Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

T

On 2011-10-14 19:46, pjc5150 wrote:
Other than that, I figure that since I'm in the local paper this week I need to get out there and do some hustling and get some residential jobs too. You can see me in the little blurb at the very top of the page...

Very cool! Great press. Congrats on all the new gigs!

On 2011-10-18 10:06, pjc5150 wrote:
First residential job on Anna Maria Island!

NICE! How the heck do u grind these out so fast?!? And they're nice too! Not like you're just making a couple of slashes and calling it done...

Looks good.
Your best yet.

N

wow that looks really good, looks like bit of ladder operations were in the mix. is that a queen?

P

Thanks for the props guys. I spent most of yesterday making that one happen from scratch. And T, I just get after it!

Got a call today & it looks like I've got a big bid tomorrow at another waterfront restaurant. Pretty sure I can get them to bite.

Wanted to stay focused so I busted out this "somewhat despondent moai" this afternoon after lunch. I'm really enjoying using the chisels...more than ever.

I've never been more excited about working in my life. I know this is probably just my 15 minutes in the sun and it'll probably fizzle out more sooner than later, but I sure am having fun while it's lasting! I'm just going to work my ass off & hope it pans out. Thanks to everyone here for all the inspiration and support.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-10-18 13:46 ]

N

Nice work Jeff.

Ive heard that in order to be happy in life you've got to do what you love. Sounds like you are doing just that. Keep at it, stay motivated and you will have everything you ever dreamed of. Sharing successes with others only makes you work that much harder because you don't want to let them down...DON'T LET US DOWN! You are doing great and, I don't know about everybody else but I like to hear about it...I'm going to stop my preaching for now but as soon as you put the idea in your head that your success is going to fizzle...it will. Think of where you want to be and you will be there. Happy Carving Brother, Keep us Posted!

P

yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess I 'm having so much fun I just don't want to set myself up to be disappointed.

But, the good news is the owner of the place that I spoke to today gave me a deposit on the first piece. This is where I'll be working, which is cool because it's right there on the pass & I can bring my rod & reel with me and do a little fishing while I'm carving...

http://www.newpassgrill.com

I've been there - didn't know the name of it. Stopped there after fishing a few years back. That place was a great way to cap off a great day fishing. I only recognized it from the water shot. When we were there it was packed with boats. From what I can recall - the beers were delightful!

P

yeah, it's a cool little spot. Looking forward to getting things started tomorrow.

P

so wow, today I come back to the beach and this is what I have to deal with...

Best gulf waves I've had in years. And this is actually a pic I lifted off gulfster, but it was taken at the Beachhouse where I did the big tiki.....so yeah, it's pretty much my new favorite spot....

P

damn double posts!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-10-20 16:12 ]

P

The 66 Schwinn is finished!

Before:

After:

Q

Sweet! It looks even better with that tiki in the background... :wink:

Turned out great - I'm amazed the chain gaurd is still in such good shape. All it needs now is a side rack for your board!

P

thanks bro. I have a '63 Schwinn American with a different style (but also very straight) chain guard that I think I'm going to do next. Not sure exactly what I want to do...but I'm thinking a similar bike to this one, but in more of a pagan gold metal-flake...and I want to get some cream "fat frank" tires for this one and use these tires on the 63. The fat franks have orange lettering on the side, and I think they would be perfect on this bike (they're just a little pricey).

Anyway, back to the tikis!

Well, kinda tiki-ish anyway. This is the first of several pieces I am doing for the "New Pass Grill". This is the second piece I've done like this & I kinda like doing them. Good opportunity to hone the skills & broaden my scope a bit. Dolphin, fish, & turtle. I'm stoked on it...

P

Detailed up the "somewhat despondent Moai" as he is going to be a trophy at a contest this Saturday at the Skatepark of Tampa. That's their logo on the forehead...

N

Lookin good bro...Im diggin all the new work and the details are lookin sharper each time. Keep it up!

P

5 foot Ku on a 3 1/2 foot base.

skinned it & drew it yesterday, carved it today, and I'll burn & stain it tomorrow.

Starting a big residential job at a huge mansion-type deal on the gulf blvd on Tuesday,

And I met a pretty, green eyed Irish girl from Ohio tonight. I think she may be my new chick.

Today didn't suck.

N

very nice work! Looks great, what color you gona stain it?

and as for the little lady...pics or it didn't happen :wink: j/k

P

well, golden pecan is pretty much my go-to.

Unfortunately I was rained out today so nothing got done.

B

Love the "Despondent" Moai, your chisel works are getting much better.
On the palm tikis, especially at the foot and hip areas, don't go too thin without incorporating some support, they will break off way sooner than later. I've done it myself and see many palm tikis way too thin at the feet and Always see them breaking. Not good if they are for a commercial establishment, the first one that breaks off onto a customer will spell the end for them all. Just be careful.

P

thanks Benz, that means a lot. I'll be down there again in a few weeks seeing my grandfather, and I'll call you beforehand & maybe set something up.

and yeah, I've kinda learned that lesson (again) here lately. Went too thin on one of those dolphin swirls at the New Pass Grill, so I have to cut it in half and try to drill & dowell it because it's kinda swaying in the wind. Hopefully I'll be able to get it resolved.

So anyway, I made this Ku for a very successful German develeper guy on Longboat Key this past week. Similar to the one I just made at New Pass, but not exact. And I'm doing another piece in his back yard this week. This guy's house is ridiculous, across the street from the beach with a canal out back, so I'm honored that he wants my stuff out front.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-05 10:03 ]

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Nov 5, 2011 3:29 PM

Holy Cow that is BIG! Looks great, is it much more difficult to carve logs in place like that?

P

yeah...it's kind of a pain in the ass working around it on a scaffold, and I get really nervous having to us a chainsaw up there to skin the log and stuff, but other than that it's cool.

Kinda started this one day before yesterday, and then took it up to the bar this afternoon to beat on it some more. Commission piece for one of the guys who works at the beach house who was into the tikis & wanted one for the house. He's a cool guy & I want him to be stoked.

P

Well, finished cutting this one for the most part. Just a little clean-up, torch & stain and it's done.

And here's a little snook rod holder I did for one of my best friends.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-06 17:15 ]

I like #2 the best!
Keep up the good work.
http://mycargoship.ipage.com/store/index.html

Noticed you left the torch on.
Just Kidding.
http://mycargoship.ipage.com/store/index.html

P

Thanks bro.

I'd like to catch a closer look at some of those guitars that are hanging behind you in that pic on your thread.

P

Well, finished both the little AND the big ku, and started a little lono & a moai. The little one is 3 1/2 ft, the big one is 6 1/2 feet tall on a 4 1/2 foot base for a total of 11 feet high, and the lono & moai are both around 2 feet.

The ku's were for money, the lono is a gift, and the moai is a donation to a benefit tomorrow for a local guy who had the terrible misfortune of being attacked by a 9 foot bull shark while spearfishing offshore. He survived, but obviously has some serious medical expenses.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-09 17:22 ]

Man! I'm loving what I see here!

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 6:34 PM

wow bro, never a bad update in your thread! Diggin all the new stuff, strong work.

And I couldn't help but notice the background, who does the painting?

P

that would be my buddy Cheeta Chad. He's a painter out here one Anna Maria Island.

He let's me home-base out of his pad.

And thanks for the props guys.

P

Spent some quality time with the lono today, I am super stoked on where this one is going...

N

yea that one is looking really cool...def see improvement in the chisel work every time you post. Keep it up!

Nice work with the chisels your lono's look'n the goods.

your a machine.......ya just keep pumping-em out man!!!!! great work

P

thanks guys, I've really been trying to turn some stuff out lately.

Started cutting this one yesterday & finished today. I'll torch & stain it in the morning.

Dude thats awesome,your carv'ns just get better and better!Keep em com'n!!

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Nov 13, 2011 8:01 PM

I agree with Chimp, man you rock on busting out some tikis! Really like the way you
did those big notty diamond shapes on the Lono. Keep carving it up!

P

Yeah, I've been working hard trying to get some projects done so I can work on some smaller pieces to sell & take a weekend off to go visit my grandfather.

Anyway, this one's DONE. The german developer and his family are very happy.

Now I'm off to go skin some logs....

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

and holy crap look at that pool cage....its like a bio-dome!!!! fly a space ship in that thing

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2011-11-14 10:01 ]

P

the day is young.....so the work continues. Got these 5 skinned & cleaned before lunch...

The gulf actually had some nice waves on monday....

And the website is coming soon!!!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-14 10:37 ]

N

dang bro that piece came out GREAT!!! I can just imagine cruising through the canal on a boat and BAMM!! there he is...def an eye catcher and I really like how the log comes out of the ground the way it does...another fine job. Keep it up!

P

well, started cleaning this one today...

This is going to be a collaborative effort between my buddy cheeta & I. He's a painter and does cool ocean stuff.

Basically he's going to draw a rough wave-scape, I'm going to carve it out a bit, and he's going to paint it, and then I'm doing a tiki on top. It's about 6 feet high.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

N

sounds like a really cool concept...cant wait to see it.

P

Thanks Nixxy.

I have really high hopes for this one.

Great shot of your tailgate with all ya awesome bikes,stuff like thats pretty rare round my way.Cheers Watango

P

thanks guys...

here's the one I started today...last piece for the new pass grill.

big, happy tiki holding a snook.

N

Are you sure that snook is within the legal size limit?

Lookin good bro, I'm sure they will be pleased.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies