Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

yeah, the mermaid is an experiment. I'm keeping my expectations low. I've never carved a woman before....hopefully she's not too ugly and freakish looking. lol...

P

finished the little redfish tiki for my buddy, and almost done with the other one too. I'll chisel on him at the bar a bit this evening, stain him tomorrow, and get on top of those others I roughed out...

P

ok, maybe I went a little overboard on the v-cuts...

P

ok so yesterday after kinda finishing this one I tripped and fell down the front steps of my house while carrying it, it went flying, and I broke the base, a foot, part of the nose off, and several of the spikey points as well.

Here he is with the base cut off, and the rest glued back together. Looks like this one will probably be around for awhile.

I had a little too much to drink & now I feel like a total dumb ass....

N

Nothing wrong with drinking :) sounds like we need to hang out...still looks great brother. Keep up the good work

P

ok, I have successfully put humpty dumpty back together again. wedged the rear, and screwed him to a base so he'd stand up straight.

and SON OF PINEAPPLE HEAD! is getting closer...

P

oh yeah, here's a rough outside piece I did like 2 years ago, and I'm stoked that he has stuff growing on his face...

4wd Bill said best: "chia tiki!"

N

Nice! Hes now the "OLD and WISE" Tiki, becoming one with the environment.

P

well these 2 are destined for the Jacksonville Home Show happening over the next few days...

C
cy posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2012 3:35 PM

They look great Jeff, especially liking the colors. Load these first BEFORE drinking.

K

some very rad tikis.

P

so this morning I woke up and decided this guy needed a few face tats...

and next up on the bench...

N

Hot dman! Do you wake up with your chainsaw in your hand?? I swear you're the hardest working guy on here.

P

gettin' r done!

P

enjoying 2 of my favorite things on this lovely sunday...

carving tikis and drinking Laphroaig...

N

oh damn. that's a good bottle of Scotch ya got there brother. a good friend of mine swears that's the only liquid worth drinking.

glad you're enjoying the day

Sounds like a great way to spend ones Sundee. Kool stuff Jeff !

P

ok, kinda done cuttin' on this one...

I'll clean it up & stain it tomorrow.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2012 6:19 PM

Animal! You crank em out bro. They all rock Surf Soul! Your style!

Single Malt is the Hizz!

Any panel work on the horizon?

Lol

Mahalo

McTiki

P

funny you should mention that...

I had Kristina draw one out on a thin piece of cedar.

Kind of a trial run firstie on a piece that was already cut & laying around that I sanded and made a make-shift cutting board when my buddy brought over a big-ass redfish he caught so we could cut it up and blacken it...

but yeah here's a pic of what my sitting area looked like when I finished cutting that tiki today...lol...

P

well maybe I'm not done after all...

I really like this one and have decided to detail it some more.

WC

It's all lookin good but your arms,chest
& hands body parts are coming together much better.

P

thanks Will.

in my world yours & Benz's opinions carry a huge amount of weight, so that makes me feel good.

I'll probably be down either next week or the week after. I'll call you & let you know.

P

SCORE!!!

2 nice chunks of cedar that my landscaping buddy cut at a job.

I was also offered some hickory last night, so I'm hoping to collect that today as well. And tomorrow I'm headed out to the sawmill tomorrow to buy a whole entire load of cypress logs. I'm getting into the wedding business.....stay tuned....

One mans trash...

P

prepare to be jealous!

this is the SURF SOUL CRUISER..

built by my buddy Joe Cav at Low Tide Customs...

painted in "house of kolor" pagan gold flake...

and yes, that is a tiki on the head tube / badge area with flames of the same color....

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2012 1:11 PM

That is siiiick...your buddy does nice work.

Now you need a tow behind to put your Tiki's on, cruise up and down the beach selling Tiki's!!

P

thanks bro..

and this one is done!

you've taken it to another level PJ! he's got points on his points ;]

P

thanks bro...I'm pretty stoked on the "pineapple heads"...lol..

ok! cypress overload!!!

I'm about to get started on a couple of serious wedding arbors...first up will be a dolphin / fish swirl, second will be a tiki arbor, and then I might piece one together with driftwood.

All part of my big push for wedding and special event business. I am doing this!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-10-05 12:39 ]

P

one hour tiki!

this is pretty much my new "cheap tiki"....I'm gonna do a bunch more of these...I've got some shows coming up...

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2012 9:55 AM

One hour well spent brother...looks good

At first glance it kinda reminds me of the Crazy Al tiki with the baseball theme...

P

thanks Nixxy....

and in other news...

the bitch is back.

....and like every other woman I've ever fallen in love with, she's dark, she's fast, she oozes style and sex appeal, and she would probably kill me if she had the chance.

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2012 2:59 PM

I love Elton John...

K
KeverC posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2012 3:58 PM

sweet car Jeff. looks like she needs some love but she has beautiful lines and a ton of style.

P

yeah bro, here's what she used to look like...

I spent 3 years and tens of thousands of dollars making her look like that.

And then some PERSON in a Saturn ran her f'n car down my drivers side and screwed everything up.

That was 8 years ago. She's been sitting at my buddies storage lot since then.

ANYWAY!

more cheap tikis...

and something else I did today...

the vw bus jack-o-lantern...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-10-06 16:41 ]

P

so yeah, I'm trying to do one "cheap tiki" a day in addition to whatever else I'm working on." I've decided that I need to have like 30 or 40 of these things sitting around at any given moment in case of last minute art shows.

As much as I love to make big, fairly detailed, Hawaiian-inspired stuff...the truth is the bigger and more detailed (and more expensive) they are, the less likely they are to ever sell. Seems like right around a hundred bucks is the magic number...so I need to have like 40 of them at the house and 2 or 3 rollin' around in the back seat of my truck...

and here's a Bosko-inspired piece that I spent like an hour and a half working on one day, and then left it in the carport for like 4 or 5 months and forgot about it. I'm always doing stuff like that.

Well anyway, a friend of mine from vegas, who incidentally just completed his 2nd tiki) was in town visiting today and wanted some help / advice on cutting bodies with the chainsaw (whoa...that sounded kinda scary)...

so I drug this one back out and sawed out a quick body to kinda give him a quick lesson on rough body work.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-10-08 20:23 ]

P

so it begins....

stripping these cypress logs for Kristina to draw out.

This is the first of what I hope will be a bunch of super-nice high end wedding arbors...

here she is working on the "rough draft"...

my new business already seems to be taking off. I have only spoken to 2 potential customers so far, and both are buying stuff, and both told me the same thing...."everyone's gonna want these"....

so maybe if this whole thing takes off I won't need to be in the cheap tiki business any more and I can just do middle-to-high end stuff. That would be super cool...

I really like the micro bug.
And yes the cheapies make better plan commercial.

P

yeah, that damned pumpkin got some mold on it and BAM it was a mass of black fur in like 3 days. I threw it away today.

But yeah, I liked him too. Kinda bummed he only lived a few days before he crapped out on me. Almost like a real vw bus! lol...

so yeah, I'm heading south in the next few days Will. I'll call you when I'm on the road to PSL.

Nice Riviera. It looks like it isn't too bad from this angle. I wish I could have been there to see you rough out the tiki body. It looks very cool with clean lines. That is what I need to learn next. I'm still a rookie at carving but I've got the bug. -Wade

P

thanks bro...yeah, she's a neat car.

so anyway I gotta finish this one because a repeat customer in Connecticut wants it...

not sure what I'm doing with the inner eye detail...

P

2nd collaboration with Dean Arscott Art...

I'm diggin' the painted moai's!

C
cy posted on Fri, Oct 12, 2012 9:22 AM

That looks bonus dude!

P

tiki fail!

went a little too thin on some details, hit a few pockets of rot, and things just started breaking.

Sometimes it's best just to shit-can 'em and cut your losses.

M

Dude! That is "Elaborate Firewood" Make a stack to burn! get that thing outta the can! Cooler temps starting up next weekend!

McTiki

'Elaborate firewood' - haha love it ;]

P

back to work...

finishing this one up today...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies