Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

M

I say he's already got them 100% skinned and has drawn up 70% of them.... and.....he'll be showing us 3 new finished carvings tonight!

McTiki

P

lol...nah, I'm working on this...

a commissioned piece for the same lady who commissioned the scooter moai.

she asked for a tiki holding a peace sign, and I suggested we do a tiki making little peace signs with his hands to make it a little less generic. She's all about the big happy tikis...

and since I moved my operation to the back yard and we changed the bulbs in the outdoor light fixtures it's plenty lit up so I can work at night!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-11-28 20:33 ]

M

Bet the neighbors love You.....

Thought for sure you were gonna show us some of those new logs .....

McTiki

Sweet score with the logs Jeff!

P

well I'm pretty worn out from doing a kid's charity event all weekend.

but it's time to get back to work in a big way....I have a lot to do.

but here's a few pics from the "faces of courage event" including a tiki I did while I was there with the kids...it's basically a little 3 day pre-christmas camp for kids who have cancer & blood disorders, and their siblings.

great one
and u fast bro

P

today's gig... working on some fishing rod holders. the fishing guys love these things. If you know someone who fishes and you want them to be stoked, make 'em one of these. some of 'em will be tiki, some will have some little redfish & snook carved on 'em.

and I finished this guy & delivered him to his new owner (the same nice lady who commissioned the "scooter moai"...

also, here's a neat vintage water ski that I'm making into a cool skateboard for this chick I know.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-12-05 17:20 ]

P

oh yeah, and here's a panel I started tonight...

Like I said
u freekin fast

P

this one came out ok.

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Dec 7, 2012 3:47 AM

Looks great Jeff.

I bet it smells awesome!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

ok, getting the fir trader prettied up for his trip out west. At this point I've sanded him to 320.

I think that this is pretty much the best tiki I've done to date.

I'm gonna miss him. I feel like I'm sending a part of myself away. But I respect the guy who's getting it. He already has several really nice pieces from some pretty well-known guys, and I'm just stoked that this guy will be among them. But yeah, that's the sacrifice you make to be a professional artist...it's all for sale. even the one's you wanna keep.

SICK BRO

N
NIxxon posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2012 5:39 AM

That certainly is a wonderful piece! Detailed, smooth, and just all around attractive to the eye. Excellent work...it must suck to let it go but somebody will get great pleasure out of owning that one. Sharing your work is the most rewarding part about creating!

A
amate posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2012 6:19 AM

Great job on that one! Congratulation on the sale.

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2012 9:02 AM

Looks great Jeff, also nice work with the charity, you're a good tiki soul surf dude.

WC

That headdress is so jagged
it could cut you 3 ways.
Wide, deep & repeatedly.

P

thanks guys...

ok...the finishing process is underway.

just laid on a coat of natural stain and BAM!!! the grain just started exploding....

thanks for the finishing advice Benz...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-12-09 14:09 ]

great color

that's really good! Did the knots give you much grief? (doesn't look like it)

P

yeah, I used a little burr on the knots, in addition to some very careful chiseling...so all in all not a majot issue...

just laid the last coat of poly on him...when it stops raining in a couple of days I'll take him out & get some pics of him...

K

another great one Jeff. love the way the wood grain pops. killer tiki.

Chris

P

"the fir trader"

lono in douglas fir...

done!

You finally got that sucker wrapped up! What a great job,
you spent a lot of time on the headdress and it really paid off.
beautiful tiki.

M

Awesomeness pouring out of Tampa Bay area.

Very nice work Jeff.

Mahalo

McTiki

P

thanks guys....

kinda wondering how I'm gonna top this one...lol..

M

With a 5 ft. Standing, Teko Teko! That's how! Lol

McTiki

P

ok, back to work.

new commission. she wanted twin tikis in cypress with happy faces, and she wanted them in the basic ku style that I've done for a lot of other peeps. That head dress gets 'em every time...

so I just cut the bodies on 'em. today is monday, which is $5 burger day at green iguana, so I think it's dinner time. I'm gonna cut the faces & headdresses in the morning.

R

I'm a newbie that recently got the itch to carve some Tiki's of my own. I have been researching the art of Tiki carving. I have never carved wood in this manner. By accident, I stumbled on to this thread during my research. When I did a search for grinding the results led me here. I started reading the thread at page one and got hooked. I have pretty much read all 95 pages over the last two days. I got hooked for several reasons. First, I noticed your in Tampa (so am I) Second, your early Tiki's seemed similar to where I am currently in my carving abilities. Third, I saw your work and was inspired. Your work is incredible. I have been experimenting with tools and different woods over the last week. I have a chainsaw, grinder, multiple tool, dremel ect... I picked up a lot of tips just reading your thread. I had a bunch of questions before I started reading this thread. But a lot of them were answered as I continued to read. In fact the thread fueled my desire to carve. I am extremely impressed with all of your work and how fast you can pump it out. It is great to see how your abilities have improved over the past three years. Your work is inspiring and I hope that I can eventually get to your level of expertise and talent. I hope you don't mind if I try to reproduce some of the features in your designs? I really like your Tiki style. I haven't really found my style yet. I have started several Tiki's this past week during my experimentation. I have not finished any of them yet. I carved two out of deck pilings and one from a palm. Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I like your work. Your Tiki's are some of my favorites. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

5150- last one came out great, next 2 look fun.
I know I've said this before, but man u r fast...

Record- your right, 5150 kicks ars...look, read, learn, carve n have fun...

Jon

P

hey thanks guys...

and record, if you wanna come by & learn some stuff, just let me know. I live in Riverside Heights, right next to downtown.

R

I would love to come by and learn some things. I live in Trinity. So I'm not that far from you.

P

yeah bro, I pretty much do this tiki stuff for a living, so I'm out back in the shed cookin' up a revolution on a nearly daily basis. I'm all about sharin' the stoke. Come on down whenever...give me a call first to be sure I'm around. I pm'ed you my number...

P

ok, I'll start cleanin' these guys up in the morning....

P

ok, cleaning up the twins...

P

well with the END OF THE WORLD only 2 days away, I've been hoarding...

palm....

cypress.... and more palm...

hardwood...

M

Looks like a Termite Buffet up in there!

Get busy. You have only a few hours remaining.

Make good use of them!

Mahalo

McTiki

keep up the good work

Jeff, I envy you. I keep looking at your thread for inspiration and I noticed you've got guitars in your house with the tikis and bikes. Carving tikis, surfing and playing some cool tunes with your best friend (your dog). It doesn't get any better than that. I like to play guitar in my spare time too. Anyways, good luck with the tiki business.

P

yeah, the guitar ain't mine....that's my roomate, Kristina's.

I'm a music lover, but I can't play a note!

and sorry if I haven't been very "inspirational" here lately. All this holiday festiveness (along with getting paid on some stuff and having a pocket full of cash) has distracted me a bit here lately. I need to get back on top of things.

One of the things I've been doing instead of working is playing with my boat. I joined this boat club in the neighborhood so now my boat sits right next to a boat ramp right near downtown, so I've been doing some evening cruises. Right before the republican national convention the city put all these cool LED lights shining up on all the bridges downtown, and they're really cool from the boat at night. and last night was the lighted boat parade, which was also fun.

Dude, did u leave any stumps for anyone else in Fl?
Lol
:)

M

Party on!

The Ho Boat Looks great!

Merry Christmas Jeff!

Mahalo!

McTiki

happy new year jeff........i actually saw a tree that WASNT in your back yard yesterday.....you left one......im glad to see your passion is going strong brother. your doing great work.......i havent done crap in the last year but bought e beach cruiser bike yesterday and taking my kids surfing this weekend if the wind allows......seeing your post and work keeps me thinking and planning. i have to get off my ass and carve.......no more excuses dammit

some day if i make it up in your neck of the woods we will have to have 1 or a 100 beers!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2012-12-28 13:55 ]

P

yeah bro, hope you got some waves on this last swell...I didn't make it down...

but yeah man, we'll take the ho boat out & have a little drinkin' cruise if you make it up to this neck of the woods.

and that goes for the rest of you mokes too!!!

P

ok. holiday lazy time is over.

I plan on making this a big year business-wise, so I'm gonna spend most of this year holed up at the house making stuff. I know some of you guys think I work fast, but I'm about to crank it up a notch. I am seriously going after it in 2013. I've kinda weened myself off of hanging out at the bar every night like I did most of this last year, and I'm very focused on making better tikis, making more tikis, selling more tikis, and building my brand.

So today I had to send the fir trader off to his new home in oregon, so I have to make something really cool to make me feel better.

so here we go....this is a dramatically pitched piece of palm that will be a lono with a ridiculous headdress...and will be the 3rd of a 4 piece set I'm using for my side business as rentals, alongside the big kanaloa & ku...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2013-01-02 20:01 ]

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2013 5:37 PM

I know this shape very well!

I already love what it will be.

Rock it!

Mahalo

McTiki

Happy new year Jeff , looks like ya got enough wood to keep ya goin to the next!

P

yeah bro...for sure...

and yesterday I filled the ho boat with driftwood, so I'm loaded for bear!

I'm gonna make a really sweet outdoor bench for my mom out of driftwood....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies