Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies

Details in progress...

Jonesy!
you are a friggin tease!

This has got to be one of the BESTEST SWAPS yet!
Thanks Hewey
and everyone who is making PNG goodness!

That's really cool Jones, now what the hell is it? :o

I'm thinking the top picture is a trap for the Northern Cassowary

And the bottom picture is a closeup of Sepik putter

PS - Are you going to be able to ship that from the Eastern Shores of Western Civilization to the Western Shores of Eastern Civilization?

We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
And watch the world die.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-06-15 17:47 ]

maybe it's a life-size meeting house!
JOY!
:))

V

Okey-Dokey!

Proud to present my entry into the Summer Art Swap: The Ambassador #1

Yes, it is a straw holder. Was gonna be a mug, but A) it was kinda humbug to take it on and off the wall, and (more importantly) B) I got a bit of a pinhole in the interior glaze so The Ambassador isn't quite water-tight. It is free-standing, should you choose not to hang it, but he sure looks sweet on a wall!

Can't wait to start drawing names

Mahalo for letting me partake -
Henrik

Okay Kanes & Wahines:
There is still 11 days left. 11. it's not even funny.

hurry and add to the PNG goodness!

~Zero

On 2009-06-19 11:44, ZeroTiki wrote:
Okay Kanes & Wahines:
There is still 11 days left. 11. it's not even funny.

hurry and add to the PNG goodness!

~Zero

"But, not only, not only the right of free travel, I'm saying...eleven."

I better get to painting!

P

Ok Art Ohana!
Here's my finished product(s).
It seems I freaked out a lot of folks with my first Hewe Meri ceramic plaque, so I made another one, this time in her bat winged incarnation, rear view,more white clay than terra cotta, with a more "human-ish" face....I think I'm going to keep the other one, but I might be talked out of it... also, here's my first casting of my new mug,same subject, but more bat faced.
You like-ee?
I'm planning to put her, and my other mugs up on ESTY.com some time soon,but I would do some thing special for TC'ers.

Creepily RAD!

There is just sooooo much PNG beauty,weirdness,and creativity
for this SWAP!
Quick kids!
Get 'er done!

Looks good Palapa, but I like the first one best. Let 'em freak! :D

Hey, I got to ask...Are there more than a few women artists participating?
Just curious, since most of the work seems very male oriented.
sure would like to see more strong feminine imagery...I know that's not standard tiki,
but we Got to represent,tu-tu's and wahine's!

Palapala 1.not sure if you've noticed BUT there are only a few women doing tiki art in the first place. not sure where the hoards of "sistas representin" are going to magically appear from to participate in an obscure art swap.
2.as a girl who does tiki art I don't find the need to specifically make my art about a female representation of tiki, or male for that matter. so again NOT SURE why you think just because a woman does tiki art that it needs to be ABOUT women.

I will be offering up a swap piece most likely just in-time for the deadline. make of it what you will.

P

hey, Peace, Dawn!
Did'nt mean to wrong rub you!
I just said I was curious...I bet there are more women artists out there than you might think.
AND female imagery in tiki is as valuable as male or unspecified,IMHO!

I'm a female but my entry has a beard. :D

I'm female, and if I don't pluck,I get a little fuzzy, too!
(ooops!TMI alert?)
LOL.

TB

On 2009-06-20 11:15, palapala wrote:
sure would like to see more strong feminine imagery...I know that's not standard tiki,

hello Palapala... I think I have an answer for you :wink::
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31908&forum=18&start=150&163

P

Bonjour M. Bai!
merci beaucoup, votre travail est incroyable!
(thank you very much , your artwork is amazing!)

I am made humble by your talent, where can I purchase some for my own collection?.

I believe that the nature of art is to provoke an emotional response (case in point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Scream.jpg )
It doesn't have to be beautiful or sweet all the time, but it should make you think and feel. I don't consider myself a creator of "high" art, but I do enjoy the fact that people might be responding to my creations with strong feelings.

I'm very pleased and grateful to be a part of this art swap. I don't feel its something small or trivial to share the creative process with so many talented people.

Thank you all.

:o I'm just blooown awaaay... all da artistic pngoodness jumping out of New Guinea jungles into this Swap! :o HOLY SMOKES!!! :o TIC! TOC!! TIME'z running short!!! Better get to finishing up ye Ol' Cassowary Lodge & Trap Bar... :wink:

This time next week it will be time to check da list ... but until then, create like mad! There's still time!
~Zero

On 2009-06-21 08:40, palapala wrote:
I believe that the nature of art is to provoke an emotional response
It doesn't have to be beautiful or sweet all the time, but it should make you think and feel. I don't consider myself a creator of "high" art, but I do enjoy the fact that people might be responding to my creations with strong feelings.

Palapala: Read this thread

Buzzy Out!

P

Thank you Buzzy. Illuminating and thought provoking. I'm gonna bump the thread with a controversial picture - just want to see how other people are feeling at this point about art and tiki.

N

On 2009-06-20 11:15, palapala wrote:

Am I included in the "few" or in the "more than a few"? :wink:

P

"We few, we more than a few, we proud estrogen keepers in the tiki world hold our ta-Ta's high, and cry: "WE WANT CHOCOLATE WITH OUR RUM!"
One addage states- " A Woman is a person who can put large things in small places"
If that makes you think, feel, re-act, examine your life (or the contents of your undies), or clean out your closet, good on ya!

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-06-24 09:48 ]

Greetings,

Here is the under painting for my "New Guinea Contract" swap piece.

Will it be completed in time?

We shall see...

Anthony Carpenter
My Sketch-Blog: http://sketchville-sketchman66.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: artosaurus 2009-06-25 00:19 ]

P

um, looks done to me. great, man.

Go, go, go artosaurus! It's looking fan-tiki-tastic, and five days could be time enough...Either way, can't wait to see the finished prouct!
~Zero

BT

underpainting? that's perfect, me wants.

Honestly, if I got to choose any single piece out of this thread I wouldn't know which one to choose.

I got busy on mine but have some work to go. I got a little carried away with my saw, so it's no longer a mini statue, I got busy the other night and seperated the mask from the stump. It'll be a pendant, now I gotta get busy weaving the hemp necklace for it. I haven't done that in a long time and it needs to be long, so I gotta get to work. I have a few nice wood beads that have been lieing around to so I'll weave those in.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 26, 2009 9:32 PM

Ive finally got organised and made up my swap piece. Ive done some still life photography, with a PNG carving and a PNG grass skirt. The grass skirt is a gen-yoo-wine grass skirt from PNG, which my nan brought back with her, from when she served in WWII - so its an awesome piece of authentic Aussie tiki culture!

So here is the grass skirt and the carving I used:

and here is the final swap piece all framed up :D

Ive edited the pic of the carving to B&W for more vintage and moody vibe, and used the pic of the grass skirt as the background. The white border on the carving photo helps to distinguish it from the grass skirt.

too cool for skool,hewey!

artosaurus.....you're done! beautiful in the sepia!

Does anybody wanna collect up ALL the swap entries from this thread so far
or have everybody post their offerings
so we can have an exciting line-up to drool over
see all the last minute entries
and allow all those stuck-up people who didn't participate
(ie: Clysdalle,Big Toe,GROG,etc...)
to feel those sweet pangs of regret!

Bring it on!
:)

V

On 2009-06-27 08:08, little lost tiki wrote:
Does anybody wanna collect up ALL the swap entries from this thread so far
or have everybody post their offerings
so we can have an exciting line-up to drool over

Yeah! What he said! :)

dont we still have a couple of days??? Im not done yet but I will make the deadline

:-? It's a Gope Board... :-?

:-? It's a Spirit Hut... :-?

:-? Oh yeah, and it's got a mask... :-?

...wait till ya see what happens after dark.

P

EEEEOWWWWWOOOOO!
SOOOOO cool, TJ! as creative as your work is, you might have to be even more creative in the shipping department :D!

L

After agonizing over whether anyone would actually WANT a piece made be me(esp since the caliber of art in this swap is way beyond my skills) I said screw it.

Here is my offering.

Its a mixed media piece --a little bigger than 9x12 -3 canvases glued together with flowers/feathers that I have entitled "Dance of the Duk-Duk"

There is also a fabric ribbon glued to the back so you can hang it on that as well.

If y'all think its not swap worthy let me know and I will pull it from the swap. Everyone is way too talented!

That's great Leleliz! I'm sure anyone would be glad to have that hanging on their wall.

On 2009-06-27 15:59, palapala wrote:
EEEEOWWWWWOOOOO!
SOOOOO cool, TJ! as creative as your work is, you might have to be even more creative in the shipping department :D!

couldnt you just put it in a ....... wait for it......... BOX

Rock on leleliz! Dig the multilevel mix media idea
for your art. Very creative. Hope this is the beginning
of the "who the hell is leleliz" thread! :D
Love the birdy!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-06-27 18:09 ]

L

Thanks for the kind words :)

I think I may be a "one hit wonder" type of gal but ya never know!

TJ, it's not a Cassowary trap! I'm a little disappointed because I have a Cassowary that has been terrorizing the neighborhood :lol: Great looking spirit hut and mask. When do we get to find out about the magical midnight powers you big tease?

Leleliz, your mixed media piece is just perfect! Unique and fun! I'm so glad you've decided to play and I agree with Jason, we want to see more from you.

P

LELELIZ, You Rock!
Great work!, and don't ever think your efforts are worth ANYTHING less than anyone elses!

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-06-27 21:43 ]

Yeah, what they said! awesome all around...I actually am feeling sheepish about *my *piece now....

~Zero

Let the Midnight Special shine her ever-loving light on me...

Ladies & gentleman, I present: *** The Spirit of Bwongogo *** :D
(A spirit hut inspired by the Romkun, Breri, and Igana peoples, of Ramu or Guam River, Lower Sepik region, Papua New Guinea.)

This is a table/bar light or wall hanging (4"H x 4"W x 18"L), the peak of the hut extends out 8". The lighting source is an LED tea light/ flicker candle.

L

Thanks again for all your nice words.

Love the end piece travelinjones..lit up it looks awesome!

Leleliz - your piece is very nice, and I like that I haven't seen anything quite like it myself.

TravelingJones - nice work and excellent pics of it... it's a beaut!

Leleliz and jonesy
Buss'in ou the 3-D!
ZZZZZZZZZZZang!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies