Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

okee dokee...

on to the next one...

K

nice work jeff. also digging the painted moai but i hate to see that poor tiki in the trash can like that lol.

Chris

P

yeah I just couldn't put that much of a compromised product out there with my name on it.

I just had to get him out of sight & out of mind.

so anyway, I'm making some cypress pieces so I'm strippin' 'em & having Kristine draw them out. She's getting pretty good! Better than me anyway. I've definitely benefited from her being here.

and I think I'm actually done cutting on the "fir trader" (here lurking in the shadows of my living room with the "big kanaloa"....

of all the stuff I've made these 2 are my faves.

was planning on having them around for awhile, but I guess the fir trader
is sold. Prior to it's completion no less. Anyway, I guess I'll start sanding him up tomorrow and start the finishing process...

P

tonight's homework...

Poor little guy deserves a more fitting end Jeff. :)

P

ok, I was almost done with this one...

then I dropped a big gnarly gouge on my foot. ouch...

C
cy posted on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 7:13 PM

That's a sweet gash dude, congrats!

K

sorry to hear about the foot bro. the tiki looks great.

M

its just a little Tiki bite......walk it off....nothing to see here....Steel toed Flip Flops come to mind

McTiki

Carve deeper.

One of the first things I learned was to never carve bare foot. Don't get too sloppy - especially with the sharp chisels.

P

here's the shoe I was wearing...went right through it like it wasn't even there...

I swear, my buddy's damned tormek makes these chisels like razor blades.

M

Poor Sanuk....

P

no more chopped up feet for me...

I'm just glad I can still move my big toe. It went fairly deep...I was kinda worried about tendon / muscle damage for a minute there..

P

I had a ton of inquiries about this little tiki modern piece I did, so I've decided to make more of them.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-10-20 15:45 ]

P

got this one roughed out right as the sun was going down...

P

second "aloha room" tiki done...

your kickin ass.......like what you been doing and your pumpin this stuff out like a machine...

my machine is broke

P

thanks bro...

I've got 10 different people waiting on commissions plus wedding arbors to build...

I need to start doing meth or something so I can just work constantly without ever sleeping, like a crazed truck driver...lol...

Anyway, today it's twin minis...

M

Diggin the new style! Glad you are busy! Relish it. Expresso Machine!

Good work!

Mahalo

McTiki

Good to see ya got heaps on the go there Jeff and that the foots ok.

P

what I did today...

and we're drawin' out the first wedding tikis...

We were just talking about how you needed to make a ton of those. Glad to see you're one step ahead.

P

yep....I plan on it.

Lots of response to this piece...

Looks like I'm gonna be able to sell some.

It's very busy around here right now.

On my way to the Tahitian Inn to discuss some business...hopefully it goes well....

P

well, today has been great day.

I had a brief meeting with the owners of the Tahitian Inn, where I did the big tikis last year. They are very happy with the response from their customers about the tikis, and they're ready to take it to the next level.

I'm working up a proposal for them at their request, but they were very agreeable in regards to the rough numbers I was throwing at them.

It's a huge honor to have one of the oldest on-running polynesian establishments in Florida as my own personal canvas. I now see the Tahitian as the ultimate local display of my work. And although it's not the Mai Kai or anything, I plan on making it a Florida tiki landmark.

I am very stoked!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-10-23 12:52 ]

That is very cool. We need more tiki bars!

Congrats! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

P

yeah, thanks guys....I'm pretty stoked.

So I didn't get much of anything done yesterday so I'm back on it...

N

And stoked you should be! That's great news sir.

I'm enjoying these new 'minimal' ones PJ, it's good to mix it up sometimes...

ps Congrats on the bar thing!

[ Edited by: Atomic Mess 2012-10-26 02:00 ]

P

thanks guys...yeah I'm liking the "tiki modern"...

surfs up!

and this is quite a swell...

Unfortunately I needed to give today a miss because I reopened the gash in the top of my foot the other day and it needs another day or 2, plus I committed to an art show tomorrow, but I'll be on it monday for sure...

I gotta go out and finish that marq for tomorrow's show.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-10-27 10:04 ]

N

The east coast will be firing on Sunday!! If ya make it over hit me up...ill be on it all day

P

it's monday for me Nixxy...I've got an art show tomorrow...I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy? Don't go getting yourself hurt bro...

anyway, finished up the "little tahitian" today...and yeah, I saw the unfinished nose tat after I posted this pic on facebook, and have since fixed it...

the "aloha room mods" do not look pleased that the rude, crude & tattoo'ed tahitian has crashed their little porch party..

P

I am clearly out of my freakin' mind....

I'll probably still be working on this headress when I'm 60....(I just turned 44)...

M

But, will you use depth on this one?

Nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

lol..."the depth"....kinda reminds me of "Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Storys" on the Dave Chappel Show when Rick James was calling Charlie Murphy "darkness"....

P

and wow...the mouth on that marq is terrible...

I need to fix that in the morning....gawd...

I've been on the surf all weekend and can barely lift my arms. Well over head and offshore winds. It was a hard adjustment going from no surf to waves like this.

P

yeah, looks like I missed it.

between re-opening the gash on my foot & then the art show I blew it.

And NOAA is saying that today's winds are 25 to 30 knots...

damn it.

Still going off. Saturday is the biggest/cleanest I've seen on the East Coast! Hope to hit it after work.

P

what I made today....

the first of the "wedding tikis"...

Is that the bride or the groom?

P

eh, just a prop...

I'm making a bunch of wedding arbors and stuff and these tikis are kinda part of that whole push...

so yeah, wow, first cold front of the year and it's really nice outside. stoked on the cool off!

anyway, roughing out the 2nd wedding tiki today...

M

Nice design Jeff. Is that some of the Cypress? It looks really tight.

Yeah, 60s and 70s Woooooot!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

yep...cypress.

it's interesting to work with....one time Will described it as like carving like plywood, and that's actually a fairly accurate assessment.

but it lasts longer than palm outside so I'm experimenting more with it...

anyway, back to work...

I bet that cypress is hard to carve. I probably wouldn't stand a chances with my harbor freight chisels. Lol. Looking forward to seeing some more progress pics

P

you know, it's hard and all, but it ain't that bad.

I'll bring a few piece with me to drop on you guys next time I'm out that way.

so anyway here it is, done.

P

ok, keepin' it rollin'...

2nd wedding tiki...this one is for a buddy of mine's sister who's a serious tarpon fisher / charter captain. she actually fishes tournaments and stuff...

I mentioned the idea of her wedding tiki holding a tarpon and her & her fiance were all over that...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies