Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

Holy crap my man
This entire page ROCKS................

Wow

On 2012-08-11 21:22, pjc5150 wrote:

I am really stoked on this piece...

mate, you should be! These are brilliant, you're developing a signature there with the headdresses...

P

thanks guys.

here's a little updated shot...

P

back that tiki ass up! what?!

sorry, no butt. just more spikey stuff....

T

On 2012-08-13 13:53, pjc5150 wrote:
back that tiki ass up! what?!

sorry, no butt. just more spikey stuff....

Whoa! COOL. Damn, gettin all crazy with the spikes! Gonna be awesome.

P

Hey Mike, package received.

Mahalo brother. If you ever find yourself in Tampa, I've got a leather sofa for you to sleep on.

P

so yeah, I have little live carving gig once a week at a little pub here in town call YEOMAN's ROAD. I've been calling it "tiki tuesday". I pretty much bring whatever tiki I happen to be working on at the time, and a few others, and just kinda hang out & work on stuff. I've sort of been doing it for a few months now so people kinda know I'm there on Tuesdays. I actually get a few people down there, and several people have said to me that between the tiki carving deal earlier, and then the open mic night later, Tuesday night has become the best night of the week to hang out there. And I actually meet some fairly interesting women as well (last night was no exception...met a girl who works for Camel cigarettes, she basically goes around giving people cigarettes. she hung out with us for awhile...and wow, she was NOT hard to look at...and she just texted me, so I think I'm in).

Anyway, here are a few pics from last night. I put some fishhooks on the chubby lono's nose. And Kristina drew out a little tiki on a small section I cut from the sunken tree, so this will be the first "sunken log tiki". I'm really stoked about cutting into it....

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-15 12:20 ]

M

Good lookin carves for sure. I wish you lived on the right coast...we could get some good sessions in (carving wood and water)

Where the hell is the chainsaw driftwood panel?

Have your pretty assistant sketch one up for you...

Mahalo

McTiki

P

yeah, I spoke to her about it last night...

and then the uber hot cigarette girl I met last night came by today and I gave her the piece of driftwood I was gonna use so she could make kitchen shelf with it.

Oh well! Looks like I need to take the HO BOAT out driftwood hunting this weekend...

anyway, started the last headdress post on the "fir trader" lono...and that knot was NOT easy to chisel without it breaking, but it seems to have worked out...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-15 15:56 ]

M

Lookin good!

A hint from my experience with knotwoods....

A gnar burr (3/4" course ball or cone) is like a Honey Badger with no collateral damage. 1/4" drive though! Then return to the Chisels and finish.

Then you can start practicing flat work...

Aloha!

McTiki

P

okee dokee...

3rd post done!

at this point I need to just finish the back of the head, figure out what I may do to decorate the body a little, and then sand it up & poly it.

On 2012-08-15 15:43, pjc5150 wrote:

and then the uber hot cigarette girl I met last night came by today and I gave her the piece of driftwood I was gonna use so she could make kitchen shelf with it.

She's supposed to* give* you wood, not the other way round... ;]

The new Tikis look great!

Fish hooks.
Clever, very clever.

P

fail!

so I cut into the first piece of sunken log, and though I know it isn't all like this, the first spot I cut into was a big rot spot!

back to the drawing board....lol...

P

the chubster...or as everyone else calls him, "PINEAPPLE HEAD"....

V
Vipon posted on Fri, Aug 17, 2012 9:32 PM

New guy here from St. Augustine, I picked your pages to read cause I thought "cool a guy from Florida" I started reading last night and tonight, and 78 pages later I'm blown away.

Its kinda strange reading about 3 years of a mans life and never even have met him. The progress you have made from that first carve to now is amazing. I'm new to this and only hope 3 years from now I will be half as far as you.

Whats cool is the back story to all of this. Most of the people have been following along day to day for 3 years and look forward to each post and picture you put up day to day.

I read it all in 2 days so its fresh in my mind.

The ups and downs along the way is what makes your story great. The joy you had when someone actually wanted to buy one of your tikis. Loosing a couple of girls along the way only to get excited cause you just met another one. Not being able to go to Costa Rica, but super stoked when a rich German wanted your art in his super rich yard. And all along,,,,,, at least 30% of your pictures your dog is there day in and day out only wanting to hang out with you.

This is basically nothing that each one of us has not gone through. The circumstances may be different, but the story is the same.

Life is awesome, thanks for putting yours out there for us to ride along with.

My parents live in Tarpon Springs, when I get down there, the beer is on me.

Vipon (Levi)

P

wow man...that was a lot of reading!

thanks for the kind words Levi. it's been a crazy couple of years for sure...

and yeah, whenever you're over here on this coast gimme a holler & we'll have a few cold ones & talk tiki...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-18 14:03 ]

P

did a little detail stuff on the moai I made a week ago...

B

Excellent looking stuff Jeff, Loving the Fir trader.

P

thank you Benz.

when you gave me that piece I went home thinking to myself "wow....I gotta do something special with that one."

thanks again....and you were right, it carves super nice...

so anyway, there's a local exotica group here called the "stolen idols" and they're all about the tikis, and they asked me to come to one of their shows and bring some pieces...

so here's a shot from their gig Saturday at the Palladium Side Door in downtown St Pete....you can see a couple off my tikis at the front of the stage...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-20 08:58 ]

P

speaking of the fir trader,

I'm back to his headdress...trying to tie the whole thing together....as you can see in the first pic, the front/right post is kinda rough, and the one on the left is a little more "cleaned up" and flows a little better.

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2012 5:07 PM

That looks like a fun Saturday pjc, and your work keeps getting better!

M

I especiaaly like the Gams placed artfully in the second pic! Nice work!

Mahaloz

McTiki

A
amate posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2012 4:11 PM

Love the fish hooks...very cool!

P

so, it's a rainy day & I'm working on the fir trader out on the front porch enjoying the storm. But instead of posting the micro-progress of a piece I've shown you 20 times already, I'd like to share some other people's stuff that I'm stoked on and inspired by...

first off, today I received a package from the LAND DOWN UNDA!!!

Where women GLOW and me PLUNDA!!!

Campbell, thanks brother... I will wear it with pride..

Next up is a piece of PURE AWESOMENESS....this is a surfboard shaped by Jed Noll (yes, the son of legendary big wave surfer GREG "da bull" Noll) and painted by Rich Reitveld. I think this may be the coolest damned thing I've ever seen...

and last but not least, this is a picture of a tiki my buddy Karloz in Belgium has been carving out of oak. I have told him on several occasions that he needs to join up and be a part of our discussion, and he actually slipped and told me he didn't think his stuff was good enough, which is complete and utter horse shit. Despite not having his permission I am posting this up because I think it's his best tiki so far. He obviously one of us and belongs here. Don't you agree?

M

Great post Jeff !

Knoll? Awesome find!

Karlos should definately join up!

Mahalos to Watango !! We know his work well!

Aloha spirit here...

McTiki

Kool stuff Jeff that headress is look'n great and glad you dig the shirt Bro.

P

ok, clearing bikes out today!

first off, a 65 Western Flyer I traded some tiki stuff for & restored for a friend of mine....done in sparkly candy apple red metalflake...

a bike I picked up & had done for my mom, 72 Raleigh sport 3 spd...

and one that I'm getting together for a nice girl I know who lost her drivers license and needs a waty to get around. also a 72 Raleigh 3 spd, this one's a "colt"...

I like old bikes. Now back to your regularly scheduled program....I'll post some tiki update pics later...

P

ok, back on topic...

more "waves" on the fir trader's headdress...these on the front post, so it kinda matches up with the 2 side rear posts...

P

1:00am...

B

Fir Trader is Getting pretty Slick, can't wait to see it done!
Oh yeah, Karloz should Definitely be here on TC!

P

HURRICANE PARTY AT MY HOUSE!!!

hope you Florida guys are keeping your heads down...

P

eh, Isaac barely affected us...and there are couple of storms churning in the Atlantic, so the waves on the east side should be epic by tuesday or wednesday...

I've been kinda slow with work this week but I'm cutting down a big dead palm on sunday so I'll have some stuff to play with...I ran out of material this week and it's been frustrating...

M

Sooooo where's the panel your'e workin on?

Surfy on Mon evening & Tuesday is the call!

Mahalo

McTiki

N

Great looking stuff as always...and that surfboard is out-of-this-world cool!!

P

yeah Andy I've been super lazy this week and didn't get anything done...

and Nixxy? where the hell have you been hidin' out bro??? get yer head back in the game son!

So yeah, I gotta get back on top of things this week....Lately I've been getting commissions for tikis from a completely different sector that I never really expected and I kinda feel like I may have stumbled over a gold mine. I'm looking at all this and I'm kinda getting geared up to pursue this little "niche" in the tiki biz that may just become my "bread and butter" production gig here soon...which is awesome because I really, really, really just want to sell tikis and not get a real job.

but yeah Andy, I'll be heading out there by tues or weds....I think it's gonna be reeeeaaaally good this week...not too big of a system so the waves won't be like, monstrous or anything....probably a few feet overhead, glassy, etc...and the sandbars aren't all troughed out from big swells...so yeah, I'll be there...

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Sep 1, 2012 8:37 AM

lol...ive been hiding out on my couch because I had another surgery. Still in the healing process but Ill be back carving soon. hopefully :)

Its gona be killer out on the east coast without a doubt...pretty sure I cant go surfing yet but I may take a trip out just to relax and watch. Let me know where you're going and possibly we can meet up...you to McTiki!! Have a great weekend everybody.

P

doh! surgery? what the hell?

well I'm glad you're recovering brother...hope everything is ok...

I'll give you a shout in a few days...

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Sep 1, 2012 8:59 AM

lol...sounds good

P

so I really like this little "jawhorse" I bought.

Has a locking foot operated vice to hold things in place. Works great..

P

well, since I have so many hours into this damned thing I figure I might as well keep on it & try to make it my "masterpiece for now"...

so I am going back over the whole thing and "tool-marking" it...

I seriously need help...

P

ok, after a frustrating week of getting nothing done because I had no material, I'm back in business..

N

Score!!

A
amate posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2012 10:53 AM

On 2012-09-01 12:47, pjc5150 wrote:

I am going back over the whole thing and "tool-marking" it...

Go for it man!!! that is going to be killer!
Thanks for the tip on the jaw horse. I've been eyeing those for some time now.

P

yeah it works great for tiki-ing. AND, it's quite thick and heavy, which sucks if you want to carry it around a lot like I do, but it's awesome for keeping things nice and still & secure with a very heavy log squeezed in there. It has like a 400 or 500 lb capacity.

It'a a solid unit, I'm glad I bought it, and I'd definitely recommend it.

NIce score. When it rains it pours - I'll bet you find more soon.

That latest piece should look sick covered in tool marks!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies