Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Pago Pago - all locations under one roof

Pages: 1 2 3 98 replies

I tried to win this Pago Pago menu on ebay recently but only got the images.

What A funny looking combination of characters!

The caricature on the inside of the menu looks like the figure used in the Copacabana postcards.

DC

Here's another napkin from the Pago Pago in Portland:

Compare to the narrower napkin in Mimi's collection:

I wonder if the half-napkin size was part of the war-time effort to conserve paper. So that even the cocktail-drinker felt they were doing their part.

Here's my only evidence:

I've got several of these half-napkins in my collection and they all seem to be made out of ultra-thin, inferior paper that wouldn't stop a ring-mark on a bar if they tried.

I've been wanting to see the movie "South of Pago Pago" one of the actors is Abner Biberman, who was in quite a few films from that era. I can only find the movie on VHS on amazon for about $40.00! Any one have it to rent?

Here is a picture of Abner;

Here is my first and maybe only contribution to Tiki Central. I was looking through my dad's old matchbook collection and found one from Pago Pago Portland.

Came across this ad recently. From 1953

Nature Boy,

That's cool to get a piece of historical Tiki from your dad!

Cheeky half,

That add reminded me of a postcard I have from the Pago Pago when Phil owned it. Must have been after the Homer and Bob era.

DC

Cool finds! I like that last caption:
Why get specific and waste space by listing them all: "It's clientele of famous people from all over the world!" 'nuff said! :D

I spotted a different twist on the Pago Pago matchbook from Tucson recently on ebay.

It is similar to the original one posted by Bigbro to start this post:

Except that the monkey is replaced by our new proprietor Phil!

DC

T

A blurb in today's Chicagoist about the imminent destruction of Chicago's beloved Pago Pago billboard...

http://chicagoist.com/2010/04/26/pago_pago_no_more.php

What the pics on this blog don't show are the cranes and scaffolding that have been erected all around the building for the past few weeks.

Those wanting to get their last glimpse of this legendary bit of Chicago tiki need to do so very, very, very soon.

From the 1961 movie "Five Minutes to Live" with Johnny Cash and little Ron Howard

Quick shot of exterior. The interior looks like any diner from that time.....nothing Polynesian.

T

The Pago Pago sign in Chicago is gone.

The building it was on no longer exists.
(a bit of the facade was saved, propped up with scaffolds, and the rest of the building has been erased).

Bummer

DC

Bummer :(

I always liked seeing that sign while traveling on the El.

Thanks for the update James!

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-11-04 07:13 ]

I'm sure some of you old-timers might remember this from Eddie Brandhorst's Pago Pago in Long Beach. I've had it for over 30 years. It is in as-found condition, and for those not familiar with it, it is a very old ship's rudder.

Holepuncher - that piece is AWESOME! I'm old enough and live close enough, but sadly I didn't find out about the Long Beach Pago Pago until it was gone. Was there a painted mural inside?

Sabu

Hey Sabu, I can't tell you anything about the Pago Pago restaurant because it was long closed by the time I discovered this old rudder in the late 70's. I've looked at satellite images of the area and while the big parking lot on the west side is still there, the original building has been razed and a new one went up in it's place.

Sabu posted this postcard from the "Pago" restaurant located next to the entrance of the International Settlement in San Francisco.

I was doing some research and came across this photo that shows the restaurant changed named to the "Pago Pago", so it does belong in this post.

I also found a photo that shows the metal support columns for the International Settlement sign are still there at there. Not as cool as the Tiki Bob post but still a cool piece of history.

DC

Great catch! Funny, the columns look so "modern".

Here is an old matchbook with a photo of the exterior of the Pago Pago in Hawaii from ebay.

DC

I had posted this menu from the Pago Pago in Marysville some time ago.

Tradr Bill posted the same design from the Leilani Lounge that was located in Oakland.

I started looking for more info on the Pago Pago in Marysville and found this great photo, what an amazing mural.

Also some info on the bartender and the cooks.

Now this is interesting, the native drummer on the back of the menu

looks to be the inspiration for the Zombie Hut logo from Sacramento.

A double dose of TTT!

DC

Aaaah, one of my favorite threads, full of vintage visuals, always great to see it revived with even more. A great mural indeed!

Here are a couple of international entries for the Pago Pago club.

A card from the Bar Pago Pago located in Girona Spain I got in a trade with my friend Zeta, Ambassador of Tiki in Mexico.

Postcard from the Hotel Intercontinental Pago Pago.

A few close ups

Great looking outdoor bar scene.

And a matchbook from a location in San Rafael, an oldie for sure.

Got this in a trade with PTD who also has these versions.

DC

On 2009-05-08 21:38, MadDogMike wrote:
Is this the kind of Pago Pago you were looking for? Rev BooBen has the matching "man-skirt" but I don't know if it was made in Pago Pago Samoa or not :wink:

So I had a PagoPago Samoan shirt and Ben had the matching "manskirt". Like twins seperated at birth, I figured those 2 should be reunited - and since I thought of it first, I sent mine to Ben for his birthday. Now he is stuck with both! :lol:

Here is Ben high above* Hanalei Kauai looking damned handsome in his ensemble.

*by "high above" I mean that he is 1200 feet up the mountain from Hanalei, not that he was sampling the local pakalolo (as far as you know)

Wow, did he get the matching mug you made, too?

On 2011-06-29 20:30, Dustycajun wrote:

Also known as the Rainmaker Hotel, this place has always fascinated me. It was built during the peak period of South Seas tourism, in 1964, by Pete Wimberly's architectural firm, and outfitted by Oceanic Arts. It was designed not like the peaked A-frames Wimberly did for the Waikikian and Canlis in Honululu, but in the style of the traditional Samoan "fale" house:

There is a great, detailed Wikipedia page on the architecture of the fale, down to the mythology of its unique rounded shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Samoa

Since its heyday the Hotel has become delapidated....

http://www.american.samoa-hotels.com/rainmaker-hotel/Index.html

"Rainmaker Hotel is one of the most unusual hotels in the South Pacific. Built in the 1960's alongside a picturesque beach on the outskirts of Pago Pago, this hotel is now owned by the government. However, this figurehead of tourism is in a complete state of delapidation with unrepaired doors hanging off their hinges, broken roof slates lying around and a pool green with algae. Many of the rooms are dysfunctional with broken doors and stripped of furnishings and paint but there are still pleasant enough rooms and bungalows overlooking the beach. The hotel is frequented by Government Officials on often dubious business. If you are one for novel experiences, then stay here for a few nights - you'll likely meet some interesting characters and will no doubt have a few stories to tell back home."

I always thought it would be kind of like renting a room in the ruins of the Coco Palms. Part of the property has been fixed up since and is operated as Sadie's by the Sea:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-07-04 23:15 ]

On 2011-07-04 16:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, did he get the matching mug you made, too?

On 2011-06-29 20:30, Dustycajun wrote:

Also known as the Rainmaker Hotel, this place has always fascinated me. It was built during the peak period of South Seas tourism, in 1964, by Pete Wimberly's architectural firm, and outfitted by Oceanic Arts. It was designed not like the peaked A-frames Wimberly did for the Waikiian and Canlis in Honululu, but in the style of the traditional Samoan "fale" house:

There is a great, detailed Wikipedia page on the architecture of the fale, down to the mythology of its unique rounded shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Samoa

Since its heyday the Hotel has become delapidated....

http://www.american.samoa-hotels.com/rainmaker-hotel/Index.html

"Rainmaker Hotel is one of the most unusual hotels in the South Pacific. Built in the 1960's alongside a picturesque beach on the outskirts of Pago Pago, this hotel is now owned by the government. However, this figurehead of tourism is in a complete state of Wikipedia with delapidated doors hanging off their hinges, broken roof slates lying around and a pool green with algae. Many of the rooms are dysfunctional with broken doors and stripped of furnishings and paint but there are still pleasant enough rooms and bungalows overlooking the beach. The hotel is frequented by Government Officials on often dubious business. If you are one for novel experiences, then stay here for a few nights - you'll likely meet some interesting characters and will no doubt have a few stories to tell back home."

I always thought it would be kind of like renting a room in the ruins of the Coco Palms. Part of the property has been fixed up since and is operated as Sadie's by the Sea:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-07-04 16:08 ]

I just had dinner at Sadie's By the Sea in May...

Rainmaker Mountain from balcony at Sadie's

Rainmaker Mt. again with the restaurant's fale in foreground

Entrance to Pago Pago Harbor from Sadie's

Moon rise over Pago Pago Harbor from Sadie's

More Moon...

[ Edited by: Aquatic Safarinaut 2011-07-04 19:46 ]

[ Edited by: Aquatic Safarinaut 2011-07-04 19:47 ]

[ Edited by: Aquatic Safarinaut 2011-07-04 19:49 ]

"...in a complete state of Wikipedia ..." :lol: I don't get that one.

No Sven, Ben didn't get the mug - it was too ugly to release in public :)

Mike, that mug-matching-the-shirt was genius, ugly or not! And I fixed that typo, I had used spell check and it switched all the words in the text around, it was nuts!

So, Safarinaut, how was Sadie's, and how much of the Hotel compound is still in ruins? Did you do any resort archeology?

lol!!!

( that trail was crazy steep!)

Sven, we were only there for three days and I was working most of the time. The dinner at Sadie's was on the first night and I didn't get there until just before dark. Food was just ok but the Captain was buying so it was great! But I didn't get a chance to do any tikiology...

The second night I ate the best and largest plate of poke I have EVER had at The Sadie Thomson Hotel, not related to Sadie's by the Sea, wow it was good! Then even later that night I had the biggest MOUND of the best ahi sashimi I have EVER had! It just so happens that StarKist has a cannery on Pago Pago...Yes, they are over fishing, but If I hadn't eaten it it would have ended up in your can...

Third day I had a little more time off but used it to explore the island. Beautiful island but not a lot to do there. Did watch some traditional tap tap tattooing, almost made me want to get another one...

The Training Ship Golden Bear

For all you TC'ers out there thinking of seeing Samoa...I would recommend Western Samoa over American Samoa...More of the traditional culture has survived and there is more to do.

Signing out from 18 deg. north/160 deg. west...

Didn't know the Pago Pago brand was so wide spread. I actually know the former owner of the Pago pago Club in Hawaii.

Here's latest iteration of all things tiki in the REAL Pago Pago. Go to nite life to see a cool video of a tiki club.

http://amsamoa-busycorner.blogspot.com/

From pago Pago, American Samoa

John Wasko

Here's a cdool video from Pago pago's most famous tiki barefoot bar, Tisa's.

That's Tisa featured in the video on a cruise ship day.

http://youtu.be/sAaEXkH-8UU

From Pago Pago, American Samoa

John Wasko

T

On 2009-05-18 15:56, Dustycajun wrote:
Matchbook listing the three Pago Pago locations in Illinois.

This variant, showing a different location not on Dustycajun's version, was sent to me by one of my contacts (thanks, Gina!).

Yavohl! On Mannheim Road in Schiller Park !? Maybe we finally found that rare animal, the GERMAN Beerhall/Tiki Bar crossover?

Picked up a few nice items lately....this one is a 3.5x5 original photo for unknown location Pago Pago. I believe it came from California, note the 76 Gas Station next door. If anyone has any info it would be fabulous. I googled many 76 stations near the locations listed but nothing comes up a perfect match. I wish the photo was a little bit sharper. Mahalo, OGR

Great find OGR.

Here is a photo holder from the Pago Pago in Portland I tried for on ebay,

The photo of the happy imbibers.

DC

OGR

Very nice DC...you have scored some very cool folders lately. I don't know if you saw my theory on the Pago Pago picture I wrote about on the South Seas Lincolnwood, IL-Locating Tiki thread..http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39849&forum=2&vpost=643593
I would like to think it's correct, but as you know...theory. OGR

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2012-08-28 06:22 ]

Here's an ebay news-wire photo from the Pago Pago Club in New York City, dated Jan 1941.

I picked up this place-mat from the Pago Pago in Portland Oregon from Puamana.

Also spotted this swizzle from the Pago Pago in Burbank.

A menu from Phil's Pago Pago.

And a swizzle from Eddie's Pago Pago.

DC

OGR

Great stuff DC. Thanks for keeping the Pago Pago parade going...and to ALL your Locating Tiki contributions. OGR

I picked up two cool souvenir photo holders from the Pago Pago at the International Settlement in San Francisco, dated April, 1945.

The first one shows three sailors on leave, enjoying some cold ones and a shot.

But what's this? The second one has a young lady involved, hmmm. Date night?

(The guy on the left looks MUCH happier!)

Back of the folder with the date.

You get a few good peeks at the interior in these photos.

DC

A very nice matchbox from the Pago Pago in Tuscon spotted on ebay.

Also saw this matchbook from the Club Pago Pago located in Colton, CA.

Turns out the Colton Pago Pago had a sister restaurant located in Honolulu, Hawaii as shown on this menu from Arkiva Tropika.

Makes you wonder about the Colton - Honolulu connection.

DC

From the 1947 movie "The Unsuspected". The picture caption said Long Beach, CA.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2015-10-29 11:01 ]

On 2011-02-03 11:55, Dustycajun wrote:
Sabu posted this postcard from the "Pago" restaurant located next to the entrance of the International Settlement in San Francisco.

I was doing some research and came across this photo that shows the restaurant changed named to the "Pago Pago", so it does belong in this post.

I also found a photo that shows the metal support columns for the International Settlement sign are still there at there. Not as cool as the Tiki Bob post but still a cool piece of history.

DC

The International Settlement Pago Pago was a going concern until 1954. Haven't been able to suss out the opening for the life of me...

Inter-continental pago pago resort menu/fan

Nice

C

Real-photo postcard by Zan Stark of the San Francisco location on Pacific Street (late 1940s?). Note that this photo seems to be the basis for the hand-tinted version posted previously.

There's also a night shot that Zan Stark took from the same corner.

I've wanted to check out his archives for years now so I could see his entire sequence of International Settlement photos.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2018 10:18 AM

The pillars that held up the International sign are still there but the Pago Pago building is gone
This is what it looks like today

Pago Pago side mural is interesting as it says: "House of Zombie"
Of course Zombies, not the drink, are associated with Caribbean religion and New Orleans Voodoo, not the South Seas
The actual city of Pago Pago in American Samoa has a historical link to cannibalism, but not Zombies?
Whereas the Sacramento bar Zombie Hut uses a cannibal image as there logo icon. Why the interchangeable iconography?

Also interesting is the 7UP logo on the side mural, showing that the Pago Pago is similar to any blue collar bar or liquor store that would willingly sell its wall space to any product willing to pay for it?

[ Edited by: Otto 2018-12-22 21:00 ]

The matchbook posted by Puamana from the Long Beach Pago Pago some years ago listed a second location in Palm Springs.

I found these matchbook images in my files from the Palm Springs establishment. Nice building and mural inside.

DC

Pages: 1 2 3 98 replies