Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

1963 Hawaiian Vacation

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

I recently acquired a 46 page scrapbook which chronicles a couple's two week, four island Hawaiian vacation in May 1963. The scrapbook is filled with so many delightful mementos of this trip that I thought I'd post the whole thing rather than just the tiki highlights.

The book is so old that unfortunately the contents have been extremely difficult to extract, but they must come out since the pages are starting to disintegrate.

A trip like this was such an event back in 1963 that the first two pages mainly consist of Bon Voyage cards. I wish there was some record of what the gifts were that went along with these cards and notes as one of them really piqued my interest.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

For those of you familiar with Oceanic Arts, I'm sure you've realized that this scrapbook belonged to Bob Van Oosting's parents. I asked Bob's permission before posting this, and he said that his mother would have loved to have seen this book shared with a group of people who could truly appreciate it.

Stay tuned for pages and pages of photos, brochures, itineraries and menus. I'll continue posting as I continue to work these items out of the book.

I intend to reassemble the book when I'm done in order to keep the collection complete while preserving its contents.

wow, what a wonderful set of mementos, back then when people family's took trips, it was something to savor and remember and document.

very nice kate!

Amy

T

Wow! This is fantastic! I love the art on those corny old bon voyage cards, really classic stuff. Can't wait to see more.

I stopped 1/2 way and said to myself...wait, I know that name.

Totally Cool!!!

This is great! Lookin' forward to seeing the whole book.

The greeting cards made for people heading off on trips are interesting scraps from a bygone era. Travel has become so common these days I think the idea of giving someone a "Have a nice trip!" card would seem odd. (I also really dig the graphics on these cards.)

That time capsule fell into the right hands!

I got a few more pages worth of material scanned this evening. So many of these items are incredibly fragile. It's been quite the task to remove them. I love that Mrs. Van Oosting filled in the spaces on the pages with pictures from books and magazines.

While reading through the Sightseeing Program & Optional Tours list on Page 6, I was thinking about what an amazing trip this must have been. I'm not too sure about the after-dinner viewing of Skid Row though.

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

J

this very neat. they are my grandparents and i never even saw these. thanks for putting them up, i cant wait to see more.
Jennifer Van Oosting Allen

On 2009-07-20 21:34, jensme wrote:
this very neat. they are my grandparents and i never even saw these. thanks for putting them up, i cant wait to see more.

I'm so glad that you're enjoying this.

I was able to remove and scan another page this morning. The Van Oostings stayed at the Biltmore in Waikiki which was later imploded to make room for the Hyatt Regency.

Page 7

This brochure was a smidge too large for my printer, so I did the best that I could with scanning it.

Page 8

That last image also appears on a United Airlines travel poster, but reversed:

I've also seen the same photo on a record cover, as well as this version, with the girl clipped-out:

A

Thank you Tiki-Kate and Sabu and others for raising the signal to noise ratio here lately.

What I mean is, it's refreshing to see these threads quietly being populated with more imagery and fun info, amidst the noise and the usual trolling etc. on many other threads.

Noise can be fun too, but lately I get more pleasure out of a quiet village.

-Randy

On 2009-07-23 17:57, aquarj wrote:
Noise can be fun too, but lately I get more pleasure out of a quiet village.

You and me both, Randy.

I finished a few more pages. The place mat from Marion's on Page 10 was way too big for my scanner, so I had to do it in two scans. I'm sure there's a way to get them to match up, but I just wasn't up to the task today.

Page 9

Page 10

On 2009-07-22 09:08, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I was able to remove and scan another page this morning. The Van Oostings stayed at the Biltmore in Waikiki which was later imploded to make room for the Hyatt Regency.

Kate, thanks, this post conclusively answers my question I had a while back about the home of this menu:

On 2009-05-20 16:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

A friend brought me a B&W xerox of an UNKNOWN Honululu restaurant interior and asked me if I would recognize it:

I did not, but I recognized the girl:

Not the girl on the left, but the Hula dancer on the menu cover on the right. I have seen that menu before, it is lime green/yellow/brown and it is from the ....Kailua Room? Leilani Lounge? Waikiki Room? I cannot recall, WHO knows?

Nice decor for just a coffee shop.

I had time to get one more page done this morning.

Page 11

The Sky-View Eleven was on the back of one of the other pictures. It was too cool not to include.

Cool, Kate solved the mystery of Bigbro's black and white photo.

A hotel coffee shop, go figure!

DC

The next page had an odd item on it. The photo of Diamond Head was not taken on this trip but in 1960 and was sent to the Van Oostings by someone named Mary Lou.

Page 12

Wow, the gardens at the Chines place look great...the whole place does! Something tells it's not like that anymore...
And someone please find a similar view photo of Diamond Head, but from the 90s, and do a comparison post :D

On 2009-07-26 21:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
And someone please find a similar view photo of Diamond Head, but from the 90s, and do a comparison post :D

:lol:

Page 13

Page 14

Thanks Kate! Someday I'll post my 1980 trip to Hawaii, but it'll not be as special as this!

I'm really glad that so many people are enjoying this thread.

Page 15

Page 16

M

On 2009-07-26 21:38, bigbrotiki wrote:

This one is kind of close:

LT

On 2009-07-28 16:28, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I'm really glad that so many people are enjoying this thread.

I believe Coconut Island was used for the opening/closing shots of Gilligan's Island.

Page 17

This next page has some of my favorite graphics. I love those Dole pineapple girls.

I got a good laugh from the suntan lotion manufacturer telling users to apply more after they're done in the sun for the day to moisturize the skin and from the pride that Dole took in the massive amounts of spraying that they did on their crops.

Page 18

Page 19

Page 20

L

On 2009-07-20 21:34, jensme wrote:

Hey Tiki-Kate did you offer to give Jennifer this scrapbook since these are her relatives? Or did you get it from someone else related to the family?

Nice to see all these images but if I was Jennifer I would personally like to keep something like this in the family--since it seems like the girl didnt even know it existed in the first place.

I just know if my grandparent's Hawaiian vacation album (which I own now) ended up anywhere outside my family I would try to get it back since..well they are related to me.

I was just curious .

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-31 18:41 ]

Nice One Lady! :roll:

Thanks for putting an awkward speed bump into an interesting thread. Questions like that are much better in PM form but I know you have to comment on every thread ever so it probably didn't occur to you.

Hopefully we'll get to see more.

Wow, The Willows, Ulu MauVillage, Dole... they didn't leave anything out, did they. Four islands in two weeks, this must have been a fully travel agency arranged vacation. A text book Hawaii scrap book, I'd say. The balance between photos, personal mementos and brochure graphics is just perfect. After such a trip, no wonder one wanted to continue the fun on the mainland.

Z

Kate, thanks for all your work on posting this scrapbook!

Awesome trip down memory lane.

Zulu

J
jensme posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 7:55 PM

this is great, I'm really enjoying seeing this, especially the photos of my grandparents, they look so young and happy. this trip was 3 years before i was born. thanks again for sharing.

Jennifer VanOosting Allen

T

I went to Oceanic Arts yesterday and had a nice talk with Bob. He told me how much he and his brother are enjoying this thread.

I'm glad that so many people are getting the opportunity to see the scrapbook.

Page 21

Page 22

Page 22

I

What a great collection Kate. Hawaii is a very special place. No wonder they held on to the memories for so long. Now we can enjoy them. Thank you for posting.

T

Page 24

Page 25

AF

Kate,
I know it takes time to do this, so thank you! It's really great that you've shared it with all TCers.

That last postcard is amazing! Is it a Mike Roberts?

T

On 2009-08-03 18:07, A frame wrote:
That last postcard is amazing! Is it a Mike Roberts?

It's the Kona Coast Hotel, and it's not a Mike Roberts. There's definitely at least one Mike Roberts card that I'll be posting in the next few days though.

CL

Amazing stuff! Thanks for posting this Kate!

Kate, really great stuff, thank you for posting it all, I appreciate it and everyone is really enjoying it all!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-04 11:59 ]

T

Page 26

Page 27

T

Page 28

Page 29

T

Page 30

Page 31

Page 32

TWO

Amazing stuff Kate, Thank you for taking the time to post it. It is so easy to imagine that scrapbook coming from anyone of my relatives trips to Hawaii. Sadly, my family's are long gone.
Keep 'em coming.

T

Page 33

Page 34

Page 35

T

Page 36

Page 37

T

Page 38

Page 39

Page 40

Page 41

Wow, Kate!

Talk about saving the best for last. That is one awesome tiki menu from the Hale Koloa. Love the number coded explanation of the cover art, perfect for the mainland visitors.

DC

Also a classic from the O.A. menu collection. Though I have never in all my years seen anything like Nr.5 as a "Spirit Shield from the Islands of Kauai". :D
Mistakes happen even in the most earnest attempts of educating people about Tiki.

Pages: 1 2 55 replies