Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Leilani Hut, Belmont Shore (Long Beach), CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

L

On 2019-02-05 00:29, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
This photo was taken inside the Leilani. Don May, owner of LeiLani, standing at end of table while his family members are seated.

Photo from Keli P. May, daughter of Don May

Correction: Keli is my sister. We're Don's grandkids.

Don, our grandfather (1909-1996), has his arm around James, his father (1883-1971). Next to James is Prudence "Prudy", his mother (1880-1972). We knew them as "Granny and Gramps".

The person peeking out from behind the man with the glasses on the left is Don's brother "Bud" (Reginald) -- [my dad verified it]. Our "Uncle Bud" (1911-2011). His wife at the time to his left was Gwendolyn "Gwen" (1908-1960). His 2nd wife Alyce (married 1967) is still alive (and kicking) living near my dad in Chandler, AZ, she's 97.

Our late mother Betty Ann is in the lower left corner (1935-2013), and she's sitting next to Gladys, Don's wife (our grandmother) (1909-1976).

Our dad David (Don's son) is on the right of the photo wearing the striped tie. He's 83 and probably the last surviving member of this photo.

This was probably taken around our parents marriage in March 1959 since both Bud and Gwen were in town from Texas and she died in Aug 1960.

Our dad recalls the remaining people in the photo were friends visiting from Muncie, IN -- probably old school friends as both Don and Gladys were graduates of the Indiana Teachers College or as it's known now: Ball State University, or "Ball U" as he loved to call it. He was a "yell leader" for the football team and a musician (he was a pianist and band leader), my grandmother trained as a nurse.

[ Edited by: lohphat 2019-04-09 13:09 ]

OGR

lohphat, Awesome info...thanks so much for sharing. OGR

L

On 2019-01-08 22:06, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Newspaper Long Beach Independent feature from the mid 1960's including Leilani

I remember Kelly's (in Naples on 2nd Street) as a kid as it's logo had the "K" backwards and it really annoyed me as I considered it "broken".

They finally closed in 2013 and was vacant for several years. It's now "Chianina Steakhouse" https://goo.gl/maps/jg5Pwrup5CB2

L

On 2009-06-12 20:48, Dustycajun wrote:
Trav,

Thanks for posting those great napkins. Here is the other part of the Gay 90's matchbook. I'm thinking that Don May had some fun in the restaurant buiz.

DC

An interesting tidbit: The location of The Gay '90s was a former Japanese community schoolhouse.

The building was torn down decades ago after Don sold the Gay 90's in the late 60s or early 70s -- I remember being really young like 4-5 when I was there once when they were clearing it out after it was closed. We still have a few trinkets from the kitchen.

[ Edited by: lohphat 2019-04-09 13:23 ]

L

On 2009-08-02 00:43, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
That's outstanding. Looks like it was done by the same artist who painted the mural in the Zamboanga in Los Angeles:

Probably a local artist then. Wonder if that painting on the menu was actually a mural in the Leilani as well. The Leilani and Zamboanga were two of the many pre-tiki South Sea supper clubs in the Los Angeles area. I've always been a little curious about the change in name from "Leilani" to "Leilani Hut". Based on that last menu, it looks like it opened circa 1942 as the "Leilani" under the ownership of Al Britt. Then maybe later the ownership changed hands to Don May and the name was changed to the Leilani Hut.

I remember the Lelani's murals behind the bar used to have animated lights behind them which would simulate moving water of the falls and lagoon and campfires on the beach. I regret we didn't save more mementos.

The Leilani was sold in 1974 to Darlene Thornton and became "The Stockpot" becasue Don's wife Gladys (my grandmother) was in declining health; she died in 1976. Don later married Darlene in 1982; sadly she died of cancer in 1990. The Stockpot didn't last too long -- my memory of that period is fuzzy.

I'm not sure when John Morris bought the building and turned it into Legends.

L

On 2010-09-17 17:35, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
A frame - Love that article! Sorry I missed it earlier.

Here's a photo of the outside of the Leilani Hut from 1967. I really like the giant letters on the roof (even though they're a bit washed out in the photo). That's a real old-school South Seas Club facade.

"Posted prominently on the front of the Leilani is a sign saying "Muncie City Limits," proof that owner Don May - who hails from there - is still an eager booster of the Indiana city. The restaurant's decor is very unindiana - tropical in the mood of Hawaii and Tahiti. Lovely Koloa, an island girl, provides songs and ukelele music on Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm.

The Leilani is the oldest Cantonese restaurant in the Long Beach area. Chef Ray Lee, with the restaurant since its opening 30 years ago, suggests the Celestial Dinner (two for $11) with a long list of appetizers and a main course which includes diced breast of chicken, barbecued pork and fried rice. Teriyaki steak is delicious for $5.50. A la carte items start at $1.65. Complete menu of American dinners too, from $3.50.

We STILL have the Muncie sign!

Interesting note about Ray the chef: Some guys tried to jump him in the alley behind the Leilani one night because he used to carry a wad of cash -- remember the times as immigrants often didn't trust, or were unfairly treated, by the banks. Anyway, he grew up in China and knew enough kung-fu so that little 5'3" man laid waste to them. He was NEVER roughed up again.

He was a ladies man and loved his scotch. Always had the ladies come around and look him up.

The other chef whom we called "Billy Dee" (Hong Kay Dea was his real name) opened up his own restaurant in Gardena called the Jade Palace. We used to go there until he passed away in the mid '80s.

He was always indebted to Don as he was able to pull some strings to get Billy's family out of the PRC after the 1949 Chinese Revolution.

Billy was a very kind and funny man. I miss him still.

[ Edited by: lohphat 2019-04-09 13:35 ]

A dual ad for the Leilani Hut and the Gay 90s restaurants from 1961.

DC

L

I am SO glad the site is back up!

Update since what it seems is forever:

1. Aunt Alyce (Bud's 2nd wife) died at age 98 in Feb 2020 in Chandler, AZ of natural causes.
  2. Our dad David (Don's son) died from Covid in Chandler, AZ in Nov 2020 at the age of 85.
  3. We have many of the Alan Wood's orginal oils from "The Louvre in the Lav"
  4. Side note: Don inaugurated the "Floating Christmas Trees" in 1947 in Belmont Shore and are a tradition to this day.

Since dad died, I'm the keeper of all the old family photos. I'll post them as I come across relevant ones.

[ Edited by lohphat on 2022-07-19 16:19:57 ]

lohphat, I'm really sorry about your father. Our thoughts are with you.

Do you have any photos showing the Polynesian mural. I read in the newspaper it covered 3 walls. How big was it? Was it painted by Frank Bowers?

[ Edited by Jethro on 2022-08-01 05:55:30 ]

[ Edited by Jethro on 2022-08-01 05:57:38 ]

[ Edited by Jethro on 2022-08-01 12:23:48 ]

[ Edited by Jethro on 2022-08-01 12:32:01 ]

J

This is from the Independent Press Telegram Sun on April 25, 1954. It mentions the large mural covering 3 walls.

LeiLani Mural Independent_Press_Telegram_Sun__Apr_25__1954_

As I remember it, the mural went from behind the bar and around the main dining room.

After the Leilani was closed and became The Stockpot (owned by Darlene Thornton whom my grandfather later married) they kept the decor. After it closed some years later, I don't know if there was an interim owner before John Morris moved in to open Legends.

I wish we kept it and more of the artifacts other than the Alan Woods original oil paintings.

Since I was still not of driving age, I didn't go back to the location until the early 80s and by then it was Legends which opened in 1979.

http://www.legendssportsbar.com/about-legends-sports-bar/

Hi lohophat, Would this photo of Irish McCalla painting a mural be at Leilani? Do you know if the Leilani mural was painted by Frank Bowers? Do you have any additional photos showing the mural?

https://tikicentral.com/viewpost.php?post_id=801421

Here is the menu cover from Leilani. Was this image from the mural in the restaurant bar?

https://tikicentral.com/viewpost.php?post_id=592890

Thanks for all your info.

I can't remember -- that's the sad part, it was when I was less than 10 years old and the only person who might remember clearly, my dad, is now gone.

L

BTW, a company called m00nshot.com is reprinting the Leilani logo on clothing. I don't know where they got the artwork from but it's really good stuff. They did this without our involvement, so I don't have answers yet since I've reached out to them.

Leilani Hut - Belmont Shore, CA - Vintage Tiki Bar T-Shirt https://www.m00nshot.com/products/don-mays-leilani-hut-vintage-tiki-bar-t-shirt-long-beach-belmont-shore?_pos=4&_sid=ebe86dc44&_ss=r

Don May's Leilani Hut - Belmont Shore, CA - Vintage Tiki Bar T-Shirt https://www.m00nshot.com/products/leilani-hut-long-beach-california-vintage-tiki-bar-t-shirt?_pos=3&_sid=ebe86dc44&_ss=r

[ Edited by lohphat on 2022-08-04 09:49:52 ]

I've reached out to John Morris who opened Legends in 1979 -- he knew my grandfather.

I'll let you know what he knows.

[ Edited by lohphat on 2022-08-04 09:50:46 ]

L

PXL_20230206_194010254

I came across this last month going though my things in storage. They're early (probably late 50s) business cards for The Leilani Hut, and The Gay '90s. They're 1/3 the size of a standard business card.

Note the pre 1970s "exchange name" format of the telephone numbers. Here the prefix is "GE" (GEneva) but I know it as "HE" (HEmlock) as it was on later printings. I wonder when the name changed as both refer to the digits "43" so either would work for that central office in Belmont Shore at the time.

Old Telephone Exchange Names Los Angeles County https://www.laalmanac.com/communications/cm01e.php

[ Edited by lohphat on 2023-02-06 11:56:19 ]

Bumping this fascinating thread - lohphat, it seems several of the top Hawaiian musicians played at the Leilani, including Bennie Nawahi - would you happen to know if there are still recordings of some of the concerts that were performed there ? On 1/4 inch tape for instance ? That would be a fantastic source on Hawaiian music !

Pages: 1 2 64 replies