Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

The pic (and your work) is awesome bro. Gettin a shitload of em done. The dog is cool, is he a full pit. I have a boxer-pit mix. Great dogs. Keep up the good work!

P

Jack - no, the mouth is not a continuous circle, but close.

Everyone else, thanks for the props.

...and "Dinky" is a full American Bulldog. She's going to be 8 in July, and I've had her since 8 weeks. That's my baby.

...the flying dog is "Busker", a little rat terrier I got from a rescue organization. He's a trip.

Anyway, I pulled up to my secret spot, and was greeted by this nice pile of future tikis. I even had the trailer hooked up to my pathfinder, so I totally scored. I probably pulled 3/4 of a ton of wood.

L

On 2010-05-27 11:55, pjc5150 wrote:

Very nice picture, well here you are surrounded with your beautiful family Tiki.
Your pose remind me a cover EP of Minor Threat.

J.

Nice work! I wish I had time to crank out tikis like you. I'm also very jealous of your secret spot for palm logs. 8)
If you keep producing tikis at this rate, you'll be like the Buzzy of the east coast. Keep'em coming!

B

Excellent photo of you with all yer stuff, Man I'll tell you what, you might even learn how to do this Tiki stuff if you aren't careful, then everyone would want one and you'd have no time for fun.... No Wait, Carving tiki IS Fun, COOOL!

P

a little off topic but wanted to share...

I dig plumerias & hibiscuses (and just about anything else tropical) & met a nice lady in Wesley Chapel who has an exotic hibiscus farm, and I got some killer ones.

I think this one is called a "Tahitian Fire Walker". I'm about to skin a 7 footer to do a big cement- based Marquesian for the front yard, and I'm going to plant these around the base. I'm stoked!

P

Well, it was one year yesterday that I started making tikis.

In the foreground is the tiki I made yesterday, and in the background is my first tiki, which I made a year ago yesterday.

And another of my exotic hibiscuses bloomed over the weekend as well.

Life is good!

P

NICE work, congrats on the first anniversary of carving, what a nice improvement from starting to current, you've obviously got some skills going on. Keep up the good work.

Another note, does the lady sell hibiscus online? If so, what's the site address?

Mahalo!!

Paul

P

Hey man, not sure if she sells online or not, but here's a link that has a contact phone at the top and some pics.

http://unbelievablehibiscus.blogspot.com/

S

Right on! Love the profile pic and congrats on the 1 year.
Now if we could only compete with Benzart.

P

Had a little shindig at my house last night (tiki tuesday) and raffled off a couple of pieces (pictured below).

The helmet tiki was one I did a while back, and the other one I whipped out last night in about and hour & a half to two hours (it's pretty wet so it didn't torch well. Gonna have to touch it up a bit when it dries). Congrats to Jay & Cara, and their new tikis.

P

Did a few quickies for a friend of mine's pool area.

....AND....my latest craigslist score: 9"7 old school O'Hare. I am over the moon about this board. CAN'T WAIT to get it wet!!!!

Wow Nice score! That's a beautiful board. Craigslist rules. The tikis are lookin good too.

P

Yeah, I'm super stoked. Always wanted an old O'Hare, and I only paid 425 bones! As far as old school longboard shapers on the east coast, in my eyes Pat O'Hare is pretty much "the man". Used to shape for Greg Noll in the 50's before he relocated to Cocoa Beach.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-06-15 09:22 ]

S

Nice on the tikis and the 3stringer!

P

Thanks guys.

Did another poolside piece for my friend Lauren (her 3rd). So her pool area is becoming quite the little tiki oasis.

This one is holding a torch, but the torch fire didn't photograph very clearly.

Very cool stuff PJC! And watch out for tar-balls.

Very nice work!! ... is that a tiki carve I see on the bottom of that palm in the background?

P

That's actually the tiki in the 2nd pic up from the surfboard pic, in front of a tree.

Thanks for the props guys.

S

Nice! Are you sure Lauren just wants tikis? :)

^ HAHA Seeks.
Nice job Guy.

P

Well seek,

Her girlfriend is a lot better looking than I am, so somehow I doubt it!!! :wink:

B

WILD lookin tiki thre PJ the lighting on that guy really brings out his personality.

You have a great style! I would love to come check out your work sometime in person sometime!

P

Hey Penn, come by anytime.

I'm usually out on the front porch with the dogs drinkin' a beer with the dust flyin' and the reggae blarin'.

It's always nice to have some company.

P

This week's creation:

And I sold a few tikis this week, so I have actually recovered about half of my entire tiki-tool expenses of the last year, so I'm pretty stoked.

I've been trolling craigslist & threw an ad in there in the barter section to see if I could scoop up some old longboards, motorcycles or whatever, & some dude called from my ad & has commissioned me to build him a tiki mailbox post for his house. A few more pieces sold and I'm out of the red & into the black (which is great considering the fact that I never really intended to sell anything in the beginning)!

I'm holding you to it! Next time I plan to come to Tampa I'm stopping to see you! Hopefully I can pick up a tiki from you! (that is if the wifey allows! LOL!) Seriously, it's nice to see a (semi) local doing good work, and I really would love to put one of your tikis in our lanai or yard!

N

Your progress is amazing, youv'e inspired me to get back into it

B

Cool stuff...
I'd be screaming too if you lit MY foot on fire!!

P

Well, my friend had a big Luau style shin-dig at her pool and asked me to do a tiki demo. So I made this one & we raffled it off.

In addition to this, I drank half a bottle of cheap tequila, broke a boomerang on some chick's butt (she wanted to be spanked.....why I used a boomerang? I'm not sure), and my friend Joe had to go to the hospital after dislocating his hip doing the splits (what guy does that???). It was a fun party.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

On 2010-07-12 07:08, pjc5150 wrote:
Well, my friend had a big Luau style shin-dig at her pool and asked me to do a tiki demo. So I made this one & we raffled it off.

In addition to this, I drank half a bottle of cheap tequila, broke a boomerang on some chick's butt (she wanted to be spanked.....why I used a boomerang? I'm not sure), and my friend Joe had to go to the hospital after dislocating his hip doing the splits (what guy does that???). It was a fun party

LMAO! Now that's a party!

Dude! Your work is killer!

I'm and old-school Tampa resident, now in Brooklyn, and I'm glad to hear you're selling stuff. Alot of my friends down there are into the whole lifestyle, so who knows maybe one day I'll see some of your work in person!

P

Yeah bro, that would be cool.

Here's one I'm working on now.

P

Well, here's what I got done this weekend.

So, I have a new chick, and she digs the tikis. So basically she chills at the pool while I make sawdust. It's working out nicely. And I caught some really, really nice little tubes last Sunday in Cocoa Beach. All in all, August has been a pretty good month! Here's a link to a pic of last week's waves. Fun stuff. Perfect longboard waves.

http://www.gulfster.com/Daily/2010PictureGallery/8810ec/8810ec.html

N

Great Carves really unique expressions.

P

Thanks bro.

Your stuff is coming along nicely too.

Trying to get a sunshade and a generator so I can take my operation on the road.

My front yard looks like a woodshop exploded out there.

dig that new toothy guy. And as a native Floridian for the first 24 of my 29 years on this planet yes, for the love of all that is just and good in this world, get a sun shade!

P

I hear you bro (and thanks for the props on the new tikis).

But yeah, here lately it's been hotter than 2 rats screwing in a wool sock up in the attic on the 4th of July.

Gawd. Looks like I'm doing a tiki demo at a surf shop grand opening tomorrow. Should be fun (if I don't keel over dead from heat stroke)!

On 2010-08-20 11:32, pjc5150 wrote:
I hear you bro (and thanks for the props on the new tikis).

But yeah, here lately it's been hotter than 2 rats screwing in a wool sock up in the attic on the 4th of July.

Gawd. Looks like I'm doing a tiki demo at a surf shop grand opening tomorrow. Should be fun (if I don't keel over dead from heat stroke)!

My bets on heat stroke, haha

P

Yeah, wow. Hung over AND making tikis in the hot sun?

Uhhh, not my favorite.

Anyway, here is the surfboard tiki I made for my buddy Steve's surf shop: "Liquid Soul".

...and here's a link to his shop. Steve makes some pretty nice boards, and is one of the most stoked people I know.

http://www.liquidsoulsurfco.com/

T

On 2010-08-23 09:59, pjc5150 wrote:
Yeah, wow. Hung over AND making tikis in the hot sun?

Try the heat and humidity down here in Houston. :lol:

Anyways - good stuff- how about a close up of the surfin tiki???

P

yeah, I know all about Texas heat. Did a summer in San Antonio, and Hell itself has a milder climate than Texas.

Gawd!

...and yeah, when I'm over there again I'll take some better shots.

P

So here's what I did Tuesday & Wednesday. This is for a friend, commissioned by another friend, for her going away party.

Got inspired by Lake Tiki's gouge work and decided to go all chisel on this one. Everyone at the party was stoked & seemed to like it. I think I'm going to start doing more chisel-only stuff. Harder and more time-consuming, but very rewarding. I definitely learned some things making this one. My next one will be better.

P

Latest piece. Trading it to a dude restoring a bike for me.

He wanted "angry".

Anyway, looks like two of the best surfing days of the year are on tap for the east coast Friday & Saturday, from Hurricane Earl and Tropical Storm Fiona. I'm all over it.

N

I love that last one

P

My first Moai!

Pretty stoked.

S

Nice work on your 1st Moai and the surf tiki.

P

Moai #2 & #3

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-09-10 07:59 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies