Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

my angle grinder had a long morning and is very tired.

lots of neighbors have been stopping to ask about this one.

M

Dude!

Tell me this one isn't already sold too?

P

Nah, not sold yet.

This one's a little soft in the middle so I'm not going to go crazy with it. I have about 6 hours into this one, and I'd like to keep it under 10.

Hoping to finish, burn and stain it by sundown.

Shaped the face up a bit this morning with the dremel sander.

each piece just keeps getting better......,and faster too. great job AGAIN DUDE!!!!!! hurry up and get 12 more done....sun is going down. ha ha ha ha

good work man

P

bummer....

W

Damn that sucks. Sorry man.

Chris
WestADad

P

salvaged what was left over....

...and learned a hard lesson about working on logs that are soft in the middle.

live and learn!

W

It's a good save though, your carves are great!

Chris
WestADad

http://www.westadad.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: WestADad 2011-04-22 14:42 ]

P

thanks bro. I appreciate that.

P

drew out a lono last night.

Seems like a nice dense piece of wood, so hopefully it turns out well.

P

this is a great piece of wood. I'm really enjoying the detail work on this one. very stoked!

N

dude that is SIIIICK! Really liking that one. excellent detail and it looks extremely symmetrical. Awesome job!

P

thanks bro. still a lot of chiseling left to do!

P

still chipping away on it. was hoping to finish today, but my mother asked me to come over & pressure wash her deck, so looks like tomorrow.

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 1:19 PM

HOLY MOLY!! That is looking Great! Really like all the detail...cant wait to see it finished.

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 6:53 PM

oh yeah...can you come over and pressure wash MY deck?

S

Holy crap your going to town! Nice

P

Ok, the lono is done!

Very stoked. Probably my best piece yet....

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, May 7, 2011 8:41 AM

WOWZERS!!! That is one fine looking tiki my friend. Great Job!! That was well worth the wait :)

Excellent! Now your workin those flexcuts. Takes it to a whole new level.
Now get busy on the next one. :)

A
amate posted on Sun, May 8, 2011 11:44 AM

Yes, very nice use of the chisels!

P

Finished the 7 1/2 footer.

Very stoked!

N

That looks amazing!! Fine work. I really like the dark color.

M

Very nice Tiki Jeff!

Makes me wonder whats next....

Mahalo

McTiki

SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Nice finish. what brand and color or did ya make your own.....best one yet!!!!!

N

Last one is AWESOME

P

Thanks guys. That is minwax "special walnut" stain - one of my favs.

Did my second art show last night, and for the second time had little-to-no interest whatsoever in my stuff. This whole being an "artist" thing kinda sucks sometimes. Looks like I may just scale back my operation. I only have room for so many tikis at my house, and they aren't really selling, so I guess I need to be realistic.

N

Absolutely not!!

Dont get discouraged brother...you make some GREAT tiki's. Maybe try some other outlets for getting more exposure. If it first you don't succeed...TRY HARDER!!!

It would be a shame to see you stop creating such awesome work...

Don't get discouraged. It may be the venues you are choosing. If its a small craft fair there are few people walking around looking for tikis. Price pont is another - try to have something from cheap to cheaper. Try some car shows or beach events - and pass out your card to EVERYONE. Tikis are a tough sell, especially the big ones. You'll find the right niche.

P

A big, heavy roughed out lono I did yesterday.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-05-16 10:46 ]

P

Well, he got a body, a face, and a good smoothing with the angle grinder yesterday. All that's left is a bunch of hammer & chisel, which I'll save for sunday so I'm not bored out of my skull at the art show. Between now & then I need to try to bust out a few little $75- $100 tikis so maybe I can leave the show with a little cash.

P

some funky little moai's I did for the last art show.

P

here's what I started today. "The Chubby Marquesian". Doing an art show that is being put on by Quicksilver at the international plaza mall this weekend. This is what I'll be working on while I'm there. Hopefully the quicksilver shop will buy it.

P

...so it has been exactly 2 years ago this week that I started carving tikis. I feel very lucky to have discovered this hobby / lifestyle / whatever-you-want-to-call-it, and would like to thank everyone here who answered my questions & helped me stay stoked. Benz, 4wd Bill, McTiki, Seeksurf, Chimp, Amate, Nixxon, and all the other guys who have encouraged me along the way. Many Mahalos brothers. I appreciate this place more than you know.

T

Two Yearss all redy.. You can tell that youve improved.. Keppem coming!!

P

PJC,

WOW, that went fast, and your work inspires me and I hope to be able to complete something as cool as some of your work soon.

Here's to a lifetime of tiki and tiki-carving!!

Aloha

Paul

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2011 9:51 AM

You're kickin' some ass! Keep it up. (And keep posting)

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2011 8:15 AM

Congratulations Brother!

Keep up the great work and keep us all updated!

That chubby marq looks like its gona be a good one...cant wait to see it!

P

Thanks guys. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the talent here. Every time someone starts telling I'm great or "the best", I just say to them "I'm a total novice compared to some of the guys that I interact with on-line. You have NO IDEA how good their stuff is." It's good not to let oneself get a big head, and I am humbled by the work I see here on a regular basis.

Off to have a few cold ones, and then hopefully put a face on "the chubster". You guys have a nice Sunday...

T

too many cold ones No face yet?

WC

Happy Bday
Every one you do is practice for the next one.

On 2011-06-06 04:33, Will carve wrote:
Happy Bday
Every one you do is practice for the next one.

MAN THAT IS TRUTH RIGHT THERE!!!!!!

everytime i start one i screw something up...or what NOT to do next time.

ITs been 2 years...REALLY??????? duuude...heres to another couple.(lifting a cold one)

P

the chubster gets a face! although I have obviously abandoned the Marquesian idea.

P

well, this one's close to done. I left the hand part big and blank so he could be holding something cool like a fish or something...just can't decide exactly what...

So I guess I'll start something else until I can make a decision. I'm thinking I'm doing another tall one next.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-06-13 20:44 ]

On 2011-06-11 19:37, pjc5150 wrote:

Tighten up that chain!

:o

N

i must say im diggin the NON-MARQ look...that piece looks awesome bro. Way to improvise and bring a fresh look...

Keep up the good work!

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 14, 2011 2:35 PM

Happy belated 2nd year aniversary! Everything looks good so keep them coming.

T

Lookin Good!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies