Name:Mishima's
Type:restaurant
Street:18515 S. Western Avenue
City:Gardena
State:CA
Zip:90248
Phone:329-6488

Description:
Mishima's in Gardena offered "Exotic drinks and exquisite cuisine from the fabulous islands of the Pacific."

I've never been able to learn much about Mishima's, but it's been near and dear to me because this menu was one of my very first tiki collectibles. I know that their logo has been discussed in the Shield Sign thread, but it would be fabulous to find out something about the restaurant itself.

It's seen better days, but I'm still awfully fond of it.

I've also got a couple of matchbooks.

I seem to remember a conversation many many years ago with the elders at Oceanic Arts where it was mentioned that this was another of Helen Yue's businesses...but I might be off.

Link to 18515 S Western Avenue, Gardena CA

According to Google Maps, that location is now the home of Mom's Donuts. (How appropriate, being that today is National Donut Day!) I would take a screenshot, but the fascist regime that is our IT department doesn't allow the tools to do so. From what I can tell on Google Street View though, it's believable that it was once a Polynesian themed place, although a little small.

BB

I checked the address using historicaerials.com and it looks like Mishima’s was a free standing restaurant at least until 1980, the next aerial shot they have is from 2003 and it’s gone by then.

I went to Mom’s Donuts this morning and Mishima's former address is now a Japanese style strip mall, I bought a donut and it was good. :)

On 2009-06-05 16:04, Jason Wickedly wrote:
Link to 18515 S Western Avenue, Gardena CA

According to Google Maps, that location is now the home of Mom's Donuts. (How appropriate, being that today is National Donut Day!) I would take a screenshot, but the fascist regime that is our IT department doesn't allow the tools to do so. From what I can tell on Google Street View though, it's believable that it was once a Polynesian themed place, although a little small.

Did Helen Yue own Mishimas? That was my all-time favorite restaurants, that and Helen Yue's on Rosecrans in Gardena as a child/teen.

Whatever became of Helen Yue? Does anyone know?

Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts would know.

Here are a few interesting facts about the famed Japanese author Mishima:

Mishima wrote 40 novels, 18 plays, 20 books of short stories, and at least 20 books of essays, one libretto, as well as one film. A large portion of this oeuvre comprises books written quickly for profit, but even if these are disregarded, a substantial body of work remains....

.... After briefly considering a marital alliance with Michiko Shōda—she later became the wife of Emperor Akihito—he married Yoko Sugiyama on June 11, 1958. The couple had two children....

....Although he visited gay bars in Japan, Mishima's sexual orientation remains a matter of debate, though his widow wanted that part of his life downplayed after his death.[7] However, several people have claimed to have had homosexual relationships with Mishima, including writer Jiro Fukushima who, in his book, published a revealing correspondence between himself and the famed novelist....

....With a prepared manifesto and banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'etat restoring the powers of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating them, however, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku.

How do I contact Bob and Leroy?

On 2009-11-20 07:34, bigbrotiki wrote:

Here are a few interesting facts about the famed Japanese author Mishima:

Mishima wrote 40 novels, 18 plays, 20 books of short stories, and at least 20 books of essays, one libretto, as well as one film. A large portion of this oeuvre comprises books written quickly for profit, but even if these are disregarded, a substantial body of work remains....

.... After briefly considering a marital alliance with Michiko Shôda—she later became the wife of Emperor Akihito—he married Yoko Sugiyama on June 11, 1958. The couple had two children....

....Although he visited gay bars in Japan, Mishima's sexual orientation remains a matter of debate, though his widow wanted that part of his life downplayed after his death.[7] However, several people have claimed to have had homosexual relationships with Mishima, including writer Jiro Fukushima who, in his book, published a revealing correspondence between himself and the famed novelist....

....With a prepared manifesto and banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'etat restoring the powers of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating them, however, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku.

On 2009-11-20 10:24, MishimasLover wrote:
How do I contact Bob and Leroy?

http://www.oceanicarts.net/

On 2009-11-20 07:34, bigbrotiki wrote:

They really would. I was just talking to Bob, and he mentioned some of the decor that they used at Yue's.

Oceanic Arts (562)698-6960

Here is a different Mishimas matchbook cover I found in my collection:

BB

From the Museum of Neon Art (MONA) Facebook page. :o

Holly neon sign!! That is absolutely awesome, nice find Boris!

DC

BB

I like the sign Tiki more than the logo Tiki.

H

What a fabulous sign Boris, awesome find.

K
kiara posted on Mon, Jul 9, 2012 11:31 AM

I'm going to have to do a lot of digging, but I have an old design book that credits Saul Bass as the creator of this Tiki. I've seen this guy in a few places, not just Mishimas. Dug Miller and I bought two masks from Mashimas years ago at a random flea market. I ended up with the wood one that hung inside and Dug got the reflective parking lot sign. They're both THE logo Tiki masks. Unfort I traded mine for something worth the trade years ago but Dug still has his. I'll post the pics when I eventually find them.

Yes please.

Yikes! That A-Frame looks a little scary.

Kiara,

I also am looking forward to seeing your photos.

DC

K

I've been looking since yesterday, but finally found the Mishima's parking sign. It's taken at an angle showing how it reflects light. This is the back of Dug's front door. You should see the rest of his house.:)

K

This is getting off of the subject, but here's another photo of Dug's. Just to the right of the previous photo.

K

I just saw this post. Here are some pictures of the other Mishimas tiki mask carving. This is the wood one that hung inside the Restaurant. A few years back this was part of a trade that Kiara and I made as he mentioned in a previous post. It is in the original condition. I had it displayed for many years in my tiki lounge (The Nauga Hydaway) but have recently shifted a few things around..as we all do..and it is not currently in situ. Also have the paper menu that has definately seen better days.

I recently acquired one of the Mishima's menus that Tiki Kate had posted.

The drinks on the back.

The before diner standards.

Tropicals.

I like these Oriental ones, including the Saketini and Sakehattan

After diner and beer.

DC

AF

Very nice DC, love the drink descriptions, especially the Fog Cutter!

H

Thanks for posting this. I was a regular at Mishima's all through the 1970s; I still miss the place. I have fond memories of the scorpions (well, a few nights I hardly remember at all :wink: ), of the soup--best pork broth in the world--and of the teriyaki steak and lobster combo plate, with which I celebrated many big days in my life back then. I was horribly dismayed when Mishima's closed. Being without it made moving away from the South Bay easier a few years later.

[ Edited by: HarryT 2015-08-26 14:46 ]

Pages: 1 23 replies