Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

Spoke to the dude at flexcut today and he recommended a leather stropping wheel on a drill, and using their "flexcut gold" compound to keep the factory edge.

P

oh yeah...and here's my 2nd stain job!

P

Really liking your work, especially with the awesome stain jobs...

Paul

thanks for the tips... I wonder if they work just as well on harder woods.. the tikis keep looking better

T

On 2011-02-16 16:27, pjc5150 wrote:
Spoke to the dude at flexcut today and he recommended a leather stropping wheel on a drill, and using their "flexcut gold" compound to keep the factory edge.

That's what I use. Works like a charm. Keeps me from having to go back to the sharpening stone for a long time. You can even liven up x-acto blades with it!

Good to know that your flexcut set is the sculptor's one. I have broken one of their larger #3 gouges (not sculptor model) twice already. They have a design flaw (IMHO) where the width of the blade thins right at the handle. I took the broken blade, put it in my own handle and I can mallet the hell out of it now.

P

Wow, the #3 huh? I'll have to keep that in mind.

So I have drawn out a big one. Just under 6ft. My biggest yet!

T

On 2011-02-20 08:27, pjc5150 wrote:
Wow, the #3 huh? I'll have to keep that in mind.

So I have drawn out a big one. Just under 6ft. My biggest yet!

Oh Yeah. Gonna be a nice one!

P

Hey guys,

Just figured I'd drop a few photos of some recent stuff.

A Billy the crud rip-off:

And a buddy of mine drawing some flames for me.

And an old one I did for a buddy that I just stained.

P

Flames!

N

nice dude! those flames look sweet...and that guy drawing them looks super intense...lol

M

Very nice!

Got Burrs?

McTiki

P

No sir, I haven't scored the burrs yet....

.....but it's definitely in my head.

I'll get some here soon.

P

OK, so here's my first experiment playing with fire.

"the hot-head"

P

The 4-faced 7 footer!

Commissioned by one of my best friend's sis-in-law. She wanted one face for each member of her family.

Nothing ground-breaking, but my biggest tiki so far!

M

Now That's Just Awesome Jeff!

I have a 7.4 ft log just teasing me.

Keep em coming!

Mahalo

Mctiki

N

That came out great!! im sure the customer will be very pleased.

and im diggin the "hothead"...def lots of personality in that guy.

P

thanks guys.

I'm pretty stoked on both of those last 2 pieces.

P

a wallhanger I gave away at a party the other night.

P

FInally started hacking away at the one I drew out over a month ago!

P

Almost done!

cool body style....nice cut lines on that one.

VERY SMOOTH

P

Thanks guys,

And it attracts hot chicks!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-04-05 07:06 ]

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 5:48 AM

Looking AWESOME!!! Very clean and great design...great job...how do you plan to finish it?

P

Gonna put a head-dress on it today or tomorrow & stain it.

It's pretty much already sold, which is kind of a shame because I really like it. But the dude who's buying it is actually my first customer & he's way cool, so it's all good.

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 9:48 AM

Nice! Well congrats on your first customer...that great news.

I think I would have a hard time letting that one go as well...it looks awesome.

P

Thanks bro.

This isn't the first piece I've sold, but the dude who wants this one was the first guy to ever buy any of my stuff.

P

Finally stained & finished this Marq that has been sitting unfinished in my living room for like a year.

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 2:32 PM

very nice! lookin great...the dog looks a bit jealous though :)

P

This weekend's creation. I really like the texture of the bark so I tried to leave as much as I could.

That's pretty freakin cool!
Great look on this guy.

P

^ thanks bro ^

and here are some minis I made....

M

Dayum! Busy much? Nice!

T

On 2011-04-10 16:41, pjc5150 wrote:
This weekend's creation. I really like the texture of the bark so I tried to leave as much as I could.

I really like that! It's both rustic and primitive looking. Your style seems to be evolving a little over the last few pieces I see. You've definitely cranked it up a notch!

P

thanks guys. I appreciate the props.

So here's the "evil twin". Planning on finishing him up today & hopefully the big 'un will be finished by tomorrow.

I've been asked to put some tikis in an art show this weekend & I'm not working this week, so I'm trying to bust some stuff out.

Good luck! I like them both but there is something about the stained one that really strikes a chord

N

Very Cool! I really like the bark on those last two...I bet your front porch looks CRAZY with all those tikis!

P

Yeah, it's getting crowded out there for sure.

OK, so I've been a busy bee lately. Here is "son of hellboy"...

and the big ku with a headdress almost ready to stain...

N

That bark looks RIDICULOUS!! What kind of palm is that? Son of hellboy is doin his father proud :)

and cant wait to see what the big guy looks like all stained up...awesome job

P

I actually don't know what kind of palm it is. I found some at the dump and there it is!

I really like it too though. I've only found it once or twice.

P

finally done!!!!

I spent a couple hours sanding it with some 180 and slapped on a couple coats of "golden pecan" and he's off to his new home in a few days.

Looks like I'm going to be in an art show Sunday on Harbour Island, so this one is going with me!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-04-15 08:08 ]

P

Holy crap!! Son of Hellboy is awesome, and the big KU RULES!!! Keep up the good work, the smoothness and detail you get are so incredible...

Paul

A
amate posted on Fri, Apr 15, 2011 1:31 PM

That full body Ku turned out great. I have to admire that you took it down to 180 grit. I'm not that patient. I'm sure it will look different on hardwood but I'm going to give the Golden Pecan a trial in the near future. A good look and an all aroung great effort.

N

PJC that looks FANTASTIC! Very clean, very smooth, and great color. I'm sure it will be a big hit at the show!

M

Jeff!

Sell your friends another Tiki. This ones a keeper!

Hella nice Job!

McTiki

P

Thanks guys, I appreciate the props.

And Mc, I have no choice, the tiki money is the only cash flow I have at the moment so it's gotta go!

I cut some more of that exact same wood, and have 4 that are over 9 ft, so I'm going to take on some BIG ones here soon!

Looking Good! I love the color. Nice on the art show.

P

Started a 7 1/2 footer!

Was up at 8am drawing it out...

that took about about an hour, I took an hour break, and then stopped at this point at 11am to go get some lunch...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-04-19 10:14 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies