Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Road Trip by James Teitelbaum

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

T

On 2003-05-02 09:24, DawnTiki wrote:
It was a fun read, it's going in my car's glovebox (does anyone put gloves in this thing?) I can't tell you how many times I have gotten in the car for a joyride and forgot my Tiki list with addresses and directions. Well,not ever again! Cheers!

This is exactly the reason I wrote this book.

Thank YOU!

T

On 2003-05-02 10:40, tikivixen wrote:
p.s. What's the Hawaiian for "my outrigger is full of pufferfish"?

Don't you mean, "My hovercraft is full of eels"?

T

On 2003-05-02 10:25, dangergirl299 wrote:
as for requests from the greater chicago area, I might have to see a trade of one "prolusion" for one pink martini.

Done.

Quote:

On 2003-05-02 10:40, tikivixen wrote:
p.s. What's the Hawaiian for "my outrigger is full of pufferfish"?

Don't you mean, "My hovercraft is full of eels"?

James, dear fellow--that's the British translation, don't you know.

T

thejab wrote:

(James- For your next edition, I think the photo of "Unknown tiki bar" on p. 17 is Clifton's in Los Angeles - before it was remodeled)

I'm pretty sure of it. Check out the vintage photographs at:

http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com/home.html

Click on the "history" tab, then the "Pacific Seas" picture. There's those glowing palm trees...

Apart from the Kahiki, Clifton's Pacific Seas is probably the extinct vintage Tiki gem I most wish I could visit. Circa 1939, folks. No, it's not clear if there were actual Tikis, but--look at the pictures. Astounding. EXOTIC. Sigh.

It is now...a parking lot.

The surviving Clifton's, the one with the Pacific Northwest theme, is one of my favorite places in the world.

T
thejab posted on Fri, May 2, 2003 5:18 PM

mrsmiley has an amazing souvenier booklet from Clifton's when it was decorated in South Seas motifs. That's what I remember seeing those neon palm trees in.

How's the food at Clifton's these days? I heard they were closed down by the health dept. a while ago.

T

How's the food at Clifton's these days? I heard they were closed down by the health dept. a while ago.

Heh. Well, I was there last fall and everything was great. I'm the canary in the coal mine with food poisoning, too, so you're probably safe.

The chocolate pudding was a nostalgic experience--no, it wasn't vintage 8)--but for some reason it tasted EXACTLY like my grandmother's. When I make it, nope. No dice.

On 2003-05-02 17:18, thejab wrote:

Well, it's been over a year since I was in there. The food was fine for steam-table cafeteria food. The waterfall was in effect as were the animatronic woodland creatures. The neighborhood is sort of on the sketchy side and as I was using the lavatory I heard sirens outside, then a team of paramedics rushed in and burst down the stall door next to where I was standing. Inside was a very still and quiet person sprawled on the floor next to the toilet. They started administering aid, but I didn't stick around to find out the ending to the story of my lunchtime at Clifton's.

-Weird Unc

T

Wow, shades of the time some poor guy got stabbed in the booth next to me at the Howard Johnson's in Times Square.

Well, one day perhaps the lovely old downtown of LA will be cleaned up a bit by some Giuliani-like administration. I wouldn't mind, as long as Clifton's didn't get booted and someone started restoring those stunning movie palaces...

Whoops, this topic is wandering off! Hey, come back! Tiki!

Anyway...Clifton's Pacific Seas. Yep.

M
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.