Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

extra credit!

so now I need to get on those rear/side posts....

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-07-26 11:25 ]

P

and Nixxon, I just noticed your question about the girl paintings in the toolbox photo, and the answer is NO. I don't paint. Those were done by the crazy Hungarian painter chick that was my girlfriend for awhile....she left those behind when we split up.

They're getting consigned to the bicycle/junk room here soon because new chicks see 'em and think I'm still into her, and I can't have that. Apparently my cleaning lady likes 'em because she keeps putting them out whenever she cleans. I don't have a lot of art on the walls...

M

He said; "Cleaning Lady"

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2012 8:19 AM

Great work Jeff!

P

thanks Cy.

I gotta get motivated & get these damned commissioned pieces started!

P

so I was watching a video with a bunch of historic pics of tampa, and this popped up so I took a pic with my cellphone...

The old Hawaiian Village....soon to be a car lot...

P

what I made today....

and I got my friend Kristina helping drawing some stuff out. she may actually be my new roommate which will be awesome because we get along pretty good & she draws way better than I do....

P

I made another mask today, and I'm really stoked on this one. I think it's one of the best ones so far.

I really love cedar, and all the stuff going on with it....the colors, the wormhole patterns on the surface just under the bark, the smell....it's just stunning wood. Sand it up and rub some poly on it and wow, it just explodes....

P

started a new one today (the one I had Kristina drawing out for me).

A Hawaiian Ku for a nice guy named DJ and his family. This one's gonna be an outside pool area piece and will be seriously exposed to the weather, so I'm doing this one in cypress...

Dude
Awesome page
Sweeeeet

P

okee dokee, a face begins to emerge...

the cypress has great grain...I dig it...

N

Really like that mask bro...looking good.

How is that Jawhorse working out? I saw one the other day and wondered if it was worth the money.

P

yeah, I actually like the jawhorse.

It wasn't cheap, but it's thick & well made, and seems like it'll last forever. I like the little foot pedal adjuster thingy...

P

more new toys!

Last 2 times I visited Benz he showed me these and recommended them.

So now I got 'em....sandpaper mops! 100, 120, 150, 180, and 220....

Sanding just got easier!

On 2012-07-28 16:30, pjc5150 wrote:
what I made today....

This is great! Is that the heartwood? (the pink stuff)

P

yeah, it's red cedar. The outer inch is white, and the inside is a purple-ish read.

It's pretty stuff for sure...

P

here is a piece right after I peeled the bark off & sprayed it off with the hose.

I love the little worm patterns under the bark. Almost like nature's little tattoos....

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-03 14:45 ]

P

sunken log recovery on the HO BOAT....

that thing is heavy as f'n lead...

P

Rough cut headdress on the cypress ku.

I kinda like this cypress. Much more used friendly than I expected actually.

AND...the suspense was killing me so I put a v-cut chisel to a chunk of one of the sunken logs, because I've been worried that if they're too hardened they might not carve well, but a flexcut V went through it like butter...not too easy that it seemed rotted, but definitely good and carve-able. And wow, the colors are pretty interesting to say the least...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-04 16:21 ]

T

Very skillfully done! Extra bonus for incorporating the worm damage!

P

a little more work on the cypress ku...

a few more details and it'll get sanded (with my new sandpaper mops) and then poly'ed....

P

ok, here we go.

production time....I shaved some logs today. I will start drawing and cutting tomorrow.

You're going to take Buzzy's crown as the human Tiki machine mate! How do you find the time... and the energy???

P

lol...I'm about to crank it up like 3 notches here over the next few weeks....

on a side note, WOW...the Russian & Brazilian women's volleyball teams are playing each other and holy crap they're hot!!!

damn....

P

ok, production mode!

5 tikis drawn & ready for cuttin'....

N
NIxxon posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2012 1:43 PM

Dude you really are a machine! Awesome work on the cypress too. Lookin good as always. Keep it up!

P

tiki teeth!

cut these in last night. this one's almost done..

P

a little production work...

P

he's cheeky! he's chubby! he's chainsawed!

Man u are like the flash................

FAST............

P

a few mouth detail lines...

now I need to put the inlays in the eyes and start the sand & poly process...

M

Nice tikis.....so you are gonna start putting jewelry on them?

Can't wait to see this lineup done. You are the energizer chainsaw wielding bunny !

Mahalo

McTiki

M

Nice tikis.....so you are gonna start putting jewelry on them?

Can't wait to see this lineup done. You are the energizer chainsaw wielding bunny !

Mahalo

McTiki

P

jewelry you say?

do these lovely black glass eye inlays qualify?

P

ok. the face is pretty much done. I'm gonna cut those face tat lines in a little deeper, and then sand & poly it tomorrow.

P

ok. it's 1:50am and the face is pretty much done. I'm gonna cut those face tat lines in a little deeper, and then sand & poly it tomorrow.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-10 22:52 ]

M

Those black eyes are going to look killer Jeff!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

sanded, poly'ed, and done!

P

and back to the fir trader...

carving little waves on the posts...

P

I am getting stuff done today!

M

Your'e indoors! No freakin fair...... that's it...Imma loose about 7 ibs tomorrow...

Keep it coming !

Stay Tiki

Mahalo

McTiki

M

[ Edited by: McTiki 2012-08-11 17:51 ]

P

ok...I finished one one of the 2 back posts on the fir trader....

I am really stoked on this piece...

P

NO REST

for the wicked...

after spending a bunch of time with the chisels yesterday, I woke up this morning longing for the stench, mess, noise and violence of the chainsaw...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-12 10:18 ]

P

Spikey headdress on the chubster...

P

what I did today...

M

Now that's a freakin Tiki Brah! That is the $hit!

Mahaloz

McTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies