Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

gettin' stoopid..

P

and DH, he's gonna be sanded & finished with a little torchin' to bring the grain up & color out, and a few coats of poly. 8)

D

Damn, that's sweet. Looking forward to the end result...

N

Looks Great Soul Surf. Hope all is well Hope to hang out next year

P

P

almost done.. it'll get torched and maybe poly'ed tomorrow..

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2015 7:44 PM

He's full o' personality pjc, nice!

P

well ok, this one is done.,. we cut about a foot and a half off the base so he is about 7 ft now...

anyway, on to the next,...

N

Awesome Soul Surf!

P

Wow, I post one of my best pieces in the past 5 years and I get one response?

Fuck it., I'm out...

D
domin posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2015 7:29 PM

really like the carve on that one. what wood? i like the way the grain swirls inside the mouth. like the previous 2 marqs as well havent scanned back any further yet than the last page but im about to to see what ive missed.

N

Keep comming Back Jeff. I appricaite your hard work and I am happy that you post your stuff on here, Thats why I keep comming Back. I did not get a response on my Tiki Luge, I have never seen any body carve something out of wood where you can pour shots through it. I thought I was going to get a standing Ovasion on my brilliant creative interactive tiki. LOL but nothing so what do I do Keep it moving and keep comming back. I have come along way since I have been here so I am not going to stop now at least not today, Your work Is Hard! Keep them comming.

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-01-09 15:24 ]

D
DHTiki posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2015 8:04 AM

I love that thing. The gouge marks (not sure what else to call them) all over totally sell it - that must take a lot of time and patience. It's on my list of things to figure out how to do and practice.

I know what you mean about the comments. They seem to ebb and flow - sometimes when I post something I get several comments, sometimes nothing. I'll think "good grief, 200 people have viewed it since yesterday and nobody said anything." But, in the grand scheme of things I'm not doing this for other people, I'm doing it for me and I know I like my stuff. Well, most of it.

Keep posting, man. I, for one, learn a ton from your stuff. Even though you try to bankrupt me with each new toy you get! Chainsaw, jawhorse, etc., etc...

WC

Ah, Don't cry.
When I said that's a beast I meant you.

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2015 9:27 PM

Yeah Jeff, no sense punishing those of us that do comment every now and then. Geez.

Nice work mate, looks like a pretty sweet yard

H

Your last piece is amazing, great job.

I like the "rough" finish! Great!

N

We want Jeff! We Want Jeff! We want Jeff!We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff!We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff! We want Jeff!

Ok its Official I am A Idiot!

Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot Laz is a Idiot

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-03-13 19:26 ]

On 2015-01-08 18:02, pjc5150 wrote:

Fuck it., I'm out...

If it's self validation you're looking for then I have to question why bother posting at all?
if you don't do it for yourself, what is the point?

I only say this because you do good work & I admire your hit & run carving
but if this is solely ego driven, your only going to find disappointment.

You should asked yourself, why do you do it?
as it would be ashamed to waste obvious talent.

I am just giving you the straight truth.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-03-14 01:49 ]

N

WoW! Atomic tiki PUNK!

You through me off on that one, all my post are ego driven thats the nature of being human, It feels good to get Validation thats why I seek it, why else would i be on Tiki Central, I am a attention seeker,And when I do get validation its the catylist that pushes me to continue doing my best, I must sorround my self with people that incorage pat me on the back because in return i do the same, We as humans are not perfect and we have alot of flaws.
I have learn to allow people to be human, I posted that because I have been seing some real awesome work that he has been doing, I was considering posting it but I thought that might have been going off boundries,, I have learn that if i can not be uplifting then I need to just keep my negative view poits to my self,

Please do not misunderstand me you are right! its your veiw point and that is right for you, and I agree with you,
But my glass is always half full not half empty

Have a nice Day

I came here expecting new stuff.
But yet not.

When all you get is "Positive Reinforcement" you are most likely to become a praise junkie
this leads to a sense of entitlement, then to varying degrees of depression when a person does not receive
more praise, this is not a positive or healthy state.

It is not a healthy motivation as it only provides a false sense of accomplishment
which is only fleeting.

N

very well put! Not only am i learning how to carve but learning about my self, here on tiki central, well I guess that something I need to look at , I belive that balance is key, I do agree with your comment, and i am always open minded to see other people veiws thank you.

but like i mentioned before I m a idiot trying to get better one day at a time lol

:)

T

I totally get where Jeff is coming from on this one.

All art types want to hear positive feedback, I don't care what anybody says.
It's part of why we do it.

But here on TC it's a dicey game.
It helps to know the folks that give you feedback.
And the people who get the most hits or feedback WORK at it, hard.
They answer EVERY comment from every person, some give prizes to people who go to
their thread.
And they go to others threads and post on those threads, this gets those people
to hit you back so to speak.
DAM some of them even vacation together.
Not saying this is wrong just a few ways it's done.

I don't really work the social game that hard, if at all.

But you work hard at your art because you like doing it and to get some form of recognition
but time after time it's mostly the same people that end up in a certain book or
other publication and it kinda gets old.

I don't post for TC folks mostly as that is a clique you can never bust up, but OTHERS
outside of TC see my work via the net and come here to see it.
And heck once the friends of and cliques are dead and gone it's your art that will be judged.

You do great work Jeff and I have looked at it often but never posted and maybe should have,
but hey try being a light maker you get way more posts than I do.
The carvers for the most part are a tight group.

Sour grapes?
Sure it is kind of, but then it's always the people with fresh new grapes that wonder
why others are not ok with the crappy old grapes they did not want.

Good luck!
Keep carving.

Jeff has many bigger problems than feedback on an online forum right now. I honestly wish him well, and hope he gets his stuff taken care of.

Fuck it., I'm out...

Sorry to hear that.
This post is what I was talking about and led me to think it was the problem.

Wish you well Jeff.

Boy I sure did start some Drama LOL. listen Jeff is kicking ass! I stay close to him because he is one of my Heros, Their alot of more skilled carvers on Tiki Central then Jeff, But when i looked at their page thier first page they where already carving before they Got on tiki Central , Has anybody even seen Jeffs first tiki my grandma could of done a better job, but he did not give up. he kept carving and carving and carving and having fun with this thing and if you look through his post he has excelled to be one of the best carvers in Florida he has built a name for himself
Thats why he is my hero , I went to visit him from Orlando and he has Always welcomed me And he gives me tips on wood and carvings and tools and how to market. Its easy to look at the bad in people if thats what your looking for you will find it, So on jeffs behalf He has been doing some great work he has still been incouraging people , and making alot of people happy with his art, we all have bad days nobody is perfect,

thanks for letting me share, I just keep carving One Day at a time just like Jeff has set that example for me,

P

really Laz?

ok, I stopped posting here because there seemed to be a lack of interest in what I was doing and I'm not wasting my time or someone else's bandwidth if that is the case,.

has nothing to do with my fucking "ego", atomic tiki punk... you know, you seem to have an opinion on everything around here, but you don't know me or anything about me.. so why don't you keep your uninformed opinions about me or what I should be doing or thinking about to yourself. this is a carvers forum... do you carve? never seen any of your stuff...

On 2015-03-16 13:15, pjc5150 wrote:
really Laz?

ok, I stopped posting here because there seemed to be a lack of interest in what I was doing and I'm not wasting my time or someone else's bandwidth if that is the case,.

has nothing to do with my fucking "ego", atomic tiki punk... you know, you seem to have an opinion on everything around here, but you don't know me or anything about me.. so why don't you keep your uninformed opinions about me or what I should be doing or thinking about to yourself. this is a carvers forum... do you carve? never seen any of your stuff...

You seem to be having some issues, I really don't know what your reasoning or motivation is
and I only have your last post to go off of, But don't give me the "you're the guy with the opinions" line
when you have clearly posted your opinions elsewhere on Tiki Central, That just makes you a hypocrite, doesn't it.

So here is what you should do, go back to carving, your good at it, but stop your whining
about getting comments on your work, that's just childish.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-03-16 13:50 ]

N

I am childish very childish do you see me on the log prettending i was surfing artist are kids at heart but I have not seen any of your art! so maybe thats why your so grown up lol. lets be nice Costa Misery thats what it says your from Costa MISERY I feel that I have brought a negetive vibe to the forum I started this with being Childish if you want to call somebody childish please blame me , Jeff was minding his own buinsees and I started something that I should not have Please forgive me

Nicework, I have no idea what your going on about, actually you seem to just be rambling
but I was not talking to or referring to you in any way.

P

whining? nobody is whining.. you don't fucking know me and you're way out of line...

once again, do you even carve? because if not, nobody here gives a shit what you think...

This isn't about carving, I have complemented you on your work
but when you say this:

Fuck it., I'm out...

How do you expect people to react to it, I am taking it at face value
and it is childish, no way around it, that's what you are being.

If you're going to post on the internet, learn to deal with indifference, for fucks sake, act like an adult
instead of a child pitching a fit because you're not getting enough attention.

As for your work, I said your good, I have complemented you in the past, no one has questioned that.
I only responded to this remark of yours above & nothing else.

I made my point & will not provoke you more, go ahead and scream at me if you like
I will do you the service of staying out of your thread from now on, good luck with your work in the future.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-03-16 20:44 ]

EJ

On 2015-03-16 20:24, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

If you're going to post on the internet, learn to deal with indifference, for fucks sake, act like an adult
instead of a child pitching a fit because you're not getting enough attention.

This is hilarious coming from you. You really don't have a clue do you? By the way.........stop whining.

N

Oh my thank God this shit is finally comming to a end lol I started this whole thing I appoligize to every one especially Jeff,

EJ

On 2015-03-16 20:54, nicework wrote:
Oh my thank God this shit is finally comming to a end lol I started this whole thing I appoligize to every one especially Jeff,

You don't need to apologize. One person here needs to learn some manners and know when to keep his mouth shut and not hoist his opinion on every single thread.

EJ

Hey ATP if you have something to say to me say it here and don't ever PM me again:

"You don't need to apologize. One person here needs to learn some manners and know when to keep his mouth shut and not hoist his opinion on every single thread."

And that person would be you, no one asked you to get involved, frankly it's none of your business!

Hey dipshit why don't you take your own advice?

P

fuck off ATP...

no one asked you...

P

I love trucks

G

Postscript to this thread I guess,

I commissioned Jeff back in August of 2014 to make a small tiki for me. It took a while. There were a lot of texts, and a lot of excuses. He went on his guerilla tiki tour and all that good stuff, then finally got around to starting on one. He sent pics, I didn't like it. Jeff swore up and down that he was going to send my money back, lots of drama, lots of excuses, then, had his blowout on this thread, and quit showing up here, and quit texting me. After months of back and forth and excuses, that's where it stands. His Facebook feed has been cruising along the whole time, so he's still doing his thing, and still has my money. It's not worth small claims or anything, especially because he's so far from me. In the end, it happens when buying stuff over the internet. All you can do is make sure to use Paypal or have some other recourse with people you don't know.

Well I understand your fustration, its pretty much old news and it seems that you are still holding on to being screwed, In situations like this when i get screwed by people intentialy or unitentionaly, I have to think to my self how many people i have screwed in my life. When i am able to see that it helps me get a better perspective on things. My bike got stolen , ok how many bikes have i stold . this guy is being a asshole how many time have i been a asshole , this guy ripped me off how many times i have ripped people off, so on and so on. I need alot of forgiveness for my not so perfect actions so I am not going to condemm people for some thing i have done to so much more, This helps me let go of harboured anger and reliving the anger over and over, I am most effective and creative as a Artist when i am free of such things, I use to let people live in my mind rent free, today Their is no vacancy for people,, Hope you find some peace and have a wonderful day!

I agree with you. It's also important though, in a small community like this, to let everyone know when people rip you off, so they can avoid getting burned as well. I said it before: no ill will against the guy personally. Karma will take care of it.

D

FWIW, he's quite active on Instagram - you might want to try contacting him there...I think his handle is @surfsoultiki...

On 2015-12-11 08:26, DHTiki wrote:
FWIW, he's quite active on Instagram - you might want to try contacting him there...I think his handle is @surfsoultiki...

Thanks for the thought, but if months of back and forth through phone and text ended with nothing, Instagram won't make a difference. Contact isn't the issue. The issue is that he decided to walk with my money. After this amount of time, that's how he's decided to handle business, so the community should know about it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies