Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Jul 3, 2010 10:48 AM

Speechless...somebody get me a glass of water!

Thanks, Ben

B

WOW, I don't know how the paua stands in the orbits but to me it's only a kind of magic !

Thanks for those pix, Sir B.

B.(2)

This is so evocative of one of my favorite Maori portraits
very nice work.

S1

Awesome Ben......YOU RULE!

B

Thanks G,, Water Coming..

benella, Thanks, and Its OK, I'll explain it to you soon.,, No Worries!

Thanks Atomic tiki, I too see the Intensity,, I'd love to do that favorite of yours some day too!. Incredible!

Thanks Steve13,, I rule My roost and I don't know about any other rulings
HappyHappyHappy

T

That's very cool, Ben. He looks pretty evil even without the backlighting. I like how the lips fit so well with the look of the "fins" all over his face.

Looks like a model for the next ironman nemesis. Benzo, you never cease to amaze. Right on!

J

striking as always.

Yeah got some personality Braddah Benz.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2010 10:42 AM

:o Now that's magic!

The Eyes! #127 was worth the WAIT!
It took Greg to coax it out and Benz to give it that POW!

and that Curly lono is and always will be AMAZING!

Above and Beyond,my friend..

H

Glad I stopped by, it's always fun to see your newest creations. Just don't stop, keep them coming.

Sweet work on the last tiki Ben! As everyone else said, you nailed it with those eyes!
Very entrancing!

C

..I don't know about the wood chips ( even I have to say I did dig tikimecula's) but I for sure love this pendant, really great!

L

On 2010-06-25 20:03, Benzart wrote:

What his look! Impressive! He seeks the one who stole her body? :roll:

And what news on the bench?

J.

S

Killer carve Benz, magic is a understatement. Does he talk? because if he had legs i don't think he would stay around. Whats Ponchos dads name? (Benz)

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 22, 2010 8:52 AM

Yesterday was good. Benzart #127 found his way home to me.

This little mutha has powerful mojo associated with him - as does the pendant :wink:

Thanks Ben for working your magic on this once forgotten piece...a personal treasure. G

S

Dam! me jealous mo-fo

L

We should see one big smile on the photo with a pendant like this one ... :P :P :P :P

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jul 26, 2010 7:19 AM

Aloha!

Okay, okay tiki peeps...here's the yang to the yin...my Benzart #127 happy pic!

Thanks for the impetus to post this pic, laojia!

G was wearing this piece when he popped by the batcave on Saturday...
MASTERPIECE ALERT!
the eyes are out of control!
Ben has packed some MANA in that lil fellah!

B

WOW, I'm SO Far behind here I can't believe it, Thanks G and Everyone else, your comments really do keep me going. I Must be honest though, when I stop by FB first I just can't seem to get anything else done on the computer. I GOTTA Change that, you guys are Fambly.
Las Vegas was a Blast and seeing the old Trop pieces really was draining. After 20+ years to see some of them still in great shape was amazing Here they are again. Thanks Again My Brothers and Sistuhs. :) :D

S

Man i cant imagine seeing these guys after 20 years. I have seen all these pics
before, but don't know anything about them.
Where did you carve these? Who commissioned you? who owns them now? Have they been together all this time?

Holy Carp, Ben!
When were you here in Vegas? I wish ya woulda dropped me a P.M. so we could have gotten together for a visit. By the way, I've been looking for those Tikis since I met you at Coon Tiki and have always come up empty! All I gotta say is "Where are they & who's got 'em?!"
Please send me a P.M. if ya don't wanna post specific addresses... :D

T

Love those old tikis, Looks like thier holding up well:
Diggin on the beard Lookin distinguished.

B

Thanks Seeks, Yes it Was Awesome seeing these again. They were all tiki's I had carved for the Tropicana Hotel in Vegas which they kept for about 5 years. When they changed their "Look" over to a Victorian image they got rid of all the tikis. I knew where the Lono was and the present owner of that one knew where the Maori was and he was unaware they had the other pieces. I carved them At the Trop in 1989, 90 and 91.

Tiki Lee's, I asked about you while I was there but got nowhere. I Apologize for not being current on TC recently, but the trip was kind of a quick decision. We were there for only 4 days and I would have Loved to see you. We just got back home Saturday at midnight. There Will be some of the longhouse poles for sale so stay in touch.

Thanks Tikigodz, appreciate the props and the beard is because I Hated paying for razor blades that only gave you 2 good shaves. I remember when you could shave for a few weeks on one blade!

Some have wondered what I've been up to for awhile and I haven't been carving much, but have several pieces in the works for awhile. here are some.

This last one si one of the poles from the Longhouse. They were Douglas Pine and aren't in aas good a shape as the redwood.

N

Great carving and what an amazing array of tools - wow!

N

Great carving and what an amazing array of tools - wow!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 29, 2010 7:57 AM

Good to see your work-space again, Ben - albeit by digi-pic!

The couple new projects freshly shown are mini-masterpieces in the works. I know each lucky recipient will treasure their Benzart with a reverence usually reserved for family heirlooms (they ARE family heirlooms!)

Love the Maori statue guy (for scale the pencils in the background help.)

Love the discard...I mean the "I'll get back to these maybe" pile too. Gems in the rough but gems nonetheless.

The necklace project looks the same as when I saw it but I notice what looks to be a sharks tooth added as a dangle at the bottom?

I for one will anticipate each new post as you feel the need to post. Mahalo! G

It looks like you have ALWAYS done such nice work. That is some workshop. I like how you store the spring clamps (pretty clever).

PS Can I borrow a chisel?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 30, 2010 7:41 AM

Thanx for working on my Maori guy benn0. He looks neato. Have enough burrs n stones?

P

hey benz, you get my pm?

B

Thanks Nomolos, Appreciate that.

Tiki G, Thank You for all the props and kind words, I'm Glad you got to see a lot of this stuff first hand, Yeah I figured the shark tooth would fit pretty good.

Thanks Grand Poobah, not always I'm still learning. In my shop you gotta put stuff where ever you can find an empty nail or spot. Sure, C'mon over and get it, Which one you want to borrow?

Thanks GMAN, No worries, and Actually no, NO I Don't have enough burs Or stones. Know where I can find more? :) :D

Hey pjc5150, No,not yet???

P

Oh, wow.

I sent it weeks ago, or so I thought.

I'll resend.

C

Go carve, go carve, can't wait to see the one that says rhys and the full figure done!

B

Thanks Clarita, Hope you don't mind waiting a little bit?

Hey Benzart, The stuff is awesome! Do you have any finished skull pieces? I would love to see them.Thanks for all your shared pictures.

B

man i love everything!!and the tools!! more tools more tools!!!!!

thanks for the advice about the big guy,but i drank all the beer
and no one showed up

Benz...you...have...too..many...burrs. Send some to me.

C

On 2010-08-01 13:45, Benzart wrote:
Thanks Clarita, Hope you don't mind waiting a little bit?

mmmm ok I'll try :)

Man that is a whole lot of tools :o I am envious! I agree with surfntiki. Can't wait for the tusk & megladon tooth arrangement to be finished. What's the piece between them, fossiised wood or vertabrae?

B

Thanks Canyonlake,, No finished skulls yet, will post when done,, Thanks..

Buzzard, Thanks, Gotta have the tools, No one showed up, and fro free beer?

WOW.

Surfin, thanks,, C'mon down and get some,, you know where I am??

Clarita, guess I'll have to step it up a knotch ot too.

Thanks coconutzo,, that strange looking piece is a slab cut from a Macadamia Nut tree given me by Aloha Tiki in Ft Lauderdale and it id burnished and polished on a hard buff..

Oh... okay, now I see it. It looked so old with the coloration on it I just assumed you brought out one of the jewels out of your treasure chest. Mac nut huh, never would have guessed. They're usually light colored, like off-white. Sweet!

B

Heres a bit of a Hey-Tiki for Helz out of Turkish Purple jade. The eye didn't finish out right but I left it in so you can tell what it will kinda be like.

L
laojia posted on Sun, Aug 8, 2010 9:07 PM

Awesome Hei tiki Sensei carver! Can't wait the second eye...

J.

B

Good morning Ben...

I love stopping in here. Thanks for sharing the goodies. :)

B

Thanks again Jerome abd Babbsie too,, Here 'ya go.

Looks good to me Ben. I like alien frogs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies