Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

P

and the big angry kanaloa begins to take shape...

P

ok, made some progress...

P

ok, and now he has arms.

done for the day.

P

my back hurts...

P

Butts are not exactly my specialty.

The latest guy is com'n along nicely,how'd you go at the plant sale?

Way kool

WC

Your trunk's a lil low.
You may need a bumper.

P

Well, I drug the old front yard lono out to the workmate for a little haircut....

but unfortunately his brain had turned to mush, and a full frontal lobotomy was in order...

Will, do I still get extra credit?

P

Wow...there was A LOT of rotton crap in there, way more than I thought. So once I got into it, I was pretty much stuck cutting all of it out...

I'm not sure I'm crazy about this first effort at a "holy headdress", as so now the "big angry lono" looks more like "the retarded reindeer"...but that's ok. You gotta screw some stuff up before you get it right.

Like dad always used to say....."if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!"

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2012 9:16 AM

DOH!

A+ for effort sir.

Did you knuckle it for a density check before skinning it? :)

Mahalo

McTiki

P

Well, after a little chisel work on the eyes so they weren't quite so "plain", and then setting a small fire, back on to the porch he goes...

And the headdress is starting to grow on me...a little.

So anyway, I spoke to my vintage bike parts source today & he indicated that he is up for a little trading, so I need to make some stuff....

P

ok..I had to stain it...

P

looking at that photo I feel like my "tiki body work" has definitely improved in the last year!

Thats where most people struggle. The body is often more important because it sets the posture for the entire figure. The more you do the better (and easier) they get!

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2012 6:02 PM

I think he looks rad!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

thanks guys...and yeah Tom, you're dead on with that assessment. The body thing is dicey, and I've had several pieces that the face & head were great, and the body sucked, so I ended up cuttin' their heads off & tossin' the bodies!

So anyway, back to the Kanaloa. I'm super stoked on this one. And now that I have things "roughed in" so-to-speak, I'm goin' after it with the chisels. I feel like this one, due to it's size & it's price once done, will probably end up at my house. And that's actually a good thing. Out of all the tikis I've made, the only "keepers" I have are the first, the fifth, and my 4th lono. Everything else is what I call a "loosie" (as opposed to an "in-ground") and are for sale. So I think that other than rolling the kanaloa out at the big bartenders guild tiki party on st pete beach in June, it's probably going to be hangin' out in the living room with the aforementioned.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-04-05 10:51 ]

P

ok! I'm pretty happy with the headdress.

I'm ready for a cold one.

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 4:56 PM

Have two that is nice!

P

Thanks brother.

One more before I head out.

Funny, now that the headdress is done the face looks very plain & needs some spiffing up!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-04-06 17:18 ]

awesome

N
NIxxon posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 7:38 PM

Looking great, def a cool head dress on this guy.

Enjoy the cold ones bro!!

Nice grooves on that headdress!! Looks fantastic!

WC

Headdress looks great.
Ya, it shows up the face.
Those teeth, you know what to do!
Carve deeper.
Exacto time.

Lookin' killer! Yeah go deep in the mouth, between the teeth! Give it some more 3D depth.

P

On 2012-04-07 07:59, Will carve wrote:
Headdress looks great.
Ya, it shows up the face.
Those teeth, you know what to do!
Carve deeper.
Exacto time.

yes sir. I'm at about half-chisel deep on the facial features...

will keep working it...

P

so in honor of easter, I made an easter island moai.

to be donated to the fund drive of 88.5 WMNF community radio...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-04-08 18:40 ]

P

mouth detail?

let's do this...

P

Out of daylight!

Face is better...eyes are next...

WC

Good start.
Don't stop now.
push the nose in.
dig the teeth out.
tote that bale
lift that barge.

T

Lookin great! Yeah, I love the headdress too. Gonna be a nice one.

P

yeah, not sure how much "diggin" I'm gonna be able to around the teeth...it's a little soft in there & I already knocked one loose when I was chiseling around in there & I gotta get some glue in there so it doesn't come out.

WC

chiseling,
Ya that will happen.
Use your exacto for that stuff.
you have one right?
It's all in the details.

P

yep. I have the one you gave me!

Look'n good dude!

P

ok...pushed the nose in, rounded the mouth area up a bit, and gouged the chin up a bit. Taking this one up the bar tonight for some eye / mask work. I'm gonna have to glue one of the lower teeth & let that dry before I do anything else to his "purty mouth"...

and here are my latest old bike scores. I traded a few tikis today to my old-bike-guru buddy for some stuff & some work, so I have a few new projects "on the bench":

60's Hawthore, cut & stretched 3 or 4 inches. Needs the welds cleaned up with the grinder, and then some huge ape-hangers & big whitewalls.....future bar-hopper for sure...

'73 Schwinn Varsity, the "Juiced Schwinn", former 10 speed, now a single speed conversion, going to make a really fast, rat-style road bike with white seat, tir, & grip tape when it's done.

60's Dunelt 10 speed "the poor man's pashley" stripping it to the frame, converting to single speed & will get black powder coat, cream tires, and brown leather seat & grips. Basically making a clone of the Pashey Guv'nor (which cost like $1600 new). http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-04-10 13:22 ]

N

Nice work bro...he's lookin real good.

I always like to see the bikes too...very nice change of scenery...lookin forward to seein em finished!

That looks real good &
I didn't feel a thing.

P

you were totally right man.

it just needs a little more....but it's still not quite there. Gotta fix that tooth...

and yeah Nixxy, I gotta throw an old Schwinn or 2 in the mix just to get a rise out of the Aussie (watango)...lol...

here I am at the bar diggin' the lines in deeper before I start v-cuttin' the mask....

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-04-10 21:22 ]

P

carving at the bar is a good thing because, well, other than the fact that there's beer and chicks there, I can't be lazy and use any power tools, so I'm just kinda stranded there with my chisels and I have to just "work it out" with blades. And I really enjoy just doing that.

I've realized for quite some time now that blades are the "enlightened path", but power tools are like a really hot, slutty ex-girlfriend who booty-calls you after 11 when she knows you're just getting home from the pub....hard to resist when you're feeling lazy and want some instant gratification....

anyway, it's 12:30am and I'm not even close to being tired. I think I'll ride my bike up to the citgo and get a few toasted almond popsickles & watch ANCIENT ALIENS reruns (yeah, the flight attendant / new chick has already broken camp & left the building. bummer, kinda like her.)

Do they make you sit outside
at the bar
when you carve?

N

LOL at the comparison of power tools to sluts...love it.

That last pic really shows just how large this piece is...didn't realize it was that big. Looks great.

Oh and WTF is a toasted almond popsicle?

P

Will, I've never actually tried to carve indoors, ever, anywhere.

And Nixxy, toasted almond popsickles are great when I've got the munchies and want some junkfood.

Anyway, the detailing continues...v-cuts and deeper lines...

N

they sound delicious

P

they are delicious.

and WHOA!!!! Good call on the classic gray stain McTiki!!!!

I friggin' love this stuff!!!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-04-11 10:57 ]

P

I donated this tiki & this mask to WMNF, a local radio station, for their spring fund drive...

They're a great station that has Pacifica / NPR news, punk shows, reggae, etc...so it's pretty much my favorite station.

http://www.wmnf.org/

P

gettin after that mask!

N

Lookin good Jeff...def bringing everything out with each the depth...what color is this masterpiece going to be?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies