Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

Lookin good bruddah

P

thanks boys,

and here's my buddy's son over here...

STEALIN' MY DAMNED JOB!!!

P

well, the girl I was seeing pretty much bailed. I swear, the crazy useless ones love me, and the nice ones always make an early exit, and that blows!

On a lighter note, I feel like this ku is coming together nicely.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-05-01 22:59 ]

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, May 2, 2012 6:51 AM

Oh Yea. Lookin really good bro. Def starting to come alive.

P

Very nice work on the Ku, keep going on that one, excellent work so far...

Paul

P

thanks guys.

and here's a 5 foot moai ridin' a scooter.

commissioned piece for a local scooter dealership. nice lady, I want her to be stoked, and this is kind of a fun piece.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-05-02 11:45 ]

P

stained, now I gotta paint the scooter....

P

this guy cracks me up.

I hope she let's me do some more of these because they're just fun. looking forward to painting the scooter part tomorrow....

M
McTiki posted on Wed, May 2, 2012 5:09 PM

Nice! So can you add a set of boo handlebars?

That is rad!

She'll be stoked!

Mahalo

McTiki

Dude,
I think your Moai escaped, it just flew past me on I-15 do 90 mph in the fast lane
heading towards the Vegas strip. I tried to catch him but he tossed wood chips
out on the road n gave me a flat...

Looks awesome...

P

Andy you're readin' my mind..

and hang10, he actually has a twin brother who's a fugitive from justice and was last seen just outside of Salt Lake City....

so yeah, that was probably him...

P

done!

bamboo handlebars and all!

Super cool!!

A
amate posted on Thu, May 3, 2012 12:12 PM

That's about as cool as it gets!!! :D

P

yeah the new owner seems super excited about it & wants it delivered like, yesterday....

Nice work on the Modai.:) ya ku's look'n pretty kool aswell,

P

and thanks for all the props boys...

mucho appreciado...

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, May 3, 2012 4:51 PM

your stuff just keeps getting better and better...stay on top of that creative curve.

awesome job.

Ha ha! like it.

Outta site! Very cute and strangely appropriate.

B

Cool Moped Moai. love it.

P

thanks guys. the scooter moai was a big hit.

A guy saw it on facebook & commissioned a "pilot moai" which will be just like the scooter moai, but he'll be flying a little bi-plane...

I'm pretty stoked. My business seems to be taking off...several commissions and a project on Davis Island on the scale of the big Tahitian.

it's either a date or a canary...not sure, but it's big, it's dead, and it's beggin' to be a tiki...

stay tuned....

C
cy posted on Sat, May 5, 2012 10:11 AM

It sure is fun for me to live vicariously in Jeff's World, a reality series would be bonus! Scooter tiki looks awesome and can't wait to see how you attach wings to the bi-plane. Great work!

P

yeah funny you say that about the reality show...it's been brought up a few times...

I'm a crazy person. If I had money and a budget I'd be a very dangerous man.

So here's today's score:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bike...

1972 Raleigh Sport 3 speed. I'm putting a lovely brown brooks saddle & matching grips, and some tan/cream tires & clean it up a little, oldschool wire basket, etc...serious gaston/dover treatment, and it will be mom's mother's day present. When I get motivated, I can put together a pretty stylish bike, and this one is going to be stunning.

Moms are awesome. It's been a wild year of both big ups and big downs, and had it not been for my mom getting on board with this whole "artist" thing, I'd be out on the streets livin' outa my truck or worse. I'm back on track and catching back up, but I really wanted to give her something nice for mother's day.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-05-05 12:46 ]

P

blink your eyes around here and weird things happen.

and then there were 2. what are the chances I'd end up with 2 of the same bike in the same day???

bizarro.

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, May 5, 2012 2:07 PM

Nice bro...glad to hear things are going well. Keep up the enthusiasm and you will have no boundaries!!

P

yeah Nixxy...I'm on it brother.

Waves this week...2 days of glass?

anyway, I have cleared most of the bikes out of the dining room and moved my stuff inside. This is so awesome...it's like 12 feet from the couch so I can just constantly be chipping away...

the head dress on this ku is gonna be rad!

P

I'm takin' that all the way down, and then doing another layer of beaded stuff on top it....

yep.

P

I had to do something with the nose. it was bugging me...

it's 2:00am...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-05-05 23:12 ]

Very nice, dude!! He's looking like the perfect God of War!

P

thanks Chris...I'm actually pretty stoked on this guy.

I did a lot of ku's for awhile & I just felt like I was doing the same thing over and over, so I just kinda stopped doing them for a bit, but during my run in Anna Maria 6 months ago it was my signature piece. But when I really started looking at pics of the actual Ku's, like in Hawaii, it hit me that I really wasn't giving enough.

So, my new "bar" is that I don't want to make any "Hawaiian" tikis that would look out of place in Hawaii, or that the Hawaiians themselves would not view as truly honoring their culture.

The most important thing to me has become progression. I am consumed by it. Anyway, I need to get started on the next character Moai..."the pilot"...

N
NIxxon posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 9:46 AM

Wow dude...progression is definitely evident in this one...looking awesome! Keep it up, very excited to see this guy complete.

This guy is looking Sick!! (in a good way!)

P

a happy little plant tiki for mother's day...

P

here's an old one I drug out of the corner & gave new life as a "plumeria tiki"...

this one of the first ten tikis I crved.

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, May 9, 2012 3:10 PM

Sweet!

Caught Playa Linda this morning bout chest high and HOLLOW!! Tons of fun. The forecast kinda fizzled but Playa Linda held the swell and provided for a great morning session.

We'll have to catch the next one...

P

yeah, I was planning on going but everyone cheesed out on me...and I didn't wanna drop the $100 in gas it would have cost me to make the trip.

Carvin inside at 2am
Wow
U da man
I was sawing non tiki logs at 2am

P

"It's 2am, the fear is gone...

sittin' here waitin', the gun's still warm..."

P

hmmm....SURF SOUL TIKI, TAMARINDO, COSTA RICA....

I kinda like the sound of that....

sweet work bro. these are great, Id love to try a full size piece like these one day.

Love the work truly inspiring

P

hey thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

So yeah, wow. My head is kinda spinning. One of my buddy's who is an art promoter brought this guy to my live carve gig the other day, and the guy is basically from a fairly affluent family who owns a big surf resort in Tamarindo, Costa Rica, and we're sort of discussing the possibility of moving my tiki operation down there. They've got several hundred acres of exotic hardwoods, and they're pretty much right there in a prime surf spot with lots of breaks. This would basically be the realization of a dream for me. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, and business is picking up, so if it doesn't happen that's ok. But if it did....wow...

That sounds amazing! Good luck...

thats insane what a op! congrats hope all works out the best for you

M

I hate you Jeff! :)

Well done if it comes to fruition!

Mahalo

McTiki

On 2012-05-11 06:39, McTiki wrote:
I hate you Jeff! :)

+1

When opportunity knocks!

P

yeah, it seems too good to be true so it probably is.

I'm definitely not going to make a big deal about it until it happens. I've kissed plenty of f'n frogs & I try not to ever get excited about money until the check has been deposited AND clears...

But hey, I just got my boat back, and I'm way stoked about that...I haven't had it in the water in almost a year...putting the new stereo & speakers in today (since I blew the whole system on the last camping trip)...lots of good times have been had by many on this boat, and everyone is asking me about going, so IT'S ON. Bring on the drunk bikini chicks!!!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-05-12 09:48 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies