Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

E2

In efait I miss quellque tool!!! Oops

That is some detail! It has nostrils and teeth!!!! The teeth cant be much bigger than a pencil point!

Sweet Ben! Never heard of purple jade before. Does have a bit of an alien look with the color, eyes, and fingertips :D Maybe there was some ET contact in New Zealand?

On 2010-08-17 12:55, MadDogMike wrote:
Sweet Ben! Never heard of purple jade before. Does have a bit of an alien look with the color, eyes, and fingertips :D Maybe there was some ET contact in New Zealand?

The alien vibe is quite apt actually; the Maoris believed, quite literally, that the (hei)Tiki was a depiction of the original Ancestor, who arrived on earth from the stars bringing with him the three baskets of knowledge upon which their culture is based. Where else would a 'little green man' with 3 fingers and large eyes come from? :wink:

Those fingers are superb Ben (ditto teeth/butt/material/everything else), are they 'undercut' slightly? Stone loves you! :wink:

T

Benzart channels wisdom of the cosmos - resulting in these little guys as truth manifest.

Beauty AND truth you may wear and/or carry in your pocket. Dare I say this is a alien/tiki talisman of the 21st century? :wink:

ROCK-ON! BEN!!

N

What cool eyes you have

B

Top of museum's shelf !

B

Thanks JT, Yes I Love froggs, Especially the Alien kind.

Eric,, Thanks I guess?? :)

Thanks Grand Poobah, yeah, the teeth are small!

Maddog Mike, Thanks, Purple Jade from Turkey, Y'a know that desert there does funny things to stuff.. :P

Tama,, Thanks,, I didn't know that about the ancient beliefs though it makes perfect sense, and Thanks for the kind words,, yes there is undercutting everywhere there and Sometimes the stone Hates me. :D :o

Thanks TikiG,, HA,, "Rock ON" you say,,I don't know if I channel the cosmos ro more likely It channels Me? Thanks for your kind words.

Heres the latest though not Tiki, thought you might like her.

nomolos, The Better to see you with,, Thanks.

Benella, Thanks,, Yep, way up there where it can't be seen to scare the little kiddies..

FACEBOOK

[ Edited by: Benzart 2010-08-21 10:23 ]

Hey, that's plenty "tiki" for me :)
Beautiful carving and colors.
I guess you didn't go to Tiki Oasis either, right?

Wow Ben that little guy is fantastic! Super Tiny.

B

Hey, Thanks Conga, glad you approve.
Marcus thank you too. Nice seeing you around more too!

T

Hey benz, don't think I've seen you do a torso quite like that one. That is COOL. And that's jade? Incredible colors.

Benz, A beautiful piece......

Amy

T

Hey BENZ!!!!...that's real cool!...but I think it's time you got yourself a "hand model"!

T

The body is amazing, and I love the stone "grain", how cool is the orange splash on the shoulder!!! Great design Ben!!!

I'm trying to sell a basically brand new arbortech power chisel pch400. I bought this a couple of years ago and I am unable to use my tools anymore, I paid over $200 for it and would like to get at least $160 for it I can send pictures if anyone is interested. I figured this would be a good place to find a home for it. the tool litereally is unused except for testing it out!!!
Please email if you would like to see pictures!!
Thanks
CG
[email protected]

Now that's what I call a beautiful birthmark! :lol: She's a beauty Benzzo!

B

hats off sir,you continue to amaze!

B

TheBigT, Thanks and no you haven't seen me do one of these yet, she's my first..

Amy,, Thanks, :)

Vic, thanks,, Hand model?? :P

Thanks Tahitiki, Appreciate that,, she's a time worn standard that many sculptors have done, so I can't take credit for the design.

Chrisgreenup, thats an excellent tool, I have one and it is Powerfull tool, good luck. what other tools do you have?

Thanks coconutzo..

Buzzard, thanks, gotta keep you guys on your toes'ya know..

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 9:48 AM

Gorgeous piece. GROG like. Nice boobies.

C

that Turkish Purple jade hei tiki looks great wonderful color, also the stone of the female figure, great finds.

B

Benzart Thanks Grog for the high compliments, glad the boobies qualify Grog, Thanks.

Clarita, Happy to see you and Glad you like the Purple Hei-Tiki, he would love that!
Thanks for stopping by again.

Heres a new piece, 10 inches tall, Redwood a Moai started a few days ago. Took a small nip from a finger so he likes the taste already.

F

That wood looks beautiful Ben. No one does Moais like you. :)

L

WOW! BenZ!! Thank you for the illustrated master class. :o
I took note: sand bag, round stone for sharpening hook knives, soft pads sanders...

A really talented beautiful work...

Thank's again Sensei carver! :)

J.

M

Amazing

thanks for all those progress shots.....i was showing my daughter how to hold the dremel this weekend and how not to hurt yourself...WHAM!!! cut my thumb open.....thats how not to do it i told her. she was impressed i hurt myself on purpose to show her.....yeah thats my storey...i did it on purpose ...yeah.

great work as usual benz....

I started on a piece of Redwood recently. Been using chisels so far and everything is working nicely. The wood seems a bit chippy (like pine) - is this normal? Also I have heard that Redwood is toxic if you breath it while sanding - is that true?

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 1:36 PM

Man, those hook knives scare the sh!+ outta me! No way am I ever gonna go near one of those. Lucky you had the super glue handy....
Digging the elegant curved lines on this one Ben - very stately. Beautiful grain in that wood too!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 1:44 PM

Hello Ben!

Impressive carve on the latest tiki dude, my goodness, drawing blood and all that...but while looking over the pics I noticed something - and this (for me) is WAY MORE IMPRESSIVE than your latest blood hungry member of the famous Benzart family;

My business card is seen prominently on your workbench!!?!! Surreal? HELLO!!

Of all the places my card could end-up - this has got to be one of the best. Now that's something for ME to celebrate.

Thanks for the latest post an' pics. Carve-on master Ben :) G

So many pictures, it almost looks like a video!
Love watchin' you make that magic benz.
The Redwood looks a little like the Palo Escrito.

T

He created man and on the 7th he rested .
Bad ass big ben you going to stain it?

S

Looks like a Masterpiece in the works. Wood looks like a mix of cedar and pine. Redwood A.

C

Great stuff again ole' master, your Moais are the simply the best.

Have I told you lately that you're flippin amazing!
there.
:)
All the best, Benz~!
-Andy

M

Always excellent- to see a master at work! Great stuff sir! Can't wait to see the final product.

A
amate posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 9:08 AM

you always pack so much personality into these. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

C

looking great so far, love that grain! but tell the truth, you always put some blood on your tikis to make them more alive and special, is that it? I think it works great actually :)

B

Thanks Finky, Appreciate the kind words.

Laojia, Thanks, I Knew Nothing would be missed by you and I'm Happy to share my space with you. Glad you like this latest Moai.

Mudbone,, Thanks a bunch,

C-Chimp, Thanks, glad you liked the progress, and Way to give a lesson on tiki bites, though you should let them happen n their own.. :) ;p

Thanks Aloha, Hope you are enjoying your Redwood. Yes it is Supposed to be chippy I guess so we don't carve it all up. It is a mamber of the Cypress family I believe and the dust should not be breathed as any wood but I don't believe it's toxic like exotic hard woods.

Paipo, Thanks for the props on this one and you Should be afraid of the hook blade But you should not stay away from it as for as frightening as it is it can be also very useful.

Hey Tiki-G,,Strange hey, I had forgot about your card being there, cool. Glad you like this blood thirsty little guy

Hey Surfin, Thanks for the Great props, glad this is a nice one to'ya.

Thanks tikigodz, No stain, maybe a bit of flame on the hat but straight lacquer finish from there.

Thanks Seeks, you are TOO kind, Yes and it Carves like the same cross between cedar and pine!!

Conga, Thanks, I value your judgement,but I consider you a bit biased ??? Thanks for the comps.

Andy,,, Thanks for coming around and with such kind words,, I Appreciate very much. HappyHappy

Thanks mijaba, the props are enjoyed! done soon.

Amate, thanks too, final shots soon

Thanks Clarita, My Argentenian Sun Flower! Shhh You let me secret out to So many peeps,, naww, just a hungry Moai..You KNOW i can't tell everyone All my secrets but I might tell you one or two?? :o

Here's a few progress shots but for some reason he HATES the camera in this stage.

J

It looks like he likes the camera. Always creative.

He does'nt like the camera because he only has one eye to smile with! :lol: The decent thing to do is put an eye patch over it so he could look cool, ARRGGHHH! Great job Tikimaster!

Like all of Ben's works, this guy is just about to come alive and pop out of the screen. I wish I could get that much personality out of a carving. Amazing!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 20, 2010 11:46 AM

Awesome grain on that wood Master Ben.

M

It never ceases to amaze me at the goods this man puts out. Awesome Ben!

Hi Ben, so sorry too long away from you. Terrific carvings. I still plan to work on those special tikis you sent. Right now I'm working non-stop on the Sacramento Crawl mug. The first test mugs came out today and they were all perfect. Now I have 47 more to do. I'll try to stay in touch, Wendy

L

On 2010-09-18 18:56, Benzart wrote:

So Coool... the grain of this wood seem it wear a natural moko!

GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!

B

Thanks all you tikinutz, I appreciate the comments. Heres an update on this Moai, he's done but his base is still in the works.

Also you might remember this one??

Here is his New life....

A
amate posted on Thu, Sep 30, 2010 8:35 AM

Nice salvage job on the little (and I do mean little) stone piece. As for the wood moai, I can't find it now but I believe you said you were going to lacquer it. Is that the way you went? I'm still trying to learn all the different finishes.

B

Thanks Amate, Yes he has about 6 coats of Lacquer, each one sanded but the last one, No stain, just the Lacquer.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies