Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

very nice and congrats on the new gig......

A
amate posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2012 4:42 PM

On 2012-01-27 16:02, Creative Chimp wrote:
very nice and congrats on the new gig......

DITTO!!!

P

making a little progress on this one today...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-01-29 12:20 ]

P

that's it for the day!

I'm ready for a beer!

P

face tat!

N

looks like a busy day bro, I hope it was as nice in Tampa as it was in O-town. Lookin really good, what did you use for the face tat?

Oh and If you never got around to it I had a few beers for ya!!!

P

yeah, I dremeled it...

and I made sure to have a few cold ones...I got a lot done today!

and I start at the Tahitian tomorrow.

If that one above doesn't end up there it's going to my grandfather's house. He's french, so he'll dig the fact that it's kinda french-polynesian.

On 2012-01-27 12:26, pjc5150 wrote:
I am very pleased to announce my new "association" with The Tahitian Inn, here in lovely Tampa. I will be carving 2 large tikis on their property out of a date palm and a fan palm that died in the cold winter 2 years ago...as well as some other possibilities like maybe sprucing up their tiki bar, maybe doing a run of ceramic tiki mugs with one of my designs & their info, and who knows what else. The Tahitian is pretty much "the" Polynesian-themed establishment in town, and I'm grateful that they accepted my bid & liked my ideas about getting them more "on theme" with some real Tahitian style tikis & oceanic art. I look forward to making the Tahitian Inn even MORE AWESOME than it already is. Huge thanks to my ex-girlfriend, Esmerelda, who is an employee there & a friend of the owners, and who seriously worked the inside track for me.

Benz, Will, I'm going to be all over you guys with questions and stuff....prepare for the onslaught...

http://www.tahitianinn.com/

Congratulations! you must be realy excited. Good luck to you

Cool! Congrats on The Tahitian Inn gig! Don't forget to take the camera for those progress shots!

B

Really Liking that Lono man.

P

thanks Benz...if you approve then it's going well!

so I started at the Tahitian yesterday...

started stripping this one...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-02-01 07:56 ]

Damn!!! At the going rate of a hundred bucks a foot the profit off that one is going to buy you a yacht! Be careful up there!

P

Stripped an 8ft plus section on the first piece at the Tahitian Inn and did a little "rough draft" to give myself a general idea of where I want stuff.

Lots of designing & stencil making tonight....

N

Nice Bro! Congrats on the job and I cant WAIT to see that one finished...looks like its gonna be a good one.

P

that is a VERY rough draft. I can tell you right now Nixxy, I am dead serious about this one...

I've promised these people something good. I want to deliver something great....I want to exceed their expectations...

I want them to look at the first piece and say "wow, we found the right guy..."

It's all I can think about..I'm just sitting here obsessing over my reference pics & planning the attack.

I am SO doing this bro....

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Feb 1, 2012 4:11 PM

Right on brother, I'm sure you'll pull it off.

This could def lead to some great things, I'm excited for ya and hope for the best.

Carve On Sir!

P

dead tiki!

yeah, I'm drivin' down the road with this one stickin' out the back of my truck not paying attention and some dude pulls up next to me and says "Hey buddy, yer tiki's HEAD POPPED OFF and went BOUNCIN' DOWN THE STREET!!!!"

Ha! Anyway, I'm actually glad. I never liked the body on this one and it has always bothered me.

Anyway, I'm very excited about what's happening at the Tahitian. I drew this out today. About 8 to 9 ft high...

T

Wow, that's a dead tiki for sure. Horrible way to go! :lol:

The Tahitian is crazy cool! You're definitely pulling out all the stops for that one, can't wait to see u finish.

Man your a carv'n machine,look forward to some more progress shots.

WC

That start looks so good you might just clear over it & call it wonderful.
I hate it when my Tiki head falls off too.
Especially when some one else has to tell me.

On 2012-02-02 15:20, pjc5150 wrote:
...some dude pulls up next to me and says "Hey buddy, yer tiki's HEAD POPPED OFF and went BOUNCIN' DOWN THE STREET!!!!"

At least you didn't lose your head :) Are you gonna cut the top off?

P

thanks guys...and yeah, I'm gonna cut the broken part off and fix what's left, and the body is off to the scrap pile...

It's new name is "the roadkill Ku".

and wow...last night my little vintage bike bar-hopping club (the RUST RIDERS) had a big outing. It was a pretty crazy night and I feel like ass this morning, but hey, it looks like I may have a new chick out of the deal. It was a pretty good night!

And now for some coffee and advil....the BREAKFAST of CHAMPIONS!

MH

Looks like you live in my old hood... Is that the heights area? Nice work!

P

yep....RIVERSIDE HEIGHTS baby....that's my hood..

P

Well, today was a cluster-f%%%.

I didn't get a lot done.

And the hotel is 90% occupied so no power tools until Monday....

but I got a little bit of the body roughed out...

P

a little more progress....

a face & a 6 pack!

P

Man....I wanna go DEEP DEEP on this one....

but it's pitched forward so far I'm afraid I'll go one inch too deep, hear the cracking, and ARGHH!!!!!!!

I'm REALLY afraid of cutting much on the back at all....

I'm hoping they let me do another 5 or 6 feet on this one...somewhere between the hand railing & the gutter on the 2nd floor....

I am likeing the eyes

P

got a couple of hours in before I was rained out today...

looking GOOOOOD..... and thank god for the rain......wash some of that pollen out of the air....

nice job man

T

Yep, lookin great!

Looks great!

P

thanks guys.

getting closer...

Look'n pretty rad man!

Are goin to lop the top off or keep stack'n em on?

Looks great!! I bet they are quite pleased!

FYI - the Parrot Heads are having a big shin dig down at Whiskey Joe's on the causeway from March 2nd thru the 4th ... They have about 600 people registered so there will be quite a turn out. I know you have a lot on your plate, but they are offering vendor spaces if you are interested. Don't know the cost but if you want to inquire you can contact this dude:

Music on the Bay http://www.musiconthebay.org

If interested in being a vendor at the event please email Dick Dobbins from the Sarasota club: [email protected]

Tell them Captain Jack from the Tampa club recommended you ... (keeping in mind, that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you talk to!)

If any of you other Florida carvers think this may be something you would be interested in then give them a call!!

Have a Great Day!

P

Well, I'm gonna ask them if they want to do one more dude on top of those 2...

if not, I'm moving on to the big one....

but I'm gonna spend most of tomorrow on it & try to get it done...

And thanks for the info Jack. I'm actually working up a bid for whiskey joe's as we speak...

I might have to check that gig out...

M

I thought this was the big one....

Geez.... no wonder you need Advil

Keep on carvin. Lookin nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

No Andy....

THIS is the big one.

I'm hoping to turn it into one of the biggest tikis in the state.

Anyone know what the biggest tiki in Florida is???

M

This one might be it unless the Mai Kai has a larger one I might have missed. There was a guy that posted a huge trunk of a hardwood down south some years ago.

Happy skinning! :)

Mahalo!

McTiki

P

well, the bottom is almost done...

T

Killer job! How did you cut the letters?? They're really nice!

N

Looks Great! And I agree the letters are looking real cool. Fine work. Stain?

P

Used a dremel with a carbide burr for the letters...

and I have to get it to stop sapping before I stain it.

M

He said "burr".

He's in Florida!

Get it?

Mahalo

McTiki

P

I think we're all gonna be saying "burr" in the morning....

supposed to be in the 30's tonight!!!

And damn... new chick is a drinker. She had me out till 4 last night, so I didn't get anything done at the Tahitian today. She's a flight attendant and she leaves in the morning for a couple of days, so I should be able to get this one done.

M

Right out of a Bogart movie but flails in comparison. Some may live vicariously through your escapades and John D. McDonald~esque descriptions of the many women you have encountered over the many post I have read...

Are you carving tomorrow?

Mahalo Brother

On 2012-02-11 14:26, pjc5150 wrote:
And damn... new chick is a drinker.

Can't wait to see this project finished... The carving, that is.

Bear

P

yeah, it's been a crazy year for sure Andy.

And I'll be back on it today. This thing is wicking water up out of the roots and sapping like crazy so I'm gonna have to create some kind of moisture barrier (gardening sheet plastic under the landscaping pebbles)...but other than that it's going great. Hoping to finish up here today or tomorrow.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies