Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Warehouse, Newport Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 32 replies

Name:The Warehouse
Type:restaurant
Street:3450 Via Oporto
City:Newport Beach
State:CA
Zip:92663
Phone:

Description:
Beachbum Burt Hixson’s second Warehouse. It opened in 1974 with a dedication from John Wayne.

Wasn't that a meat market?
I'm just sayin!

I remember this location with the bar and dance floor upstairs and dinning rooms downstairs. Lots of “Trader Style” crates and netting, possibly more than the Marina Del Rey location plus some cool lamps.

I used to go to this Warehouse location and drink beer. That’s right beer, I would have loved to have been Mr. 25 year old Rum Barrel Guy but if you think I’m annoying now imagine me as Mr. 25 year old Rum Barrel Guy! Yikes! :o

It looks like it didn’t make it into the new millennium. I asked a friend who also used to go there and he said it closed because they lost their dance permit? It sounds weird but until we hear otherwise that’s what I’ve got.

Before and after, all of the building’s corrugated metal charm is gone.

!!Warehouse Fun Fact!! There was also a short-lived location in West Covina.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-04-01 01:13 ]

Was it next to the Red Onion?

On 2009-04-01 00:38, Unga Bunga wrote:
Wasn't that a meat market?
I'm just sayin!

Yes Unga, all the bars in Newport Beach in the 70's and 80's were meat markets.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-04-01 01:09 ]

BB

On 2009-04-01 00:55, Unga Bunga wrote:

No Unga, it was in Lido Village not on the peninsula.

C
Chub posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 1:02 AM

Here's another variation of the barrel mug. Only glossy on the inside.

BB

The Warehouse mugs are weird, I have 6 of them and they're all different. Same sizes but none of the glazes are the same.

On 2009-04-01 00:50, Bora Boris wrote:

What a headline.

"Attorney Drunk in Court" precedes the opening of the Warehouse.

Coincidence????

DC

T

I used to go to this Warehouse location and drink beer. That’s right beer, I would have loved to have been Mr. 25 year old Rum Barrel Guy but if you think I’m annoying now imagine me as Mr. 25 year old Rum Barrel Guy! Yikes! :o

Jinkies! That would be annoying.

It's such a shame how rare these nautical themed places have become. Ah, the humanity.

Nooooooo! Say it ain't so!

Before and after, all of the building’s corrugated metal charm is gone.

What about the huge lagoon, and the pier that led to the place? And the giant old growth bambooooooooooo.... boohooo! :cry:

BB

It's okay Sven, this was the Newport Beach location, The Marina Del Rey one is fine. :)

H

On 2009-04-01 07:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nooooooo! Say it ain't so!

What about the huge lagoon, and the pier that led to the place? And the giant old growth bambooooooooooo.... boohooo! :cry:

Don't fret, Sven! I think maybe you're confusing the Marina del Rey location (which I think is still in fine shape, yes?) with this location, which was in Newport Beach.

Phew, thanks guys, that woke me up. I just checked their website, and all seems well:

http://www.mdrwarehouse.com/contactusdirections.html

And in the spirit of supporting your local Polynesian pop establishment, SO IT WILL LAST, here are some nice pics to entice TCers to visit it:

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 8:16 AM

I've driven by this cool looking one many times when out in the area & have always been curious about it.
& of course I've seen the mugs when out thrifting.

Maybe it's time to finally check it out...... :wink:

JB

On 2009-04-01 05:11, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Jinkies! That would be annoying.

It's such a shame how rare these nautical themed places have become. Ah, the humanity.

Oh yeah, chicks dig that romantic nautical sh*t!

O

They sure do! The Warehouse in Marina Del Rey is a cool place for happy hour. Scampi and steamed clams are my ritual dinner along with their version of a Mai Tai which isn't bad. The Rum Barrel is better but not 1/2 price during happy hours. The rowing team from Loyola launch next to the restaurant too. Girls that row and are into nautical! :) When you leave look across the street at the Azzura condos.
Chelsea Handler just bought the penthouse. maybe I'll spot her at the Warehouse some day.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-04-20 18:41 ]

On 2009-04-01 00:55, Unga Bunga wrote:

You may be thinking of Beachbum Burt's in Redondo Beach, on N. Harbor Drive? There was a Red Onion there as well.
(Now it's a Cheesecake Factory - how sad - and the old Red Onion is vacant for the umpteenth time.)

Terra
[email protected]

GT

Very Cool place, I grew up right down the street in Newport, Went to my share of happy hours for sure! I'm happy it's not going to the wrecking ball.

I drove by the location where the Newport Warehouse was on fri.
I Have a pool I clean out on the near by Island.

I noticed that it was empty.
that would have been a great location for a TV's
but I guess downtown LA is more profitable?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T
twitch posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 5:36 AM

Anybody see De Wayne there?

O

No, haven't seen him but did meet Ida who is in every picture on the wall the other day. Cool lady. Tiki Bar TV is having their 4th birthday party there this coming Saturday. April 25th 8pm-Midnight.

SO glad I discovered the classic 60's nautical charm and beauty of the Marina Warehouse!

There are a bunch of kool pics (including some of my own) on the Tiki Bar TV 4th Birthday thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32071&forum=17&27

Cheers and Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

[ Edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-05-10 19:01 ]

I know I am chiming in kinda late and after the fact, but really want to thank Boris
for posting about the Newport Wherehouse location.I live like two minutes from Lido
Isle and have fond memories of this place mostly from the 80's .I walk by it all the
time when I am on Lido Isle-thinking what a waste of real estate this is right on the
water and just sitting empty for years.I met both John Wayne and his son Ethan Wayne
there while out with my parents for dinner on one occasion.Another time I was there
I met Mimi Van Doren there with some of her girl friends, and she still looked great.
Per my past conversations with both Boris and Paul Clemens I believe they both grew
up in the area.It's hard to believe and so sad this place has been closed for so long.
It would be nice if some one with half a brain and some financial backing could turn
this into a polynesian paradise.There was a restaurant that was called Canos on PCH
that has been closed for years, that would also make a great tiki restaurant location
right on the bay.Did you know there was a Christians Hut in Newport Beach back in
the day as well as a Don the Beachcomber in Corona Del Mar, and an Outrigger restaurant
in the Surf and Sand hotel in Laguna Beach ?

I never made it to the Outrigger but when I was a kid my family would go the Corona Del Mar Don the Beachcomber's a few times a year.
I liked it.

Cano's is closed? It's weird having seen that sign my entire life you never think about things closing. It seems like there are a lot of pricey vacancies in that area.

Look at the great pics DC posted under Tiki Kates thread -Locating Tiki-Outrigger .
Some wonderful shots of the exterior and interior of the Outrigger in Laguna Beach
at the Surf and Sand hotel.

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Jun 13, 2009 7:39 AM

I loved Canos "Seafood of Mexico" Back in the Mid 80's I used to have a small boat,(22' Chris Craft Cavalier) a "bay cruiser" as we used to call 'em when I lived on Harbor Island and we used to go bar hopping with it to all of the places in Zooport that had docks. This was before you could get a DUI on the water. Canos was one of our first stops to have dinner and they had the best Mango margaritas.

I drove by there with Lake Surfer during the Bamboo Ben Nooner and saw that it was closed and wondered why another resturant/bar had not occupied the space as yet. It is a really cool building

Does anyone remember a band that played in the Newport Beach Warehouse in '76/'77 called Rosewood and particularly the name of the electric violinist? I lived in Corona Del Mar at the time and the Warehouse was a regular haunt for my wife and me.

Just picked up a nice 1970's era menu from the Warehouse.

DC

Here are a few more scans from the menu. When unfolded it shows the front of the restaurant.

The inside of the menu has a nice story on Burt.

The food and drink list side.

Do they still serve the Warf Wrat?

DC

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 25, 2009 4:45 PM

Hiphipahula have you ever been to this place?

The one in Newport Beach had really good food except for a short period just before they closed. Great view of the Harbor too.

CJ

Found a larger pic of the postcard Boris posted on page one
Newport location, I myself went there many times back in the 70s.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-07 04:10 ]

Pages: 1 32 replies