Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

M

Ho Boat must be Tikified!

That is all

Mahalo

McTiki

P

yes, was gonna have my buddy cheeta do a wavescape deal around the side panels & start collecting up some bamboo to cover up all the aluminum railing...

M

Atta boy! Gotta throw in some WWII honeys on the front quarters like the bombers had!

Stay Tiki!

Mahalo

McTiki

[ Edited by: mctiki 2012-05-14 03:35 ]

N

TIKIFIED HO BOAT...LOL I like it!!

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2012-05-14 07:19 ]

P

lol, so yeah, here we go with the next character moai.

this one's gonna be a pilot, complete with a little airplane & and coconut shell headset...

stay tuned...

P

something else I'm working on...

this is a speargun rack I'm making for a buddy.

Driftwood plank I found, my other friend painted a hogfish snapper on it, I'm gonna lay a rope in that groove, and mount the spearguns "dualing pistol" style....

Lookin good! Very creative on the coconut shell headset idea .... lookin forward to seeing this guy!

i can't wait to see the cross spear guns

Mr. idea man
sweet...

P

hehe, Ok so the "airplane moai is coming along...

basically his base is going to be a square peg that slides into a square hole in the biplane. Rough-chainsawed fuselage.

got the HO BOAT on the water yesterday and scored some cool driftwood...even this ENTIRE DRIFTWOOD LOG.....hmmmm, I wonder what I should do with that?

a little more work on the ku. I have several commissioned pieces I need to bust out, and they're not simple ones, so I really need to get to work...

Looks nice .... keep choppin at em!

P

thanks Chris...

here's the beginning of the cutting the lines around the mouth..

Impressive detail.

M

Ahhhhhh steady handed ninja.....nice scratches! I now believe your Bi Plane Moai will be kick ass! Thought the plan was to use the Moai's base for da plane. Now I see the plan!

Mahalo left coaster!

McTiki

P

well, that whole "left coaster" status may be changing.

I shook hands with one of the owners of Pura Aventura in Costa Rica this evening, and they're flying me down the first week of July. Planning on staying a month or 2. I am super excited about this...from some of the pics I've seen, it looks like they have some really beautiful exotic hardwoods to work with...and the waves are really good, so yeah...I'm a little in shock right now...

M

Holy Bucket list! Huge opportunity!

Ride this ride called life....Like you stole it!

Shakas to you bro! Earned!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

a lot of rings on this driftwood log!

no idea what kind of wood...cypress maybe???

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-05-17 13:55 ]

Work dat magic bruddah

Take it to the mill and make planks out of it - I can only imagine the grain! People pay big $$ for sunken logs. It will give you more pieces of wood to carve too.

P

yeah, my neighbor came over and said it might actually be worth money.

I think I need to go look for more driftwood...

Wow. All your projects look really good! Congrats on the Costa Rica gig - I hope it pans out for you!!!

I need to back up a bit and just say how AWESOME the Moai scooter is. It's the beez-neez in my book. You totally nailed the "fun" aspect of that carving, right down to the expression on the moai's face. It looks like a giant wind up toy!!!!

Really dig how the speargun rack will look too.

Keep 'em coming!

A
amate posted on Sat, May 19, 2012 4:53 PM

On 2012-05-19 13:48, Polynesiac wrote:
I need to back up a bit and just say how AWESOME the Moai scooter is.

Have I said ditto yet?

P

hey thanks guys.

After a little bit reflection, I have decided to pass on the Costa Rica deal. As excited as I have tried to be about it, the offer they made was nothing like I expected, and I just can't afford it.

Being broke, and the lost opportunities that result from it are disappointing sometimes.

And I think I did my last art show today. They're a pain in the ass & I get sick of talking to all the "tire kickers" that they attract. I'm not doing very well at this whole "artist" thing.

I think I may just need to get a regular job and be miserable like everyone else!

N

I have said it before and I will say it again...nothing worth having comes easy. Keep your head up and charge on. A job is a great thing to have for steady income...there is no denying that...I am certainly guilty as charged. But find something that still allows you time to express your talents and work towards your ultimate goal...don't ever settle my friend.

Sorry to hear that things are bum'n you out at the moment bro but ya just gotta keep on truck'n,
being an artist can be a pretty tough gig at times but it's the struggle which makes us who we are.
FIGHT THE POWER!

M

"Surf Soul Tiki & Tree Service" Heh!

There ya go!

I struggle with driving 100 Miles per day, tending to domestics at home and maybe squeezing some solace of shaping wood at some point in a given week. I feel ya man. Now get out of that funk.

Mahalo

McTiki

P

well, strangely enough I woke up this morning feeling better. I've been letting a lot of this peripheral stuff affect me that I should just ignore.

So I'm going back to work this morning and noty worrying about other stuff. I barely got anything done last week, so here we go.

The pilot Moai needs to fly out of here soon, the big Davis Island piece is almost skinned & ready for the draw, and I've got 2 serious commissions to bust out. Let's see how much of that I can get done this week.

Thats the way to bounce back. Focus on the positive! If you need cash in your pocket get a part-time gig - maybe landscaping/tree service. At the least, it could be a good source of wood!

P

Hey Tom, I am definitely coming down for my grandfather's birthday on June 1st, and plan on staying for like a week, so hopefully I'll be seeing you guys soon. Shoot me your number in a pm....you may have given it to me before but it's not in my phone...

P

ok, I am glad to report that I was able cut these lines without breaking anything...

and this one's shaved, next up I'm grinding it off for a draw-out.

Hey PJ, glad you're not giving up, you come across idiots in every job, at least this way you get to spend more time carving...;]

P

ok, smoothed out the bi-plane's fuselage & cut in a cockpit...

If I get half as many laughs out of this one as I did the scooter Moai, it'll be a win.

N

Super cool bro...That looks like a fun piece to carve.

The KU is looking great as well...your attention to detail is really starting to show in this one...anxious to see it complete!!

M

Oh yeah!

Nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

well, cut some wings & a tail-wing.

Here's the mock-up...

Still need to make a propeller.

P

this head dress is a pain in the ass!

keeps chipping...

N

Lookin better and better each time...

Scored head high Playalinda for a few hours this morning...offshore and firing!! Super fun.

We gota make it out in the water together sometime this hurricane season :)

P

yeah, I rode out with a buddy of mine to O-club and got some INSANE waves this morning.

Just got home. I am BEAT!!!

N

Nice...yea it was definitely a workout today. Glad to hear you got to have some fun.

M

Berylin today for sure! Glad you got some!

Mahalo

McTiki

N

LOL!! Berylin!! I like it McTiki )

P

haha...nice Andy.

But yeah, I am plum tuckered out!

Da new stuff looks great
Waves!!??!!! Send one out to me in Vegas please

Flying Moai?? ha ha, cool.
Enjoy those tasty storm waves!

P

WINNING!

It's all I do....

N

Style points on that one for sure!!

P

ok! the pilot moai's plane is finished.

Now I just gotta stain the tiki & make some headgear for him....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies