Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap - Poly Pop Menu Inspired Art - Swap draw pg 13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies

Got my Aloha Jhoe repaired with some Marx Magic Mender, seems to work real well. Now my Swap Partner will have 3 mugs to choose from (sorry, just one mug of your choice, not all three :D )

BUT WAIT!!!! They also get a FREE 5x7 framed print of the menu that inspired the piece!!!

Option #1 - Aloha Jhoe - 13 inches tall, 4 inches in diameter with removable hat. Features a straw hole in his right horn and a removable polyethelene skirt. "Aloha Jhoe" is inscribed on the back. You can even put a 151 soaked couton in the top and light it on fire like the one in original Aloha Jhoe's. This mug has been repaired and the lid as a bit unstable (full disclosure :) ) but maybe my Swap partner has a soft spot for Aloha Jhoe.

Option #2 - Skipper Kent's Zombie - 4.5" T x 7" W x 7" D. Features a braided ponytail handle in the back and goldtone metal earrings.

Option #3 - The Polynesian - 7.5" T x 6" W x 8" D. Features clear epoxy waterfall and lagoon with outrigger canoe and phat lava glaze. Back handle is inscribed "Polynesian"

This was fun!!! Great theme and some great stuff coming up. I get my art swap and I get to keep 2 Menu Inspired mugs :D

Mike you are super. A very talented artist, supportive to everyone, a hard worker, you go the extra mile and I'm so pleased to have you as a friend. Terrific art to choose from someone will hit the lottery with you. Wendy

Thank you Wendy :blush:

TB

ok.....
You ALL gave me a BIG slap on my face!! absolutely gorgeous!
so... I had to work a lot to make something on your level...
I hope this one is ok. (it's a mug)
Baï

On 2009-10-12 03:08, Tiki Baï wrote:
I hope this one is ok...

You're too funny Baï! That is more than OK, it's absolutely stunning!! Great work!

EDIT - Baï, how big is it?

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-10-12 11:43 ]

P

My oh My, Bai!
Again, lovely and poetic work!
I can't wait for you to do some molds, and make your work available to all of us!

Tick... tock...

Audrey, Steve and Laura examine my entry to the Swap during the Sacramento Tiki Crawl. Two days long and 6 open homes to tour. We had a blast. Wendy

See the reverent looks of awe on the faces of Audrey, Steve & Laura? When do we get to see some close-ups?

My swap mug is all done and I'm ready for the drawing.
Here's the finished Zombie Village menu inspired mug.

I have to attend a convention for work at the end of the month. As soon as I'm back I'll check for my swap partner and contact them. This is such a blast I'm looking forward to the next time. Thanks Hewey, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2009-10-22 14:18 ]

WHOOHOOO!!!

Turned out perfect Wendy

M
mp posted on Thu, Oct 22, 2009 9:39 PM

Beautiful Wendy!! I just ran through this thread again and WOW... everything is great.
I hope I can get something done last minute. You all rock!!!

8T

Finally finished my project! Based it on this:

Started with a couple of blank wood blocks from Hobby Lobby.
Stained the large one and carved the smaller one.

Here they are before assembly:

Now after the 2 pieces are joined (side view).

Added the text and then sealer.

Details on the reverse:

Finished piece measures 8 1/2" X 11 1/4"
Hopefully this will please the new owner. I debated whether to put a picture hanger on the back so it could be hung on the wall and concluded I should let my trade partner decide themselves.
There are some amazing submitions here so far. A couple of them are making me drool. Fingers crossed I can get lucky on the receiving end!

Finally, I didn't know there was a thread on TC about the Waikiki Room until just now. I had only seen the menu. I think you will like seeing the original post by Sabu and others including some great vintage photos!! Check it out here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3971&forum=1

I had the chance to work on my swap piece this weekend when Kinny, doughorne and I were having art jam at my house.
So Im posting a couple of pics just so you know I really have a piece and I'm going to make the deadline.

front and back covers of the menu Im making for the bamboo Grove,
I'm just starting on the actual menu items and the drink illustrations for the inside

WHOOHOOO! Dawn's gonna make it this time! Have fun at your Art Jam (but keep an eye on Kinny and your silverware :wink: )

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 26, 2009 3:05 AM

Some awesome pieces coming together for this one. Deadline is soooooon :D

ALoooHA All...

:tiki: SUPERB ARTWORKS BY EVERYONE!!! :tiki:

I've been away on multiple travel trips all of October, so now I'm scrambling to finish my piece by Sunday morning... I am NOT throwing in the towel and determined to finish by deadline October 31st!! BOO! :D

Go Jonesy GO!
looks like a lota folks are steppin it up!
arr-some!

I wish I wasn't such a schmuck that I didn't participate in this
round of the swap. Great stuff here...8 Foot...I love what you did.

I have to leave for a continuing education convention. I'll not be able to check for my swap partner until I return on November 4th. I want to swap with everyone, what a great year for tiki art. Wendy

Almost done!

Z

Move is finished-I'm burning through a Bob inspired painting for the swap!

B

Burn baby! Burn!

T

WOW!
8FT Tiki, your piece is GREAT!
Dawn, Awesome work too!
So much great work for this swap!

Hope I luck out and get one of those pieces!

Here's my submission, completed just under the wire!

It's based on one of the menu designs for the Stockton Islander:

(I swiped this pic from another thread)

It's 11x14, acrylic washes on watercolor paper. The dimensions are different, and I made the A-frame building larger and made it look specifically like the Islander, including the sign.

WooHoo! After fretting that I would miss the swap, the spirit of Bob got it together! As a Bay Area Tiki Hound, I felt that Tiki Bob's would be a good menu to be inspired by.

4" X 6" Stretched Canvas and Heavy Body Acrylic
Special Bonus inside!

L
Liana posted on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 1:12 AM

Hey guys, all the art is looking GREAT!!! I wish I could actually do something worth swapping so I could join in.. In any case, I've compiled a list of people who have posted up their final pieces.. let me know if there are any mistakes:

• MadDogMike
  • Tiki Lee's
  • TikiG
  • little lost tiki
  • palapala
  • tikiracer
  • beadtiki
  • Tiki Bai
  • danlovestikis
  • 8FT Tiki
  • Sophista-tiki
  • tobunga
  • ZeroTiki
  • Aloha Station

And here is a short list of people who have posted progress shots but not a final photo of their finished pieces:

• TravellingJones
  • artosaurus

Also I have noticed a lot of people have mentioned that they want to participate in the swap but haven't posted any progress photos of their pieces. The deadline is Oct 31, but of course if your piece is not going to be ready for a couple of days I'm sure you can get a little extension. PM Hewey if you have any concerns about not being able to make the deadline but you will have your piece ready within a few days or so.

Housekeeping done.

[ Edited by: Liana 2009-10-31 14:12 ]

ALoooHA All!

Pulled an all nighter, gonna take a nap -Zzzzzzzz... much detail to finish today. Pics of my finished product will be posted Sunday morning.

For those racing to deadline... BURN BABY BURN! :P

Run, Jonesy! RUN!!

I've had him done for a few days. Just took a decent photo to post.

Based loosely on the image from here.

Carved in Bone - 3" tall.

BEAUTIFUL WORK ALL!!!

For the last Swap someone (Jones?) consolidated everything one post for easy viewing. I had some time on my hands today so I thought I'd take care of that this time. Let me know if there are any corrections to be made..

MadDogMike is offering a choice

Ceramic & Poly Twine, Ceramic & Gold-tone Earrings, Ceramic & Poured Epoxy

Tiki Lee

12x18 inch, Carved Redwood

Tiki G - "The Catch"

7x7 inches, Acrylic on Masonite with Shell Frame

Little Lost Tiki - "Moai-Kai"

Tissue Paper Stain, Ink and Water-Soluble Pencil on Aquarelle Cold Press Watercolor Paper

Palapala

Ceramic Mug

TikiRacer is offering a complete set

12x12 inch, Acrylics on Wood Panel, lighted from behind
Limited Edition Deep One shot mug, a handmade green swizzle stick and wooden bar mat!

BeadTiki

Embroidered Bar Towel (this picture may be unfinished?)

Travelin'Joves

"Element 1 & 2 of 5" :-?

Tiki Bai

Ceramic Mug

DanLovesTikis

Super Sculpty Decorative Mug

8FtTiki

8.5x11.25 inch Wooden Carved Plaque

Sophista-Tiki

Front & Back Covers of a menu (I think these pictures are not finished yet?)

Tobunga

11x14 inches, Acrylic Washes on Watercolor Paper

Zero Tiki

4x6 inches, Heavy Bodied Acrylic on Stretched Canvas with a Special Bonus inside!

AlohaStation

3 inch, Carved Bone

Artosaurus

(unfinished?)

WoW! I've been lurking here watching this thread & now that I'm seeing this compilation, I am SO jealous of all the wonderful & generous artistic people on here who have created such beautiful articles & will then be receiving beautiful articles in return! But at least I'm lucky enough to get to enjoy pics of the goodies.

B

SORRY! Yes, I had to finish the edging on the towel. Here it is:

Yikes! Here is my last minute entry:

"Chet's Exotic Voodoo Room!" menu art.
Acrylic on 9"x12" mounted panel w/painted sides.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 9:14 PM

Its already November here in Australia, so times almost up! :lol: :lol: Its fantastic seeing all the art together like that :D Tick tock! :lol:

N
nuKKe posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 10:28 AM

Amazing work, everybody. Sadly, I didn't get anything done for this swap. Reasons are irrelevant but I do hope to join the next swap.

Enjoy your new art,

Keren/ nuKKe

P

Ok, Hewey!
put those names in a hat, and start matching us up!
I can't wait to see who my trade partner is!

Draw! Draw! Draw!

Swap! Swap! Swap!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 4:46 PM

Im at work at the moment, will make an effort to make the draw tonight when I get home from work. :D

Shoootz...

Deadline has come and gone, time was my enemy. No excuses, yet I find myself away again on travel assignment tonight. I offer up photographic evidence of my efforts taken this early Sunday morning Nov 1st:

*** + A Painted Sunset...***

This special sunset dedicated to my good pal BAY PARK BUZZY, who has provided countless sunsets to us all in Carving Forums. A colorful, warm and glowing sunset; in tribute and remembrance to BUZZY's faithful companion KIVA the wonderdog! Rest easy ol'girl.

++ A Hut...

A single spirit lodge jutting skyward... a building inpired by a Mauna Loa menu cover.

Add a little hidden LED flicker flame light...

Add even more special effects LED black lights...

A Canlis-inspired fern tiki and lots of tropical greenery...

+++ A DIORAMA +++

Encase all of these exotic elements inside a wooden shadowbox and glass framed lid...

Then finish with a Seattle: Polynesia-inspired, Claybord acrylic & ink painted "menu cover" to provide a secret hideaway for this wall display.

Classic Menu Art Poly-Pop Inspired Graphics...with a hidden diorama display... now THAT's TIKI??!! :wink:

So "IF" my fellow Swap-mates deem my efforts worthy of submission... allow me to participate in the Tiki Art Swap... I require an extension to finish work and complete details?? "IF" allowed to participate, I'll gladly ship my artwork to its new owner by the 20th of November.

Mahalo'z for consideration...sorry I'm late....this was A LOT OF FUN!!! :D

:tiki: JONESEY :tiki:

****************************************************************************************************************************** Edited to update: 21JAN10
***************************************************** FOTO PHINISH...2010? ********************************************************

First, let me thank Dawn for being so kind and incredibly patient. It allowed me to complete this piece with all the creative passion I could muster. Mahalo'z Sophista-Sistah-Tiki! :D

The finished diorama menu cabinet features:

• Raised acrylic graphic & splatter ink on Claybord (cover art)
  • Color pencil & graphite on toasted newsprint (mug menu art)
  • Pyrography & watercolor (diorama frame/border)
  • Distressed, chipped & chiseled solid white pine cabinet, washed with woodstain, acrylic paints and sealed satin varnish.
  • Brass cabinet hinges & hardware
  • Polymer clay tiki
  • Acrylic sunset
  • Charred birch, bamboo and wire mesh A-frame hut (LED flicker candle)
  • Silk & plastic fern leaves, black foil, sand, dried moss, wood, and Mod Podge (faux lava and trees)
  • Two LED black lights

Tiki mug artist homage includes:
Bosko, Babalu, GECKO, jOnZ, Poptiki, Squid,
OceaOtica, Tiki tOny, and Vantiki

:drink: GREAT FUN! CHEERS ALL!!! :drink:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2010-01-22 02:53 ]

Jonesey - that is an incredible job. Even folds like a menu. My vote is you're in. Just so I can get a chance to swap with you...

8T

Very Impressive Jonesey! What a fantastic idea you came up with. I for one would be quite happy to wait until you were able to complete it should I be the lucky name drawn. In fact, I have a room that it would look perfect in.
Therefore, 8FT says "Let Jonesey in!!!!" Thanks for sharing.

LT

I think that's the coolest thing in the world!

L
Liana posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 12:22 AM

Wow!!! Amazing work everyone!!! Here is the updated list of those who have posted their final pieces... again, if you have a piece that will be finished within the next few days and you still want to participate in the swap just PM Hewey and sort something out.

• MadDogMike
  • Tiki Lee's
  • TikiG
  • little lost tiki
  • palapala
  • tikiracer
  • beadtiki
  • Tiki Bai
  • danlovestikis
  • 8FT Tiki
  • Sophista-tiki
  • tobunga
  • ZeroTiki
  • Aloha Station
  • artosaurus
  • TravellingJones
H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 4:15 AM

Okay, the swap draw is DONE! Once again there is some amazing quality and variety to the swap pieces, great work tiki peeps! :D :D Please PM your swap partner and exchange your mailing address, and get your hot little artwork in da mail!

The swap partners are:

Tiki Bai swaps with Tikiracer
Sophista-tiki swaps with TravellingJones
Beadtiki swaps with Tiki Lee's
Palapala swaps with Little lost tiki
Danlovestikis swaps with TikiG
Artosaurus swaps with 8FT Tiki
MadDogMikeswaps with Aloha Station
Tobunga swaps with ZeroTiki

With Christmas and holidays coming up, we’ll give the swap thang a rest till next year sometimes. Hewey out! :D

Cool stuff Jones, well worth the wait!

Hewey and Liana - Thank you so much, AWESOME SWAP! (I get some great Floridian work again :D )

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 7:33 AM

Wow! What a great myndblowing assortment this time folks: Like I said earlier I'm just stoked at all the fantastic works of art created for this particular swap-fest.

Thanks everybody for participating in the first place, I look forward to doing this again sometime soon after the new year.

Oh yeah, I swap with Wendy Cevola (danlovestikis) and her Zombie Village mug? AWESOME, YEAH!

Wowz!
Jonesy shoots.........
HE SCORES!

your piece will look MARVELOUS in Dawn's Hut!
It will fit right in!

Awesome SWAP,Hewey!
Not a bad apple in the bunch!

Sweet - I get choose from 3 very cool mugs. I believe I'm gonna go with the Aloha Jhoe! Love adding to my collection of handmade mugs. Send me you length preference and I will finish off the pendant.

Jonesy - that diarama is way over the top!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies