Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

J

Candy

C

Benz Tha Hei tiki is SO beautiful, special, inspired. I don't now how to explain how great I think it is. I'm very glad to see you are carving, your work is like candy to my soul, thanks.

I love the glow factor, the extra effort you took to carve out the back to make the translucence(is that the right word?) POP! The detail work is so crisp. What kind of tools/burs do you use?

Beautiful work Ben!

K

Hey Benz that's pretty good!! Ok its friggin really good!
How bought some gold, rubies and diamonds on the next one, the carvings cant get any better can they? So I figure the metals, rocks and gems can :)

B

Good Morning Tiki Carver Land, Warmer weather is almost here to Stay, HoooRAYYY I've been hobbling around on a bad knee and generally feeling like Crap from the cold and I Know most of you guys are having a Worse winter than we are here in south Florida but is still has wrecked my bonez. The black jade piece was a great start for me and it really helped make things warmer here and got me back into the shop- more. I Really appreciate all your support and comments:

Kingstiedye Thanks for the props, I appreciate you being there!

AKUAE, Thank you TOO, even though I Know I'm not perfect and nothing I Create is perfect it's nice to hear.

Benella,,, YES, Thanks I did ude my favorite Nail. :P The eyes are Red Abalone, from Basement Kahuna a few years ago, even though they look like different colors, they came from the same slice side by side.

Seeksurf, thanks for the kind words,,, See you at Hukilau???

Danlovestikis, Thanks Wendy, yes I'll do the gallery when I figure where to start??? :o

Big Tiki Scott, Thankkkkks for the comps, Glad you like him and Thanks for your constant support!

Tiki Dudley, Thanks Dustin, Glad to see you back around.

Johnny P, Yep, want me to wrap you up Some?? Thanks John!

Clarita, My Fav girl out there in tiki land, Thanks for your Always sunshiny bright smiles and kind words, Glad you're there.

Coconutzo,, Thanks, glad you liked the hollowing out thing, it really helps the translucence ( I GUESS that's the right word.) And makes it Lighter. Tools are all diamond burs, some standard and some dental and all with water to cool them down..

Lake, Thanks Dave, appreciate your coming 'round. How do you do the cold thing??

Keigs, Chuckle,,, You do make me laff!! Thanks for the comps and fun times, I suppose I Could go gold or sumpthin? Or maybe diamond eyes on a tiki pendant?? Actually I have a Ku coming up with just that, Stay tuned!!

You guys are The Greatest and I could not do this without your support.
On another note, Anyone interested in another Coon Tiki seminar, teaching/learning/fun thingy up in the Tennessee Mountains at the "Mountain Woodcarvers" store and campus?
Let me know OR let Swanky know

HappyHappyHAPPY!

lovin that Black jade Boy!
WOW!
The Eyes just pierce!
and those shots with the backlighting
Electric!
The way some semi-transparent stones collect and radiate light
is one of nature's most inspiring delights!
and you took that natural tendancy of the jade and carved it
to do that better than nature could have!!!!!

I'm glad you work so slow
my brain couldn't handle it
if you created one of these a week!
:)

Benz, another beautiful piece! I love the way the light shines thru the piece to show the green, just stunning!

amy

T

BIG BEN that thing is gorgeous against the light!!!

hey benz right back at yah w the constant support!!! And I wld be interested in the carvin seminar dependin on when it is! I have family in the northcarolina smoky mtn area so...... Cheerz!!

hey benz right back at yah w the constant support!!! And I wld be interested in the carvin seminar dependin on when it is! I have family in the northcarolina smoky mtn area so...... Cheerz!!

B

Thanks LLT, Appreciate the comps and yes it would hurt ME if I did these every day.

Thanks Amy, Glad you likee!

Tikigodz, thanks too for the props, now if Only the wearer could carry around a light..... :P

Big Tiki Scott thanks, OK, baybe we will Finally meet, Cool!

Heres a shot of the black hei-tiki with the cord and toggle. The toggle represents the "Whitefish" he has been eating recently, guess I shoul'da done it in white stone?

ALSO, Heres one I started on which finally started showing a good sized crack and the more I sanded the more it showed. I finally decided to see if I could snap it with my fingers and DID... :(

Now what, Any suggestions??

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 8:31 AM

Benzart -

a couple of ideas come to mind,

1: Stash both pieces away into your magic box for awhile...come back to the pieces when another future project calls for them
2: Re-do the "whitefish" toggle on the black hei-tiki with some of that white material

The black hei tiki is fabulous by the way. Mana emanates from that piece, I can feel it here in Cali.

Take care and Thanks for posting!

B

Thanks TikiG, I Appreciate your Kind words and suggestions. I'm sure something will present itself fairly soon as I have several pieces in the works which need to be finished soon for the Gallery show.

L

On 2010-03-17 08:21, Benzart wrote:

Now what, Any suggestions??

You can also send it to me... I'm sure I'd do something! :roll: :P

Seriously, you can keep the large piece to do the tongue of a larger carving...

Cheers!

J.

B

Thanks "J.",, it worked on you but not meee? Send it right over!
Heres some stuff nearing completion on my bench now.

And Finally, new eyes for this guy

W

All right ! High speed machinery.
I knew you were holding out on us.
Some thing for every one there.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 3:27 AM

Great work Ben :D

Great looking Carvings Ben!!! Your really crankin out something more amazing with each piece!Talk to ya soon,Aloha, Mooney

Cool looking candy there Mr Benz.

Im going to be a now show again on The Hula thing?
Someday i would love too.

Working allot of overtime, getting ready for the summer play time.

B

Thanks P{Lugger,
You too Hewey,
Mooney, even you too,,, See'ya soon?
Seeker,,,,, No Sho???? Noooo
well thanx any way for the props.
Heres some news, some good some not sop good.

P

man, ben, i didn't see that pic. that sucks balls. was it an internal fissure? i bet you can't predict or see those in that purple stone. it almost looks like purple heart.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 10:29 PM

P

how are you ben i hope you are well. keep up the awesome work my friend

J

That breaks my heart! :(

that sucky sucky!!! benz i think i missed sum of these wood guys there comin alon g sweeet!!! cheerz benz!!

Oh Ben, so sorry to see that purple heart looking like that! That's 2 broken works for the month, right? Hurry up April!

S

That sucks! a broken heart. The mint stone looks yummy.

L

Me too, my heart is breaking :( ... Luckily there is the Maori warrior to give me a smile! :wink:

Waiting for more now.

Cheers sensei carver!

J.

B

Thanks to everyone for the condolences I appreciate your thoughts. There's just something about seeing a heart broken in pieces.
Thanks for the props too, they keep me going.

BD

damn benz that's really a bummer about your broken pieces, leaves me with a heavy heart. still great to see you carving up a storm.

bd

CA

hate it when that happens Benz... got a few hours into som'in and blam-o......I had one of those last Oct. Sculpting my green-wear has been a bit white'Knuckle-ish myself.

T

This is only telling you one thing. Wood wants you back

T

I say, go with the bones BenZ.. Or even stones, cause Love is always a stones throw away!
:D

Throw those stones my way!! Even if it breaks your heart!! WOO WOO :lol:

B

Thanks Big Daddy, I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often because most of the time I'm carving right on the edge where one little slip and it is done for, so really it isn't too bad,, But it still sucks.

Al, Thanks man,, I Know you have been there too, just looking at some of your stuff I know you are following that "Edge" many times..

Thanks TEAkey ( :P )I Do have some woodies in 'da work too, look at the bottom! :D

T-Pak,, Thanks girl,, Where you been, finally thawing out?
I know you likes dem bonz an' stonz, really you just like the benzart stuff.

Thanks Surfin, Will do. Maybe, Not! :o

Here's a couple in the works that are getting closer.

OOOOOO! this looks to be very interesting!
even at that early stage
it contains that Benz glimmer!
so many materials....
so much geenie-us!
:)

Good stuff Benzo...nice to see you still hacking away at stones and wood.
I really like the little green fella....what is going on there? Sorta looks
like an Indian chief. Pretty soon you'll be carving the worlds smallest
cigar store indians.

L

On 2010-03-29 08:14, Benzart wrote:

I'm curious, what do you plan to inlay the eyes?

J.

B

Thanks LLT, That was the back of the one I'll post here..

Conga,, Thanks but No cigar store indians.. :o :P

Jerome,, Inlays for the eyes,,,, well Maybeee. Thanks
A Hint.

T

Hey BenZ, not only are you double posting here, you're not letting this poor guy get any sleep.. He's got some really bad Red Eye going on here! Keep him off the jets so he can rest a bit! Just how big is this guy? Can't wait to see him complete.. Just send him my way.. :lol:

T

Great stuff Ben! So many unusual pieces coming out from you, where's this inspiration coming from? Send a tiny bit my way. :wink:

T

love the detials!!

S

Great looking whale there Mr Benz. Dam that little Ku looks like a demon with the
red eyes Love it!

C

Beautiful new ones! very nice to see, you are with a lot of pieces on the works, happy happy :)

B

Thanks T-Pak, Yeah yeah yeah...3 feet tall and he's not going anywhere??

Mango, Thanks Bro, 'preciate the good words... Come and get some any time!!

Tikigodz, thanks

Seeks, Thanks on the whale and Ku and Yes he's a little Demon, several of my fingers Hurt after working on him! :o

Clarita,, Thanks, it's Nice to be thawing out so I Can work..

B

Wow, what a way to greet a Sunday morning...this is :up: is quite the BenZ fix!...thank you sir!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies