Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Fogcutter Fountain!

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

Rigged this pretty thing up from readily available parts. It's a submerged coconut cup with fog emanating from within. An ode to the ultimate Samoan Fogcutter. Something pretty to look at while you sip your Fogcutter in the HeadHunter Tiki Bar!

http://magicmartini.com/headhunter/fogcutter.htm

My next project is a Spirit Locker... I'll post before and after pictures when I finish.

Cool! How did you make it?

T

Forget lookin' at it, I want to drink it :D

Very nicely done!

To make the fogcutter fountain:

1 coconut cup from oriental.com (they come 12 for $20)
1 parasol from oriental .com (they come 144 for $3)
1 straw.
1 Bowl of your choosing. The metal leaf bowl I used can be purchased at Illuminations, a candle chain store.
1 mist maker. You can snag one for $27 at this yahoo store: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/crafters2000/ulfog.html

The bowl has water in it, so does the cup. Putting the mist maker inside the cup serves 2 puposes - the neat effect of the fog coming from within the "drink" and it prevents the splashing that otherwise would occur from a mist maker, which shoots up fog AND water... (if you submerse the mist maker deep enough below water to decrease the amount of water droplets it shoots up, you also significantly decrease fog output).

And that's it!

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2002-06-10 12:43 ]

K

There's nothing deadly about the fog itself, so I suppose you actually could drink it... What would be neat is to have a volcano bowl, where the "volcano" in the center was deep enough to submerse the mist maker so it would work... fog would then be poured out to dance over the surface of your rum drink filling the bowl part.

I got one of those fogmakers last December. I brought it to the last gathering at Oceanic Arts to show to anyone who would look! The one on display at the store where I bought it (Stat's in Pasadena, CA) had a yellow light emanating from it. Imagine my glee when I found out the one I bought had a red light. I put it in a fountain that I have situated above my tiki garden in the corner of my room. The red fog rolls out like a volcano. The rest of the garden is illuminated by candles in translucent red votives.

T

On 2002-06-10 22:27, floratina wrote:

I put it in a fountain that I have situated above my tiki garden in the corner of my room. The red fog rolls out like a volcano. The rest of the garden is illuminated by candles in translucent red votives.

I would love to see some pics.

I am also filing away all this info so when I finally get to do my home tiki bar/wing of my house, I'll be using alot of these ideas. Thanks, and I say keep'em coming! :wink:

The spirit locker is behind me in these pictures. I'll post directions soon.
http://hukilau.info/ford.htm

Hey Kahukini!

Your bar is cool! Is that an Aku Aku mug you're drinking from?

K

Thanks, it has served me well! Sure enough, it was the first tiki mug I found. Got it in an antique store in memphis. The seller thought it was a toothbrush holder.

Pages: 1 9 replies