Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies

T

Beautiful, beautiful..!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 28, 2009 4:01 PM

There are a bunch of AWESOME pieces in this swap, and I cant wait to do the draw. The draw will take place in the first few days of July. My access to a computer will be pretty sketchy as Im going away for the next few days, but I'll do the draw as soon as I get back.

Remember - you must have a pic of the FINISHED swap piece in this thread to be included in the swap. Youve got a couple of days left, so get to work you cheeky little monkeys!

C

A lot of very cool art on this thread, all very creative! travellingjones it's the revelation this year i think, very nice (I want one!) and leleliz your idea is very cool you should make more of those!
(i live to far, and don't do originals so far, to be able to participate, but i surely like what you are doing!!)

The dark horse appears with another fine work of art... congrats to the lucky person who gets this treasure!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-06-29 16:12 ]

:o WOW! What a great turnout for the swap!! I'm just glad I got to play along this time... :D

Sooo I finally flipped back through the thread to see all the pngoodness created by all, lets take a walkabout and a look-see... ( some works still in progress... )

*mp

*Queen Kamehameha

*Robb Hamel

*little lost tiki

*TikiG

*MadDogMike

*TIKIVILLE

*tobunga

*TikiMango

*Meheadhunter

*Tiki Baï

*laojia

*congatiki

*ZeroTiki

*SneakyTiki

*nuKKe

*Krisdrama

*VanTiki

*palapala

*artosaurus

*hewey

*leleliz

*TravelingJones

*AlohaStation

Who has yet to come forward with thier offering? What secrets await to be revealed? Where will it all end? Why sooo many scaaared to enter the swap? When will the names be drawn? How much longer can this madness continue...??? :o

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2009-06-29 09:03 ]

WOW!! What a PNG Motherlode!!! I heard rumors at Hodadhank's Lagoon Chop of some last minute entries to be posted in the next day or two.

L

If you haven't done so already you will want to pm Hewey with your mailing address so when he is prepared to match everyone he has all the info.

Awesome stuff when its put all together like that!

I THOUGHT WE JUST HAD TO
PM BACK-AND FORTH WITH WHOEVER WE'RE SENDING IT TO
AND WHOEVER'S SENDING IT TO US...

Why burden poor hewes with 1000's of PM's?
especially when he has sketchy access to a computer!

L

Oh hey good point! Do that instead!

(I think my brain was wrapped around the idea of it being a secret)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-06-29 12:57 ]

M
mp posted on Mon, Jun 29, 2009 5:56 PM

Hey everyone its MP. I hate to be a stick int the mud, but I put my mug in for firing last week,
and it got bumped because a volunteer thought it was lowfire and left it out of the batch.
It will be fired tomorrow but my wife planned a yosemite trip and were leaving tonite in about an hour.
I wont be able to get a glaze fire photo of it until friday.
I tried PMing Hewey last night for a suggestion but as LLT mentioned maybe he hasnt seen it.
Its my fault its not done on time, and I do want respect the deadline, but I would like to stay in the swap. Can
the tc swap allow me to stay in. I will let you decide. Sorry everyone, MP

If you want to kick MP out I'll wait and swap with him :D

When is the deadline on the art swap? is there still time for a late entry?

L

End of June..but Hewey said he would be matching everyone within the first couple days of July so I am sure you have another few days but not many.

and MP anyone who swaps with you wont mind the wait :)

OK...Finally got my piece finished....There is so much talent and awe inspiring work in this 2009 swap....Great job everyone!!!
Here is my offering to the swap....Inspired by the Lower Sepik Region...A spirit Mask!! Hope you Like!!

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2009-06-29 22:35 ]

Holy Spicolli!! Traveling Jones is my new hero!!!!! I love that Hut Jonesey!!! Looks like one of my dreams come true! I'm sure glad I came across this thread, you guys have produced some amazing work!

R

Wow - so many amazing pieces!

I'm almost afraid to post mine...
but I guess I gotta, since the deadline is today...

I think I did about 5 different studies on this OTHER piece...
until I got real frustrated and tossed them in my "never again" pile :lol:
(people at the chop know what the original studies looked like and woulda been! sorry to change it again!)

So I started all over again with another ref in mind
and ended up liking this cute lil fella:

all done with gouache.
I wanted to try and make it look worn out...
but was too afraid I would've just messed this up!

Painting really made me feel out of my element,
since I am used to just sketching and drawing in pencil.
So go easy on me...this is my 2nd non-sketch/pencil piece I've ever done...
so I apologize for the failness in it!

W

Well, If I'm gona be in this
I better git er done.
I'm up xtra early to ruff this out.
This exotic wood is the rare & invasive
Florida holly.

Ahoy, Okay here it is hope it's not too late ,
get your skull racks ready .
My piece is inspired the Bamu River people.
It's meant to be a hanging lamp ... I'll add the lamp fixture once I know what country it needs to be shipped to.

Traditional Skull ornamentation of this form usually involved a ancestoral gope board, however for this excercise I felt a taboo goblin was in order. The skull is about the size of a full size human head and measures approximately 30cm overall length, it's carved out of a single piece of cypress, and has cocunut fiber and rafia adornments.

Not sure how this works out but do I also need to forward details to someone?

Ravers, looks great! Acrylic on canvas? I liked your Sunday sketches, what happened? Maybe the "Never Again" pile should be a "Later" pile.

Plugger, isn't 8am a little early for some "liquid inspiration" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like the crocodile, I know that's a PNG motif but so far seems like no one else has used it.

W

It's lunch now & here's the progress
on this MAI-KAI collection inspired mask.
the shape's there so I'm starting on detail.
The beer, only for comparison.

Aloha everyone! Last minute. did I beat the deadline?
Here is my submission for the art swap , the green bits are made of silk.

as you can see it's embroidered patchwork construction.

I Hope you all enjoy it!

IS THAT PNG?

at the risk of insensitivity as great as the piece is I'm a single guy that cant think of what I would do with a bag...( really no offense but to an old dude like me but its too gender specific)fantastic work though ,if I had a girl er sumpthin I would have a great gift.just throwin in my two bits of concern on the possibility.
There is nothing but quality and imaginative work in this swap and anybody would be thrilled to receive or trade for anything posted.

Ahoy,
For the record and Sake of Disclosure "Tiki Diva Love" is my wife.

and Yes, it's an interpretation of PNG. she was inspired by a Papuan tribal mask for her bag .

There is approx 700 Languages (or was) in the New Guinea region , and the art is as varied as the region and it's population!

It's great to see everyones art and the different take on things...that is what makes this site interesting.
On with the swap!

My wife would be very happy carrying that bag....I think it turned out really cool!!! Great work!!

On 2009-06-30 10:18, Cap'n Pharaoh wrote:
Ahoy,
For the record and Sake of Disclosure "Tiki Diva Love" is my wife.

and Yes, it's an interpretation of PNG. she was inspired by a Papuan tribal mask for her bag .

There is approx 700 Languages (or was) in the New Guinea region , and the art is as varied as the region and it's population!

It's great to see everyones art and the different take on things...that is what makes this site interesting.
On with the swap!

AH HA!
................BUSTED! hahahaha
Good on ya mayte', wish I had a wife that was into the TIKI gig!
( or just a wife ....sniff)

What's the size of that bag? Looks like it could tote a few record albums around in style.

I think this is one of the cool things about Swaps... you never know what is going to be offered, and you never know what you're gonna get. It's sort of like Christmas with two alcoholic parents.

:drink:

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2009-06-30 10:53 ]

L

If a man receives that bag but doesn't think they can use it...slap it in a frame and hang it on the wall :)

a purse in a frame on a wall?
that's reaching!

next swap I'll be sure to make something extra macho for the ladies!
:)

R

Everyone is gonna hate me for this...but...
Er...maybe for the future Swamps...
there should be a strict rule...

all pieces should be unisex :lol:

it just isn't fair to post a purse...
if a guy gets it...what if he's single..??
Or just doesn't know any girlies that are into tiki?
then what? resell it? whadda ya do?

framing a purse..?
Er...
that's....
kinda...
lame...
sorry!!!!

R

On 2009-06-30 11:28, ravenne wrote:
Everyone is gonna hate me for this...but...
Er...maybe for the future Swamps...
there should be a strict rule...

all pieces should be unisex :lol:

it just isn't fair to post a purse...
if a guy gets it...what if he's single..??
Or just doesn't know any girlies that are into tiki?
then what? resell it? whadda ya do?

framing a purse..?
Er...
that's....
kinda...
lame...
sorry!!!!

SWAMPS?

eek :lol: I meant SWAPS!

:lol:

Detail is just about in there & for a finish.
I realize PNG is all about painting, but,
we all know I can't paint.
So I'm not going there.

I'm thinking a hand rub finish

HeHe - she said UNISEX!!

agreed.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a Kinny inspired cod piece. Maybe we can work a private exchange - NOT!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2009-06-30 12:27 ]

N

Here it is, all glazed and assambled, with bad lighting (sorry about that). The bamboo is for hanging but all the nails around the apartment are too short and volunrable for it.

"...Christmas gift from 2 alcoholic parents..."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last minute cool stuff!

Cap'n - bitchin' lamp

Tiki Diva - Welcome to TC & don't let the buzzards get you down, I think it's an awesome purse/wall hanging :)

nuKKe - sweet wall hanging, I have a weak spot for pieces using different colored clays.

Plugger - you'd better git jiggy wit it, remember that June 30th ends 3 hours earlier on the east coast :D (nice nose!)

W

OK,
Got some finish goin on.
A few more details & we'll be there

wplugger.....Now that is what I call last minute. Lookin' good!!

P

How could Xmas with 2 boozin' 'Rent's be worse than Hanukkah presents from the 7/11? :D!
This photo Finnish of art submissions has more wonderful twists than an M. Night Shyamamalamamalan Movie
(His early work, of course!)

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-06-30 14:49 ]

Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan...have you seen the preveiw for "The Last Airbender"? It looks Ef'in awesome!!

BT

Wow, so many cool things. Makes me really sad now that I didn't finish and wont be a part of it.

I realized that I'm just not an experienced enough carver to try and get things done last minute. I've been busy with other things lately and the time got away from me.

W

It's
Showtime

I chunked out the back to lighten it
& I may need to take out more. We'll
see who wins it.
Also I'm thinking hidden hanger but
may be a lether hanger from the top
could work.

dang Will!
tis a beauty!

BEST SWAP EVER!
:)

On 2009-06-30 14:48, palapala wrote:
How could Xmas with 2 boozin' 'Rent's be worse than Hanukkah presents from the 7/11? :D!

Having your boozin' parents forget Christmas, but tell you they'll make up for it during the post-Christmas sales. True story!

Some really great last minute offerings, this Swap is awesome. I think the subject matter afforded everyone a chance to produce something. We gots paintings, we gots carvings, we gots ceramics, and we gots textiles! I think we covered all the bases.

L

Hey I was TRYING to be open-minded!

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jun 30, 2009 7:58 PM

Ok - my piece is almost done, I'm stringing her up right now, but here's some pictures in progress, I'm adding the string right after this post.

First photo is from about 2 weeks ago:

Here's all the carving done and stained:

With paint, front:

With paint, back:

I've had a busy month, but I've been working on her since the topic was chosen. Had to rush a bit since Sunday, but I'm really glad I got it done - there's some incredible stuff!

Finito!

Nothing like a last minute posting. :)

After five hours of nonstop brushwork Monday night, I finally put this baby (and myself) to bed.

I painted it on an 8"x10" mounted panel ( Hobby Lobby/Great surface/Highly recommended)
and decided to give it an aged cover look. A few surface scars and a final yellowy wash did
the trick and gave it the slightly faded look I was after.

Then I thought it would be cool if it looked like a real book, so I painted the sides accordingly.
It should look pretty nifty hanging on the wall or sitting on a table.

Lots of seriously amazing stuff in this here swap. Talent abounds!
I've got my eye on several and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's the art:

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jun 30, 2009 8:49 PM

Wow Anthony! I thought it was done with just the black and white sketch! That is great - it really looks like a book!

Got mine strung up and here's a new photo. I added a ruler so you could see the scale, although the ruler didn't show up too well. She's just over 5 inches tall, so pretty large for a pendant, but still wearable - or would look great hanging on the wall as well.

I'm really excited about this swap. It's really great that it inspired some people to do stuff they normally wouldn't. I think that's a really important part of the swap - to challenge yourself to do something new. I was really nervous about my pieces in the first few swaps, but the swaps have really pushed me to do stuff that's out of my comfort zone, both with carving ideas, and putting my stuff out there for others.

I don't think pieces need to be unisex. There's always going to be pieces in the swap that you would prefer more than others. It's part of the risk of participating.

L

Wow I love that piece Anthony ! Really awesome end result!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies