Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies

Let me know if I am too late for the party or if my "Melanisian Modern" doesn't fit the criteria. Here is an earlier pic before sanding and finish. 18" tall....Red Cedar. Will post completed pic tomorrow if it is a go. Aloha

Sorry but I just couldn't get my project done in the last few weeks and I just didn't feel right about turning in something half assed after seeing all the kick ass work that was posted. Maybe next year. Awesome job to everyone that made the deadline with some really cool pieces.

F

Hi Guys
Many many apologies, I will not be able to complete a piece for the swap, I'm gutted as there are loads of great pieces but I've had a bit of a crisis with a building collapsing on our land which has to be cleared and replaced, as I said earlier I'm gutted having taken part in the last 2.
I'm happy to donate a piece to make up numbers if needed but it wouldn't be PNG.
Sorry guys
Flynny

N

This has became my current favourite thread here in TC: so much talent and creativity all over the place! I like the progress pics but I just love the final results - the variety of style and mediums and these unexpected last minute postings are all true eye candies. I am really looking forward to the next step, i.e shipping.

It's been a few years since I last swapped/ traded art and I cannot wait til the next swap. When will it be? Which theme? Last night before falling asleep I was thinking - a Tiki Bob tribute? Tapa-themed? Cocktail-inspired? Moai? I'd love to participate/ organize another swap before Christmas.

My apologies for not commenting on each and every one of the entries - it's gonna take too much storage space and time (I should've been on my way to work already and instead I'm still in my nightwear, browsing the forums).

Ok, enough talk - bring on the pics!
K.

Procrastination is my middle name! I hope I'm not too late. Sorry for the crappy lighting, it does look better in person.

Now that the submission deadline has passed, how are we doing the Swap? Will it be straight up or single swapping? My preferance is to do it straight up. You swap with the person you are sending your stuff to.

P

nuKKe wrote,
Quote:

It's been a few years since I last swapped/ traded art and I cannot wait til the next swap. When will it be? Which theme? Last night before falling asleep I was thinking - a Tiki Bob tribute? Tapa-themed? Cocktail-inspired? Moai? I'd love to participate/ organize another swap before Christmas

I've been thinking about a subject, too!
What about the "7 Deadly sins"?

That's how it was done during the Maori themed Swap...
Mieko and I got to swap and got the most killerest 2-sided pendant from her!
(awaiting Ernie's grammar police...)
and i sent her a "HEI"-Tiki drawing!
That way shipping is pretty fair and balanced as well...

but it IS up to hewey..

hewey?

artosaurus! awesome entry!

Krisdrama, very cool finished piece, Artosaurus too. I thought your "book" looked good in black & white, it really rocks in color!

Now this may take some patience on our parts... Hewey was going to draw names and pair people up but it sounds like Hewey is having some computer issues. Since this is Hewey's baby, I'm up for waiting until he can see it through

Maybe Liana has some insight?

We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
And watch the world die.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-07-01 08:42 ]

this could just complicate things ....Just throwing it out there anyway...Hewey if you need help getting access to a computer I can help I'm in toowoon bay but I just moved from newtown and have access still there.

B

I closed my eyes and whoooosh the high tide rolled in! Daaaaaang! look what came ashore in the wee hours!!! :o

Sooo many creative entries by ALL and everyone is a WINNER in my eyes! Reeeally cool entries and glad I got in on the fun... big hugs and fist tags to those who left a kind word for my spirit hut/mask... although I owe MadDogMike an apology, for leading him on that a Cassowary trap was to be built and delivered...:wink: :lol: Maybe next swap???

Apology accepted, besides, I like the Spirit Hut better
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 9:44 PM

On 2009-06-30 20:07, artosaurus wrote:

Here's the art:

i'm really sorry i didn't get in on this. there's a ton of great stuff.

this piece, in particular, really speaks to me. for some reason i find it calming.

you, sir, are an amazing artist.

huzzaa!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 2, 2009 12:06 AM

SWAP DONE

Hello hello PNG swappers! First of all congrats to all of the artists who have participated in the swap, we had 30 people all up! Awwwwwwwesome! The theme was really popular, and there was a great diversity in the pieces in the swap, which really reflects on all the talented artists we have on here.

Okay, so the way this works is you PM your swap partner with your mailing address (make sure you include the name of your country and your zip code!), and they do the same. You send your piece (well wrapped of course!) in the mail, then wait like a little kid the night before Christmas by the letterbox for your piece to arrive in the mail! Its awesome if you can post a picture of the piece in its new home so you can show the creator where it ended up :D

Nooooooow, the list…. (if this was reality TV I would drag this out more! But half of you have already gone down to check out the list first before reading this).

Artosaurus – MP
Sneakytiki – Robb Hamel
Tiki Diva Love – Alohastation
Queen Kamehameha – Tobunga
Zerotiki – Congatiki
Meheadhunter – Tiki Bai
Laoija – Tikiville
Mieko – Tikimango
Wplugger – Maddogmike
Krisdrama – Leleliz
Travelling Jones – Van Tiki
Cap’n Pharoah – Ravenne
Palapala – Hewey
Little Lost Tiki – Bongofury
Nukke – Tiki G

The results were written on paper and pulled randomly out of a pith helmet! There was video of the draw as it happened, but might take a little time before it goes up on youtube.

Thanks everyone for participating, there were some great pieces, and I hope everyone is stoked with their scores :D :D :D :D

Of course Im open to suggestions for another swap, both timeframes and swap themes.

[ Edited by: hewey 2009-07-02 00:25 ]

Thanks Hewey. This is my first Swap and it's been great fun!

R

Seeing the list was like christmas morning! :lol:

Thanks again for organizing this hewey & to all the participants - it's been lotsa fun :)

I am happeh to have been part of the swap, my first one too just like MMD :D

RH

Great job Hewey and everyone involved - the amount of enthusiasm completely blew me away.

Sorry I wasn't more involved myself: Life just dropped too much good work - Home and Art - in my lap at one time to do it.

I can't wait to hang Sneakytiki's piece in my home.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 2, 2009 7:57 AM

Thanks Hewey -

I'm really stoked about this whole experience, and I get to swap with nuKKe - from ISRAEL!

It is Christmas in July

Thanks to all the other participants too. Without the buzz generated over the last couple months, I wouldn't have joined. God Bless all of ya.

YAY!
i got a KILLER bongofury modernist mask
for the studio wall!
and i don't have to frame a purse! :lol:

Great SWAP,hewey!
and soooo glad that PNG,one of the more mysterious of the Tiki lands
was brought to the forefront of all these creative minds!

Such Talent y'all!
BRAVO!

Mahalos hewey!
you did good!
:)

Thanks so much hewey....And a big thanks to all who participated!!
This is also my first swap....Thanks for havin' me!!

I am totally stoked to be trading with Tiki Bai!!!
Another great new item to add to the collection!!

MAHALO HEWEY!
The anticipation was killing me and there are so many great artists that contributed as well , hard to believe !

V

Mega-Mahalo Hewey!

This year's swap was a blast - and I am SO happy to be paired up with Jonesy! So much amazing artwork - we could have filled a gallery with it! A big thank you to everyone who was involved, and to Hewey for organizing the whole shebang. Now let's start planning the next one! :)

Henrik

Z

this was SOOO much fun, Hewey! Can't wait for the next time!
Will post pic of my new PNG piece in its home, thanks to 'da Conga!

~Zero

TB

merci beaucoup Hewey :)
it was fun!!!! I'm very impress about all the different style! See! tikis still alive! :wink:

looks like we found each other meheadhunter :wink: It's my first swap too! :wink: I'm very very very happy to receive your art in Paris!

... I'll be there for the next swap for sure!
ciao and Bravo!
Baï

:D FREAK'n WITS DA VANTIKI... STOKED!!! :D

Everyone's a WINNER and amazing entries by ALL!

1. I wonder what the next theme will be....hhhmmmm? 8)

Mahalo'z Hewey! What a BLAST!!!

L

Thanks for organizing this :)
I was nervous to take part but appreciate everyone's kind comments.

Looking forward to the next one....I vote for a Tiki Bob tribute!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-02 17:21 ]

P

DITTO, Hewey!
I've got a great place to hang your pic! hope your're ok with a spooky female in your house!

K

I had a lot of fun with my first Art Swap entry. Can't wait to get my swap buddy's in the mail. So when's the next one?! I love an excuse to make something! Thanks for allowing me to participate!

jonesEy could get crapped on at tiki bobs and come out smelling like a hibiscus! :lol: great png art by EVERYBODY. i really have enjoyed following this thread.

T

Great swap! Can't wait for the next. Thanks to everyone that participated!

If talent was a hump he would be a camel, datz why I'm swappin' wit' da Man RoBB HameL!
I'm super stoked to get a framed Hamel piece for my tiki digs!

Great job citizens of Tiki world!

S
T

L

On 2009-07-02 21:00, Sneakytiki wrote:
If talent was a hump he would be a camel, datz why I'm swappin' wit' da Man RoBB HameL!
I'm super stoked to get a framed Hamel piece for my tiki digs!

Great job citizens of Tiki world!

S
T

haha!

way to bust a rhyme!

Werd!WORD!

Z

On 2009-07-02 16:14, leleliz wrote:

Looking forward to the next one....I vote for a Tiki Bob tribute!

I agree with leleliz! Bob~tastic idea for a swap!
...or maybe the 13 faces of Lono?
~Zero

M
mp posted on Fri, Jul 3, 2009 2:52 PM

Thanks Hewey and everyone for letting me stay in the swap. Artosaurous, Im stoked to get your piece,
its awesome. I think they all looks great! For my PNG mug I used a food safe hi fire glaze on the inside
and copper and iron oxide on the face. Its been great watching all this art happen and to be a part of it.

The six faces

The bottom and with a friend

Cant wait for the next swap, MP

heres my swap piece. TOO LATE TO ACTUALLY SWAP I know....... needless to say to those who know me but life at my house sucks, and dealing with a crazy person takes all my time.
soooo if somebody wants my painting PM me and I will send it to you. Dawn

ALREADY CLAIMED_____________
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-07-03 21:40 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-07-03 21:42 ]

Mikel, your mug glazed up beautifully.
Dawn, sorry you didn't make the deadline but so glad to see you are painting again. Absolutely gorgeous!

Looking forward to more work from both of you.

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2009 1:21 AM

MP and Dawn - WowX2!

I've been following along and am so jealous of all the cool art that got made and traded! The one that sitcks in my mind the most is artasaurus' "book cover" painting. So cool! Dawn, too bad you missed the deadline - that painting is gorgeous! I've decided I NEED to swap next time, looks like everyone had so much fun.

Don't worry, I will NOT make a purse! :lol:

T

Oh.
My.
Tiki.
Gods.

YAY!!! I'm getting a Queen Kamehameha pendant! The moment I saw it, I was all "I WANT!!!" So glad to be getting it!

Mucho Mahalos Hewey!

An original mp PNG mug! One of a kind! And it's all mine!
Life is good.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my piece. Your kind words
are much appreciated.

Man, there were sooo many cool pieces in this swap.
Thanks for letting me in on it. It was a real Blast-O-Roonie!

I'm all in for the next one. :)

P

Hey, all!
I have one "Hewe Meri" plaque left after my swap with Hewey..It's up for grabs if anyone would like to trade it for somethig they made...personal message me if you're interested!

Make me somthing Tripical. You know,a mai-tai,with 3 shots of rum!
Is it just me, or do whales look like they're built upside down?

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-07-06 10:32 ]

This was way cool!!!! Great job everyone!!!!!

Amy

Z

I really enjoyed seeing all of the cool coolishness on this swap... it is a pleasure to talk with so many creative geniuses and happy ohana....When's the Bob swap?

~Z.
(and yes, I mis-spelled 'genius')

Visit Zerotiki!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-07-11 15:55 ]

L

Krisdrama was my swap partner and my package arrived today. It looks even better in person and is so lightweight!

I totally love it and excellent work!

And yes I think we should do a Tiki Bob swap next...because I already started on something!

Here is a pic of where it is hanging and a close up of its awesomeness. Thanks again Hewey for organizing!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-11 12:26 ]

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 8:18 AM

Aloha!

I received a package from Israel last Saturday afternoon..

Upon breaking open the seal I heard a not too subtle sigh of relief emanating from deep within the box buried under newspaper and foam peanuts

I placed my hands on either side of the box, reached down into the packing material, felt the coolness of the object and lifted. It seemed the package was giving birth

How exciting it is to lay eyes on a brand new, totally unique work of art, a work of art that was conceived and brought to life, literally, on the other side of the planet

Here I am proudly displaying my nuKKe PNG shield immediately following the installation of the piece front and center of my tiki shrine at home. Thanks nuKKe for such a beautiful work of art.

Now on to the next swap. What's the official theme? Tiki Bob? Okay!

Aloha - TikiG

N
nuKKe posted on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 2:22 AM

TikiG - so, so cool! Thanks for posting the picture. I love seeing my work among more tikis than in the entire state of Israel.

Yeah, Bob. When?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies