Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

C

Talking about putting a lot of yourself into your work...
wow! that's why you are 'the chief' no doubt about it, amazing style, amazing pieces!

BIG BEN that tiki is awesome I cant believe the details!!!!!
Your still showing us newbs how it really gets done!

I'm happy to see that you finally got around to finishing that Lono. Just let me know when I can come pick him up?? It only took you 3 years(?) to getting around to finishing him up!! Oh yeah - the other stuff looks great too.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 11, 2010 8:02 PM

That Lono is amazing Ben, nice work :D

L

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Sensei carver!!
Wood , amazing... This long-awaited Lono, The little whale went to fetch?
Stone , excelent... Waiting for the a perfect lashing, as usual.
Bone tusk, looking so smooth... wonderful stuff!

Thank's for sharing.

Cheers!

J.

A
amate posted on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 8:53 AM

Just when I thought I had seen it all. You never fail to amaze! The lono is stunning!!

T6

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Simply....................WOW!
I like the natural curve, it gives it extra character and depth. Every piece you carve has a special look about it. That's why it is so enjoyable to look thru your thread time and time again. Thanks for sharing your incredible talent with me and the whole TC community. :)

When I go over to Swanky's I'm able to look at one of your bigger carves.
It seems to capture my attention every time.

Aloha & Mahalo
Tiki 65

S

Maybe off topic here, but where did you get that mahogany? I can't find anything bigger than 3 inches to cave and I really want more like 6.

Are you just getting that guy finished or is this another one. I swear I recall that guy from a while back. Makes me want to not stain but wax some stuf... Nice.

gasp........i just passed out

out of all the great work displayed on TC, i spend a lot of my time just going through your stuff. i don't comment as much as everyone else because im just starting out myself and dont have much to contribute to a master such as yourself. your style and technique is amazing ben.......i think you should right a book or something. i'll pre-order mine now.

Actually, have you ever thought of doing a book of your art?

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-04-12 13:17 ]

S

Benz like a said This Lono is a true inspiration to me and has had a huge impact on what a lono is to me.
Happy Happy Happy!

B

Speechless !
That Lono is THE king of Masterpieces.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

Benz, Truly amazing carve you made, that Headdress is simply amazing!!
Can I second a book of all your work by the way, that would be awesome you know...

Aloha

B

I remember this mean little mutha!

Oh, YEAH!

Bowie

Beautiful Lono Benz. Great to see you working wood again. Always
love your BenzLonoz.

Spending the week in Tennessee near Townsend, brings back memories
of Coontiki.

Been readin up on about 8 pages of amazing cool stuff you keep making in all these disciplines.
Glad to be back if only for seeing your latest.

curly lono! he's always been my favorite, even unfinished. congrats ben on finishing an epic carve. the bone maori warrior is stunning too.

That Lono is no fear, no doubt, all in, and balls out!!!!

Does mahogany grow in FL or did you have to import it?

Mike and others - Mahogany does grow down here. A few years ago I scored a nice haul (Benz and some others picked up some too) when a shopping center clear cut their parking lot. I filled my truck! I've only just begun to carve what I have. Ben has a pretty nice stash of wood and many other materials in his workshop. That log came from another source.

BT

Amazing lono, that headdress must've taken some time. Cool original design in it too.

Benz, that lono has to be one of my favorites! Give yourself a big pat on the back :)

Ben-Awesome work on the lono that headdress is insane!Cheers Watango

B

WOW, I don't think I have Ever been away this long, Too long and I'm Happy to be back. Just been Lazy and without a laptop it was too hard but now that is fixed and I'm back in business. Haven't even been carving much at all and I have tons of stuff to do.

Babalu, thanks,, Glad the "Fix Worked., thanks for the vizit!

Clarita, Thanks, I think you would even like just the wood chips??

tikigodz, thanks too, I've been working on that guy for Years and lots of TCr's have watched him be bornGlad you like him too.

Tom, thanks, C'mon up, yeah you've been lusting for this one for awhile hey?

Hewey, Long time it's been, Thanks for the props mate!

Jerome, Yes Finally the Lono gets his final sanding and several coats of lacquer, then the ivories finally received their final polish and cords and the Kokopu Moai finally got a fez and cord.Glad you liked them, I'll post final photos soon!

Thanks Amate, Happy you like him.

Tiki65, Thanks for the props my friend, I Love finding unusually shaped media, it is challenging to get what you want out of it. Say to Tim?

Hey Swank. this Mahogany came from either one of the hurricanes we had or from a parking lot clear-cut comp's of Aloha Station a few years ago. Yes it is the Same one I've been working on for a Long long time. I Might have a six inch piece I can part with, I'll look,, you gonna be at Hukilau?
His finish is total clear semi-gloss spray lacquer, Cabots brand. At least 6 coats, sanding between each coat with a 320 grit sanding mop from /klingspores Woodworking..

Hey Thanks Creative Chimp,,for all the kind words and praise, I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Yes I've thought about a book but not much, it's beyond my capabilities..

Seeks, Thanks for that as I consider your Lono to be about as Perfect as one could get and far beyond my skills and in fact YOURS has been an inspiration to me too! Funny how a piece hanging around so long touches so many people and at the same time I get inspired by Many different pieces along the way. Thanks Seeks.

Benella, thanks for your long time continued support from half way around the world, I appreciate your comps.

Thanks Beachbumz, glad you like him.. I guess I'm gonna have to try to figure out a way to do a book.

Bows, Thanks, I guess he's been around long enough for the dads and their kids to know him. Thanks for the props.

Conga,Thanks and it Does feel great to get some sawdust and chips in the air, it's like working for 3 bosses and they all want to be #1 and the wood guy carries the biggest stick! Yeah, Coontiki!

Grapa Ruha, Thanks a bunch,,see the above, while it's fun and interesting it is demanding and the support from peeps like you and everyone else here make it worthwhile.

Bullet,,, Thanks big time for your props and support too, glad you liked the bonez too!

MadDogMike, Thanks for the Cool Props. This IS called Florida Mahogany a close cousin to the Beautiful Cuban Mahogany. It only comes around from Storm damage or construction clearing as it is considered an ornamental tree. Thanks.

Thanks Aloha, come to think of it it did come from the hurricanes, I thought not but he had already been around awhile when your parking lot came down.. Thanks.

Badd Tiki yeah, the headdress was a snap,,,, for about 3 years worth!! Thanks for the kind words

Thanks T-Terrace, I'm happy you have been around long enough to see this guy happen..

Thanks Watango I've Worked on it enough it Should be done and I should be the Insane one!

Thanks again to everyone and for all the props and comps. I pretty much believe he is my last Bigbenzart as the big guys and bigger tools are getting too tough for me to use. In Still have LOTs of Wood to carve but in the smaller shapes. Thanks again.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/benzart]FACEBOOK[/url/

[ Edited by: Benzart 2010-05-11 07:35 ]

W

Ben,
What did you have for breakfast yesterday ???
Thanks for the thoughts.
Will

*On 2010-05-09 19:20, Benzart wrote:*I pretty much believe he is my last Bigbenzart as the big guys and bigger tools are getting too tough for me to use.

say it ain't so, ben!

*On 2010-05-09 19:20, Benzart wrote:*Still have LOTs of Wood to carve but in the smaller shapes

whew, that's good to hear!

T

Hey Ben, love all your latest stuff. You have truly been a carving maniac this spring. Looks like I've been missing out on some great stuff.

Don't the power chisels help you on the big stuff? I don't have one yet, but I was hoping something like the arbortech power chisel would ease some wear and tear on my shoulder.

B

Thanks Plugger,, Wheaties of course~

No Worries Bullet, I Have lots of wood left to carve, just not Large pieces. Thanks..

The Big T, Glad you like the stuff aand I'm sure there will be more.Appreciate the props, Cheers.

Heres some left from the Bold Hype

Here are some progress shots of a new Lono Pendant. He's about 4 inches tall made from Mahogany.

Can't say yet exactly when he will be done but soon..Cheers

S

Love those lono's. In fact when i think Lono you come to mind?

TT

Great comeback! Hang Loose,Benzart!

A

Great stuff! I love the nose.

B

Thanks Seeks, I think the Lono is my favorite tiki to carve.

Thanks TikiTonz, Yep I'm hangin'

Amate, the Noze knowz,, Thanks.

Here is that lono finally complete plus some others in the works.

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 22, 2010 11:09 AM

Masterful.

J

:D :D :D

king of da lonos! although that ku is looking pretty sweet too.

Ahhhhhh Yes! The king of inspiration is back! Explain the red eye? Is he fresh off a plane flight from Honolulu?

how are you buddy keep up the awesome work

BenZart LONO'z ROCK!! Your * False Idol's * 'Curly Lono' is INCREDIBLE! Did anyone snag that bad boy? DANG SsweeetT twisty,curvy, curly carves on da buggah!!! Stay limber in lumber big BenZ! Carve more but in shorter bursts of time...pain is not a game. Stay healthy! :D

L

HUmmm!!! Wood become so good in your hands sensei carver...

Cheers!

J.

B

Grog,, Thanks

Jen, Thanks, I Thought you might be liking this guy for Some reason!!

Thanks Bullet.. Congrats on getting the Curly Lono Too!

Surfin, yea, right there on the seat next to you? Thanks.

Marcus, Thanks, I'm dfoin' great,

Jonesey, thanks, Yes gotta stay in the woods. Bullet got the curly Lono.

Laojia, Thanks and I'm seeing the wood cave in to your wishes too. :o

B

really like the lady so far,and great to see some more stuff in wood

B

SOOOOOOOO Much beauties ! How does this magic inspiration come to your brain ???!!!!!???
Happy, happy, happy

Big Mahalo,

Bennno.

S

You know i love the lono. The lady is coming to life big time.

P

Wow, very humbling looking at your stuff.

That lono is off the chain!

B

Thanks guys, Appreciate the support.
Haven't been doing much but here is a piece TikiG pulled out of my "Box of 50" and asked If I could do anything with it.
This piece was more than a few years hiding in that drawer/box. Just gave him Paua eyes today and will finish him up this weekend. The eyes are just sitting in for now, epoxy coming soon.

i already posted this in my collecting thread, but i know you artists hardly ever get over there. curly lono arrived at his new home today!

he's definitely one of my most prized posessions. mahalo ben!
g got to look in the box?!? i am so jealous! the eyes look great. i hope g is gonna be the lucky owner of this beauty.

T

Yeah, this new Benzart will come home to me when its finished. It's already one of my prized artifacts :)

Thanks Ben for posting.

Killer Benzart Lono, Bullet. I can't wait to see pics of your decorated pad when you get the chance, man!

God Bless you guys. G

P

Awesome!

Ben, those Pau eyes are sweeeeet! Where do you get your shells? sweet sweet sweet

B

Thanks for the Pic Bullet, I'm Happy he made the trip with no issues. Yeah, TikiG got to look in the box,, saw Curly before he got shipped out too!! Can't wait to see the Tiki Room Photos..

TikiG, Thanks too. Your guy is finished and will be finding his way home soon.. I gave him a 2 tone cord Ala TikiMango!!!!(thanks Ray.)

Pjc5150, thank you too!

Thanks a bunch Surfin, This giand piece of Abalone came from our own BK, Basement kahuna for the uninitiated and I think it was California Abalone, about 8 inches across.

The eyes are large, Almost 1/2" across and hollowed out in the back down to 1.5mm. They glow a bit red with a back light but are not as translucent as I had hoped for, still they give an Evil looking glare!
Here are the final shots of this guy.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies