Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NYC-Dullsville

Pages: 1 9 replies

MC

Show Your Local Tiki Support at:

Dullsville 143 East 13th Street New York, NY 10003
212-505-2505

The owner says business is hurting with this crappy war. He's had this fantastic antique shop since 1985, isn't in a mood to close it now and start selling everything on ebay. He worships the BOT and has many mugs on display and hidden away. Just picked up a Mr. Bali Hai from the friendly guy.

Big Bro, he claims you've been by his place--is this true? How come TC-ers never hear when you're in town?

D

I was actually there yesterday and checked out his selection of Tiki mugs. Nice selection but too pricey and out of the budget at the moment. I've seen cool, good condition tiki mugs on Ebay that are going for at least $10 less at the final bid. I would love to go buy some stuff from Mr. Dullsville, but perhaps he could take the prices down a bit. Right now I'm more in the market for vintage Tiki postcards...more likely to be priced for the budget. I didn't see any cool ones at Dullsville. I did however pick up a nice 'Polynesian Room-Yankee Clipper Hotel, Ft. Lauderdale' from like the '60s down at White Trash (5th St. between 1 & 2) for a mere 50 cents and a nice find indeed. :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-04-07 13:34 ]

T
thejab posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2003 1:58 PM

On 2003-04-07 13:31, donhonyc wrote:
I did however pick up a nice 'Polynesian Room-Yankee Clipper Hotel, Ft. Lauderdale'

Any chance you could scan that one and post it? I would love to see it. The Wreck Bar in the same hotel is still there but the Polynesian Room is not.

D

Hey Jab-

Yeah I'll post that soon. I grew up in Ft. Laud and been to the wreck bar as well. Pretty cool, although not as vintage and looked like it was probably re-modeled/renovated in the 70s or 80s if I recall correctly. One of the few places that has a view of the pool through windows behind the bar!!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-04-07 14:14 ]

MC

yeah--the prices aren't anything to write home about, but Dullsville gives the person to person experience which ebay lacks. I couldn't afford anything the first few times I came to "visit" the mugs, but eventually he lowered the prices for me.

does White Trash have other tiki stuff, mugs?

[ Edited by: manic cat on 2003-04-07 15:34 ]

I love that store too! I have many mugs and lots of

other stuff too from them. They specialize in what
I would call "Tourist Americana", souvenir plates,
salt and pepper, mini-monuments, Postcards....In
addition they have the best vintage Xmas stuff I
have ever scene.

I think it's time to go over there and buy a bunch
of stuff to support them.

D

Manic-on my last visit to White Trash I didn't see any tiki stuff, I also noticed that they had kinda downscaled their merchandise. I hadn't been there in a long while and noticed that they had gone from selling alot of vintage dishware and nick-nacks to just selling mostly vintage furniture. They did have some vintage cocktail shakers and that kinda thing. they also had a couple of bins of postcards but only one tiki one in the whole bunch. I was kinda thinkin they would have more. Probably worth checkin back in there in a couple of months. :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-04-08 01:06 ]

MC

thanks for the info. I love your little green tiki icon, by the way.

On 2003-04-07 13:09, manic cat wrote:

Dullsville 143 East 13th Street New York, NY 10003 212-505-2505

The owner says business is hurting with this crappy war......just picked up a Mr. Bali Hai from the friendly guy.

Big Bro, he claims you've been by his place--is this true? How come TC-ers never hear when you're in town?

Errr- the last time I was in New York was in 1994 when I was shooting pick ups for "Doppelgaenger" with Drew Barrymore...and I think I only went to Radio Hula then.
Must have mistaken me for someone else...or is he one of those dealers that claims anything Tiki they sell as hailing from "The Luau in Beverly Hills!" (or insert for NY: "The Hawaii Kai!")

MC

I can believe that the owner has his stories honestly mixed up. I guess that the guy is in his mid-60s and I assume smoked plenty of weed in his time. (He told me not to drop Mr. Bali Hai when I take it home and smoke a joint.) He admits that he gets confused with people too.

Pages: 1 9 replies