Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Sidman's South Seas, Wichita, KS (restaurant)

Pages: 1 1 replies

M

Name:Sidman's South Seas
Type:restaurant
Street:1601 E. Douglas St.
City:Wichita
State:KS
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

I just discovered this place, but could not find much info on it.

It was owned by Jack Sidman, who was a pretty big restauranteur in the area. He opened his first restaurant in 1951, and the South Seas was opened in 1955. He had a number of restaurants, and they were all under the Sidman's System name.

Here's a pic of a South Seas menu :down:

Sidman's South Seas was also one of the first places to introduce the all you can eat buffet in Wichita, and it became very popular because of it. I found mention of it that proves it existed and was still operational through 1964.

The building still exists today - it's an early, typical "main street" architecture type - and is now some type of a youth center. That's about all I could find. Anyone else?

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-05-11 01:12 ]

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-05-11 01:15 ]

On 2009-05-11 01:04, Mo-Eye wrote:

[snip] Sidman's South Seas : The building still exists today - it's an early, typical "main street" architecture type - and is now some type of a youth center. That's about all I could find. Anyone else?

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-05-11 01:12 ]

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-05-11 01:15 ]

Here's what the building looks like circa March 2010. -- No major structural modifications as far as I can tell; However, the differently colored bricks show that the walls have been repaired over the years. The front lounge-style entrance is no longer in use. Entrance is now to the side.

(PS: A proper 'newbie' introduction is forthcoming. -BVT)

Pages: 1 1 replies