Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

domins dungeon...

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

A
amate posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2015 8:12 PM

YIKES!!! You did that with a handful of nicked up bench chisels and a mallet you chopped out with a hatchet? We are all in BIG trouble!

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2015 9:24 PM

Fantastico!

N

WOW! Thank you,

D

pretty much finished. think ill add anouther coat of lacquer inside the head dress since it center is so soft and pithy and soaking it up like a sponge. anyways heres a pic.

should lighten after a few more days just did last heavy coat last night and a lighter coat to even it up this morning about 3 hours before the pic.

N

You Rock dude, Just curuious how many hours did it take

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-01-13 13:22 ]

Nice work mate

D
domin posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2015 8:58 PM

didnt keep track exactly but id say under 100 hours sitting outside anyway, i take alot of smoke breaks.

around 40days start to finish with at least 4 or 5 days maybe more i didnt even go out a few moredays maybe a few minutes here and there on it then splitting firewood for my uncle for awhile.
never measured but id guess around 3' 3" tall by around 8" on the bottom skinny end.

never got around to adding anouther coat inside the top, could use it, but at least whats soaked in so far has hardened it up some, i could push my thumbnail right into it before.

but i enjoyed myself with what id did on my winter/Florida vacation. 70 and 80 degree weather beats the hell out of teens and 20s back home in Indiana.

edit...just wanted to add the finished cropped views

[ Edited by: domin 2015-01-31 21:01 ]

N

Thank you Brother. Love your style.

D

Completely and absolutely beautiful. Nicely done...

D
domin posted on Thu, Oct 29, 2015 4:35 PM

not tiki but thought id share this pumkin headed walking staff i made for a guy for his Halloween wedding.

D
domin posted on Tue, Jan 26, 2016 2:53 PM

here is a new one pretty much finished, i think we are going to paint it and a may carve a bit more once i get the other one ive started pretty far along

and a start one another. both a bit over 5 feet tall

around 17 or 18 hours on the first and around 6 hours in on the second so far

Looking good. What kind of trees were they?

D

trees are oak and southern hackberry. from the bark i thought the oak was a hackberry like the others in his yard, and the hackberry had bark like his oaks. but the wood inside is reversed. the first one is the better wood the one im working on now is kind of iffy, hackberry starts to decay pretty quick if left outside and unprotected.

D
domin posted on Mon, Feb 15, 2016 5:38 PM

finished the second stump and started another palm i plan to take home with me. it remains to be seen if my uncle will let me paint them, he says he likes the natural wood look and wants to leave them like they are but this last one is already a bit decayed and was a living tree about 9 months ago when he cut it. i try telling him it will be a pile of rotted wood chips in a couple of months down here if we dont put something on it, but does he listen... anyways here's the pics.

and the new palm after working about an hour today. forgot to get a pic when i got done for the day might be close to finished tomorrow so ill get a pic then.

C
cy posted on Tue, Feb 16, 2016 2:57 PM

Very nice domin.

D
domin posted on Tue, Feb 16, 2016 4:41 PM

thanks cy.

got the new palm pretty far along today but pics will have to wait since our data plan is just about gone.

D
domin posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2016 4:57 PM

finally got the pics off my mothers phone of this tiki. back home now and this one is pretty much done in shape at least going to add more tattoos when i get a chance.its actually a bit more done than in this pic had toes and teeth and a bit more depth on the tongue yet to do here.

thought i had a side view but guess not ill get more when i get the tattos and a finish on it.

[ Edited by: domin 2016-03-06 17:04 ]

H

Very nice.

D
domin posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2016 3:27 PM

pretty close to done carving this drum the views I got today were with my laptop with low battery so didn't get more shots to show the top that's hollowed out. still needs a bit more taper on the inside top as well as cutting in the tattoos on upper and lower lips.

the wood on almost half along the surface is a bit soft and spongy, so to make it less likely of splitting off the narrow bits between the lips and tats, I'm thinking I might put on some polyurethane to soak in and maybe harden the wood. depending on how that turns out I might paint it after. then depending in type of paint used does anyone know if polyurethane would be good for a top clearcoat?

C
cy posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2016 8:04 AM

Cool new carvings domin!

Pages: 1 2 67 replies