another beautiful piece.

bd

T

I know you won't let a little Maori head beat you Ben! This guy is too perfect to find a home Da Box. Amazing details.

T

Jeepers creepers, he's got big peepers! :P Another amazing carving Ben. I'm sure you'll work out the eyes to your liking. Incredibly realistic carving, the hair is awesome.

Seeing how you are trying to shape something that is the size of a grain of sand - they came out pretty good. I used your nail trick on the eyeball of my tusk. Here's the tip...

When creating a small inlay - take a nail and super glue material to the head. You can then use the nail as a handle while shaping. Brilliant.

Worked like a champ!

B

Last update is already old, Sir B. :wink:

N

Maybe no inlay is the answer it looks fantastic without the eyes. Will the bone take a little black marking with some permanent marker or paint if so a black horizontal line accross the middle of the eyes may work

N

like this?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies