Name:Castaways Motel
Type:Motel
Street:
City:Sanibel Island
State: FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

I have this postcard from Mitchell's Cataways Motel on Sanibel Island. A cool A Frame feature at the motel entrance.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-07-08 15:33 ]

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-07-08 15:36 ]

Nice card Dusty. I have been past the Castaways many many times. It is a great little place. I used to live down that way. Here's a current pic and the website. http://www.castawayssanibel.com/

ha!! i've actually been here and never knew it had a tiki history...we used to vacation alot on sanibel and captiva throughout the eighties and nineties.....i always assumed it was just part of florida style architecture you see all over down there....would never have thought it had a former identity as a vintage tiki haunt....sanibel always seemed too current and isolated to actually have something like that, unlike the mainland thoroughfare that had tons of old hotels and such...guess i better look more closely at things when i happen across them in the future...

UT

Ft. Myers beach still has the Tahitian Inn not to far from Sanibel and Marco Island had a city wide Polynesian theme envisioned by the Mackle brothers of the Deltona Corp. in it's early days with the Voyager Restaurant and the country club and many other city owned buildings. All this within a couple hours of drive time of each other. Still some good finds to be had down that way for those who like to dig in past.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-07-09 18:19 ]

Trav and Tipsy,

Thanks for the input. Cool that the place is still there.

Here is another card I have from the Castaways Restaurant on Sanibel Island. I
thought at first they may have been related, but not.

Any intel on this one??

DC

Dusty,

Could you post a close-up of the restaurant building? Thanks.

This maybe the place. Now the Mad Hatter Restaurant. Located just across the street from the Castaways A-frame. The building looks right as does the location on the castaways property which I believe is on booth sides of the road. Here is a street view. And a link to the restaurant. http://www.madhatterrestaurant.com/

And a eye in the sky view. Red arrow for the Mad Hatter (Castaways Restaurant) and blue for the A-frame.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-07-11 05:30 ]

I know Savage Sissy lives not too far from Sanibel. I may be able to get her to do a little expedition and see what remains (if anything) at the site.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-07-11 19:45 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies