Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies

Lets not get too crazy. If you are willing to include more in your swap that's great, but it is not expected (at least not by me). Really cool stuff being presented!! The end of June is perfect - some of us just got motivated early. I'm sure there are some people that are sweating the deadline. 5 weeks and counting!!

M
mp posted on Thu, May 21, 2009 11:27 AM

Beautiful Eric! Everyone's stuff is great.

T

Hey Mikel! Glad you like! I couldn't decide which to make, so I did 'em both!

Any updates on your mug? The first progress pic you posted looks fantastic! (and I'm honored that a piece of my work helped inspire you!)

Finally starting to get some progress on the painting that isn't New Zealand~esque... though I have to say there is already some amazing finished pieces in the swap!

Still not PNG enough! Have started again!! 3rd time is a charm!!
(Man, this swap is making me work!)

I might put the N.Z. painting in as well, make it a 2fer...
~Zero

P.s.---Sam, where's your piece? Please oh please oh please

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-05-28 22:28 ]

V

Man oh man - I've been stressing about this swap! I suppose you could say that the swap is an educational experience, as I knew next to nothing a month ago about PNG. Totally unfamiliar with the style and nature of the artwork, I set about a serious course of study at Google University. I LOVE the masks, carving, and color - so I wanted to definitely make a mask to hang on a wall... but I also wanted to make a mug. Dilemma! I ended up combining the two and put together a mask/mug that you can hang on a wall peg when you are not drinking from it. They are not that big - so they wont hold too much fluid, but if you fill them with the straight stuff I am sure they will do the trick. I did two - one for the swap, and one for me to keep-and-or-sell. Hopefully if something goes wrong at least one will survive and I can stay in the swap!

Ok - enough blabbing (can you sense my PNG insecurity :) ?) here are the (very bad cell phone) photos. I'll take better ones later:

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Looking very PNG and yet still distinctly HVR (Henrik Van Ryzin) Innovative compromise between wall hanging and mug :)

more great creations! wow

V

Better pictures as promised!
The forehead hole on the right is for a straw.

Mahalo,
Henrik

Ok, all this great work being shown has me inspired. I wasn't going to participate, but seeing as I have most of June to get something done, I'm in! I just started carving bone, but I am hoping I can pull-off something that resembles PNG or Sepik mask as a pendant. I don't mean to tease, but all I have right now is a sketch to show. I am not sure which mask to do, but I think I am leaning towards the bottom one. Any preferences?

Added 05/30/09-

I finished up my pendant for the Art Swap. I decided to "antique" this by leaving bits of it rough and staining in coffee.

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2009-05-30 12:20 ]

Van and Mango!
You fellahs are upping the bar!
right on!

L

Too the bottom one!

J.

P

ok, I've been lurking long enough. you all have intrigued me to loloville. I wanna play too. My offering (in progress) from the Sepik river region of Papua New Guinea (with a little poetic license ), a very powerful female image. Her name is Hewe-Meri ( http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/sepikriv/sepikmid/yentmeri.htm#1 ).

The ceramic wall plaque I created today is kind of a combination of one of the masks that was posted earlier as a reference to New Guinea art, and the traditional Hewe-Meri body type.

You all likee, I hope ? Any suggestions for glazes? She's in both Terra Cotta and white clay...
I could just fire her and leave her Au-Naturel, but she might be nice in greens and browns.

OK....Here is the start of my Sepik Spirit mask.....Man, everyone is doing some killer stuff...this is gonna be an AWESOME 2009 art Swap.

I found a beat up piece of 2 x 6 pine behind the shed...this will be perfect!!

Sketched on a rough outline!!

Carving is mostly complete at this point.

I did the good'ol burn treatment to it....not so sure I like it too well though....gonna have to work with this abit to acheive better results.

Hopefully I can get some more work done on it tomorrow.

Thanks for lookin!!

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2009-05-29 20:39 ]

The grain is outasite , very kewl werk . CHEERS DUDE !

Spectacular grain in that one "headhunter." Great carve too.
Everything is really super, I gotta get coooking to have something
that makes the grade. Progress so far, a lot of embelishment still
to come.

M
mp posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 1:44 AM

Beautiful work everyone. I love watching all this new art pop up!

Beautiful stuff here!

Mango, your bone pendant is awesome!

Palapala, Hewe-Meri scares the crap out of me! :lol: As far as your glaze question, I thought she was finished. I think it looks perfect just like it is, I love using different colored clays and leaving the natural colors. Maybe you could add some touches of green underglaze to the skirt for a little color, maybe a satin clear to protect her and really bring out the colors of the clay.

Meheadhunter, I have to agree that the grain marks in that piece are just stunning.

Conga, coming along great. I really like the dotted paint.

tyger jymmy......thanks...I put some dark walnut stain on it last night and it looks a lot better now....pretty happy with the results....gotta get some painting done on it now....getting closer to being finished....I'll try and post some pics soon of the progress.

congatiki.....Thanks...glad you like it. I know the burnt woodgrain look is not traditional....but I thought it would be fun to try...I think I'm gonna start carving a lot more often...this is fun. Your mask is turning out very cool....cant wait to see it finished!!

MadDogMike....Thanks...I'm alot happier with it now that I have stained it....Its more subtle now and the lights and darks dont contrast so much anymore....has more of a rich feel to it now!!!

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2009-05-31 10:34 ]

:o WoWzA! WoWzA!! WoWzA!!! :o INCREDIBLE artwork'z pumpin outada PNG jungle... Booyah - Boogedy - Boo! :D

OK'den, I get off me arse and go work da kine magic like the rest of d'Arts Swapi Tribe... so I grab bits O'dis & bits O'dat and this what I gotz so far...

... it's a little rough but I see it coming together, don't you? Completely river inspired, is the regional influence obvious... no?

More to follow... :wink:

T

looking good so far Jonesey. :tiki:

P

Thanx Mad Dog!
What a great and creative art Ohana we have on TC!
Really, you don't have to be scared of Hewe-Meri, if you treat your women well...Heh! She will only turn you to someone with "indoor plumbing" if you do anything Kapu! (Those of you who don't know her story;
http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/sepikriv/sepikmid/yentmeri.htm#1 )
I like the idea of the green underglaze...just got some dark green the other day.
I'll use some on her skirt, and also on the rope in her hair, and I'll fill in the lettering with green, too.a transparant satin glaze over all should look really cool!
I just made a mould for Hewe Meri mugs, too! She's not a one-off, I want to make a bunch of her. but I'd like some feedback and maybe I could still do something special with #1 of 100 for the art swap too.
She has bat wings in this incarnation.

TB

UNBELIEVABLE!

Duke needs to visit my studio in Orange!
Lovely!
:)

Very cool.....This just makes Duke even more special. Great pictures

Z

I love the fact that the Duke is such a traveller! That is awesome!

Finally, after 3 tries, I'm almost finished with a PNG painting that is more PNG than the last 2...

Eureka!

~Zero

Zero, I like the color. Seems like we don't see much blue PNG stuff

L
laojia posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 3:13 PM

My swap offering is finished!

Yipwan figure handcarved in Grenadill wood.

I hope you find this small sculpture up to the swap, in any case it is the most difficult piece I have sculpted so far...

Other views

work in progress and more pics here

Have a good night!

J.

Laojia, I don't go into the Carving section very often (mostly because I'm jealous :) ) so I wasn't familiar with your work. I just read through your entire thread and you are a CARVING MONSTER!!!!! So many cool things done in exotic hardwoods. The Yipwan is beautiful.

Ditto what MDM just said! Juicy carve! yuk yuk!

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2009-06-09 08:07 ]

BT

Is there a finish date set yet?

I'm kindof pushing the deadline and hopin I make it.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 7:54 PM

On 2009-06-08 15:28, Badd Tiki wrote:
Is there a finish date set yet?

I'm kindof pushing the deadline and hopin I make it.

The end of JUNE :D

Ya hear that Babalu.Squid.BigToe,Clysdalle,Bowana?

END of June!
:)

Now get crack-a-lackin!

Conga's humble offering.....

Very impressed with the offerings for the swap, nice work everyone.

N

Conga and Laojia, very nice work!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jun 10, 2009 3:11 PM

I've been away from a computer for a few days..

So I come back here today and shit! - so many nice things surface when not paying attention.

I promise to pay better attention to these lovely children.

MadDogMike - The Baining Fire Dance Mug and the matching Pendant(w/beads) is so colorful and chunky + funky + cool. One of a kind, a standout presentation that's simply unforgettable. I likey them a lot.

TikiBai - Duke! International icon and star worthy of envy. A centerpiece attraction -kinda the roller coaster in the middle of our PNG amusement play-park. I would be proud to display Duke in my little grass hut.

Tikiville - Wall Carving. Awesome work on the wood project. Love the style, the grain, the stain, the paint. A very retro looking piece. Smart and well executed. I share my enthusiasm with many I'm sure.

Tobunga - As usual your creativity remains light years ahead of mine. I stand in shadow and tip my hat. Plush toys..I mean you're the only one creating plush tiki toys, right? These cute icons hold court in certain LA tiki social circles. I couldn't begin to duplicate one of these; I mean I can't even hold a needle and thread let alone thread a needle. Bonus - You receive two - WOW!!

VanTiki - The mask/mug combo. OMG!(or OMF'kgG) This offering really kicks my ass. Pretty stoked. Pretty speechless. Pretty incredible. Pretty.

TikiMango - Your pendant came out beautiful. You know I love all your work, so to see your new posts is something anticipated on an almost daily basis. I'm relieved & happy you decided to participate in this year's swap. I'm positive that art-swap-2009-TC'rs are excited (you joined.)

Palapala - Hewe-Meri! This mug is SWEET! Kinda scary..kinda funky..kinda my gal! I have yet to create in clay so I'm very open to unique and fun pieces like this. Inspiring and more inspiring.

Congatiki - Mask looks so good, dude! Modern primitive stuff going an here. I likey this one a lot too! (I know it must be the seashell eyes.)

Zerotiki - Are you finished with the blue canvas? So far, so good. Plenty of vibrant action and childlike and ghostlike qualities. Bravo!

Laojia - The grenadil wood Yipwan figure? SO BLOODY NICE! Such a nice exotic hardwood too..words cannot express..

LLT - Love your painting Ken, as always a fun conversation piece as I have come to expect. I expect this to become an heirloom canvas for somebody.

AlohaStation - Have you finished your walnut "Spy vs Spy" style pendant? Can't wait to see the finished piece. Looks awesome as is.

• THANKS ALL FOR SHARING WITH US SO FAR -

To the rest - Keep us art fans in the loop with progress shots as I can barely wait to see the rest of these babies as they come up to post.

Cheers! G

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-06-10 15:50 ]

Yes! I think I shall call my piece, "the ghost of PNG". I am quite pleased with it, and the other painting that came out of this project(the one that was new zealand). Last touches included a touch 'o' yellow to add ghostly luminosity, and a special toy surprise that the recipient will discover (it's a secret!)

Cheers,
~Zero

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jun 11, 2009 1:05 PM

ZeroTiki- Your painting is beautiful...but -

"Ghost of PNG"?

OMG! An honor to have inspired your painting title!

Thanks, man!

Oil and acrylic on artist stretched box canvas. I tried to give it a mid-century feel with references to printmaking, commercial art, modern art, etc.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2009-06-11 15:59 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2009-06-17 15:27 ]

Zero!
Sneaky!
two wunnerful offerings for the Swap!
Za-ZANG!

PNG Fevah!

N

On 2009-06-11 18:08, little lost tiki wrote:
Zero!
Sneaky!
two wunnerful offerings for the Swap!
Za-ZANG!

PNG Fevah!

what LLT said

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 12, 2009 9:57 PM

Wow, some awesome pieces in the sawp :D :D :D 'spose I need to get organised and do something eh? :lol: Lets just say mine involves still life photograpgy, a PNG carving, and a genuine WWII PNG grass skirt (which my nan brought back from when she served over there!)

N

bisque - done.
underglaze - done.
in the kiln this weekend.
glaze this Thursday.
here's the latest ghetto cellphone pic:

Here's my first Sculpey attempt. Wall hanging about 7" long. Now for paint!

If I have enough time, I'd also like to include a necklace, we'll see.

This could be the best swap ever, I think, such wonderful offerings!

Amy

V

Just threw my swap mug in the kiln. Remember - colors will shift during the firing!

T

if the colors stayed like that it would still be as great as I know it will come out to be. Looks like my favorite icecream. Can you guesS

T

if the colors stayed like that it would still be as great as I know it will come out to be. Looks like my favorite icecream. Can you guesS Bird plane etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies