Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

A
amate posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 4:04 PM

Love the tarpon tiki! That's cool.

P

thanks bro...

got him cleaned up a bit today, and chiselin' on him this evening...

K
KeverC posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 6:10 PM

love the one with the fish jeff. really cool.

C
cy posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 9:32 PM

Great job pjc, that fish really looks like it is hanging there!

P

thanks guys...

so today I chiseled some more on the tarpon tiki...so he's pretty close.

AND I also scored a dead palm...lots of future tikis..

I have a big show next weekend...

P

last night the stolen idols played at the mermaid tavern and I brought some tikis out for the show...

P

ok, so this lovely piece of florida mahogany is going to be my first panel...

P

bought this at home depot today...

this is a bit overdue...

this thing is gonna be like the ETERNAL TORCH at the tomb of the unknown soldier...ALWAYS BURNIN'!!!

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2012 4:44 PM

A lovely tribute Jeff.

P

some pic my buddy took for my new business card and marketing stuff...

WC

A man & his cuts.
It's a beautiful thing.

is that you or an old pic of picasso? i dont know........somethings up. picasso dug the tikis too. just saying :)

nice stuff man.......you def have defined your very own style. i could pick your stuff out of a group.....we will have to have a beer or a 100 beers some day.....i still have a cypress log to work on but just havent been able to find the time to carve this past year......keep going and dont ever stop

so really...? picasso? ya might wanna check that family tree...or shake a branch or two. ha ha ha

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2012-11-06 11:57 ]

P

thanks brother....I appreciate the props.

This last year has been crazy, and through a lot of luck and kissing people's asses I'm starting to build a rep.

it's kinda funny you threw the picasso thing out there...that's what the old cuban lady across the street from me says...lol.

so anyway, the work goes on...

shaved these this afternoon after I voted...drawin' some out tonight...

A
amate posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2012 4:04 PM

I can see you're still peeling them with the chainsaw. What kind of wheel are you using on that angle grinder. I just got one and need to learn the ropes.

P

well I use 40 grit flap discs...the blue ones.

although when I visited him a few months ago, Will showed me the little flat red ones that he uses, and they're less expensive...I should probably switch...

also, look into a getting a router speed controller....slows 'em down and makes them more manageable.

and wear some gloves...angle grinder wounds are quite painful, as it's an abrasive wound...like when you fell of your bike at full speed when you were a kid and went sliding across the pavement on your hands and knees...

but yeah, the "chainsaw filet" technique us what I use. I skinned those 8 logs in about 2 hours...

anyway, glad all this election shit is over with...tired of hearing about it...

anyway, time to start drawin' & cuttin' some tikis for this weekend's boat show...

P

burnin' the midnight oil..

P

today's gig...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-11-08 13:39 ]

P

almost done with the tarpon "wedding tiki"...

it's getting inscriptions and a good sand & poly tomorrow / saturday..

maybe a few more details...I don't know...

I've had a few beers...it's hard to say...

40 grit Flappys and an Arbortech disc are a carvers best friend.

WC

You sure have a knack for those fish.
Also, perhaps your best mouths & teeth too.

man, i like the head dress or braid on the left you did....i need to get off my ass....and get something going

H

Very nice.

Cool guy with the fish! I like the way it crosses over into the base and I agree with Will about the teeth, you've got those down...

P

thanks guys...

today I'm cleanin' up the ku for his debut next weekend.

I need to give him some kind of eye detail and stain him....

M

Killer Ku you got der.

I like the details in the mouth.

Can't wait to see this one done up.

Is that how a Jaw Horse works?

Mahalo!

McTiki

P

well, basically the jawhorse is a foot-pedal operated clamp. you put what ever you're working on in the clamp, hand tighten it, and then push down on the pedal and it squeezes harder & then locks.

it's actually a very handy item...I'm definitely glad I got it.

M

Jaw horse on my Chrissy list!

Mahalo!

McTiki

P

2nd wedding tiki done...

and I put some eyeballz on the big koooooo....

P

my new biz card...

Looking good

P

thanks bro.

so yeah here's one more pic of the tarpon tiki...this one really shows the grain...

and I did a little tiki restoration today...

the "weeping tahitian" stopped sapping out, so I resurfaced him and stained him...

before...

and after...

Dude
U r rockin

big-bigger-Surf Soul Tiki!!!excellent stuff,man!!!

I like that. it looks like a lot of work!
what does a fresh carve like that go for?

P

a grand...

P

and I would like to invite all of you to my first gig at the Tahitian Inn...

"tiki nights at the Tahitian"...

I know Tampa is a bit of a drive, but I still wanted to make sure all of you guys know you're invited.

Basically I'm doing what I can to get what I call our "fractured scene" together and bring all the tiki-philes to one place to get to know each other, have some tropical drinks & talk tiki...

I'll be doing a live carve, and also asking other carvers to come and do the same (it ain't all about me)...

It's gonna be a monthly gig, and the first one is January 24th, which is a thursday...

I have 2 leather couches if anyone would like to make the drive and would rather crash before going home...

P

the ku is stained...

P

a few plunge-cuts with the chainsaw to get the 2nd kanaloa started...

this one's cypress...

P

ok, most of the rough cut is done...

N

The KU looks great! and the new one is well on its way to stardom.

Very cool meeting you today...hope you caught some good waves. Next time I'd like to paddle out with ya!

P

yeah Nixxy, too bad you had to go to work...the waves were super fun for a few more hours...

I was doing my normal rush-in / rush-out routine, but yeah, next time we'll paddle out & bust a few together...

Careful!
Thoughts become actions

P

lol...that's some funny shit...

well played Will...

^ :)

P

badda BING!

So yeah, I've tried getting some tree guys excited in the past about giving me stuff, and they're always kinda "yeah, sure, we'll call you"...and then never called.

So last time some tree guys came through I spoke to them and said "hey, here's the deal: you need to start calling when you cut down sable & coconut palms....wanna know why?" to which they obviously replied "why?" and I said "because I'm a tiki artist. And you know this 'tree service' thing you guys do for money? Well, whenever I run out of palms to make tikis with, I go out and find people with dead palms and offer to cut them down for free. And you know what else? I get lots of referrals from their friends and family with dead trees. So if I have to go out and be the 'free tree service guy' I will, but let's face it, I would rather NOT be in the free tree service business. I'm sure you'd prefer that as well. Plus, it costs you money to dispose of it...so you're saving money by giving it to me."

He agreed, and now I have more sable palm than I know what to do with (not really...lol).

Also, I have recently fallen in love with Eucalyptus. There's a bar here called "FIRE" and the bar & surrounding area is done in eucalyptus, and it is GORGEOUS....just stunning...I asked my new tree guy if he ever gets any eucalyptus, and he was like "oh yeah, all the time...you want big huge logs or smaller ones???".....I want 'em ALL bro, I want 'em all...lol...so yeah, looking forward to getting my hands on some of it...

N

Damn! That should certainly keep you busy for a while.

Love the surfer tiki pic...awesome!

I reckon that's probably a weeks worth ;]

I'd say less

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies