Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Tahitian Lounge , Vero Beach Florida, Vero Beach, FL (bar)

Pages: 1 8 replies

BD

Name:The Tahitian Lounge , Vero Beach Florida
Type:bar
Street:Ocean Ave.
City:Vero Beach
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This was a vintage polynesian/tiki beachside lounge, which was still open into the late 1980's. Was located in a small 1950's strip center, across from the beach. Decor was simple wood picnic tables, lots of rattan and bamboo. I remember at least 2 larger tiki's in the doorway, as well as some behind the bar. Drinks were fantastic and cheap. Small place, just one room. Had great old patina on everything, as it was never remodeled. Still looked like a 1950's place inside.

[ Edited by: Bahama Don 2009-07-09 19:23 ]

BD

This was one of my favorite places, back in the 80's. Used to go there alot, when I lived up in Melbourne. FL. It had such old, throwback vibe. During the 80's places like that were so out of style, we all marveled that it was still around, and busy. Every summer sailing trip I did always had a stop at the Vero City Marina, as it was only 3 blocks or so from the Tahitian. This was one of those low key, local places, that kept tiki/polyneisan style alive, during the "Bad Years" when it was not "cool".

V

Hi,
We moved to Vero Beach 7 years ago from Miami. Where exactly was the Tahitian Lounge on Ocean Drive? I was wondering what was built there now. Too bad it is gone, Vero needs a cool funky bar. Right now Waldo's in the Driftwood Inn is the only bar with character around. Thanks!!

Its been along time, but I seem to remember it being a little south of the pier, on the west side of the road. It was in an old cinder block 1950's building, with a couple of other shops attached. I think it was a white and blue building, fairly close to the road. I remember there was a regular who used to sit at the bar and weave palm thatch hats and birds. I also recall summers being busier, as it was the local hangout for the college kids, home from school.
I believe they tried to move The Tahitian to the mainland, around 1990, but it did not last long.
The Tahitian Lounge and The Big Bamboo Lounge(in Kissimmee) were always favorites of my group, as they were such hold outs from the old days. That era was all about modern flash, and tiki places were decidedly out of date, and thought to be tacky. It's a shame that places like that made it into the 80's and 90's, but died just before the re-discovery of Tiki.

V

Thanks--I'll also ask some of the people who have been around here a long time. That guy who wove hats and birds from palm fronds is still here, doing the same thing--just a little older!! Some things don't change. Oh well, maybe someday we will get our share of Tiki here in Vero.

M

Wow, what a shocker, this was my fathers lounge, Bob Eglin. I was reading all the posts and what a wonderful way to spend a few fond memories. One of the posts says something like "the guy that used to make the birds" That's Bibble and anyone from Vero from the 60-70's probably has a "Bibble Bird" hanging in their house somewhere. Wow, totally unreal. Thanks for the memories. R.Craig Eglin [email protected]

Bibble, thats right! I could not remember his name. Man, I am amazed he's still around. I still have a bird he made me, on night, at The Tahitian, back in 1987.
Your dads bar was one of the coolest spots on the coast in those days. Ahh, to be young and back there again. Made alot of great memories there. Glad to know it is not forgotten!!

V

mustsea1--Do you know what business is in the Tahitian's location now? Just curious and wanted to see what's there now. Bibble now mostly hangs at Waldo's and Mulligans. He gave me a woven bowl not too long ago, as we planted coconut palms at Sexton Plaza (by the Ocean Grill). Some of the old Vero is still left!

M

VeroTiki - I believe it's a dress shop (but there was also one next to it), so. If your on the North side of the Driftwood, the south driveway from the old Howard Johnsons is directly in front of the window. The road off Ocean Dr on the corner was Joe's Barbershop, then the Tahitian's package store, then the bar itself. I'm going to be in town around the 7th of Aug, I'll be going by there. Ciao for now and thanks everyone for the great memories

Pages: 1 8 replies