Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap - Poly Pop Menu Inspired Art - Swap draw pg 13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies

omg omg omg omg omg!!! The whole time Im sitting here going " man that piece is soooo cool it would be perfect in my house , I wish I could have it." I feel completely special. ( not short bus special, just regular special) because usually I feel short bus special.

Jonesy -I am not in this art swap , however that is the coolest and most original idea
I have seen in awhile.You have an eye for detail....I really dig the work and vision
you put into this project.

P

YAAAAAAY!
I get a Kinny!
Can't wait!
WOOOOHOOOO!

Z

Cool! the Islander!

T

Tiki Bob from ZeroTIki... Awesome!

I wonder what the Special Bonus inside! can be? Can't wait to find out!

Mahalo Hewey and Liana for organizing... fun swap with great art!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 1:47 PM

Im still dissapointed no one has offered me any bribes to rig any of the swaps… :( I'd like to think its because you all think I have such great ethical integrity, but I really know its because no one can chose which piece is their favourite - with so many awesome pieces of art! :D :D :D

Don’t forget to take a pic of your present in its new home and post it for everyone to see! :D

send out your address, you might just get a prize anyway.

Mahalo'z to all! I appreciate your kind words and support allowing me to finish. :)

:D Yahoooooo! I'm swapping with Sophista-tiki!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G WATERCOLOR!!! :D

Dawn, I'll send this thang westbound by the 20th...no worries.

Everyone, FANTABULICIOUS artworks!!! I wish I could've played along more in teasers and playful dialoge...that's a coool thing within the tiki art swap and seeing each art piece revealed. I'd like to write something to highlight EACH individual person, thier craft and efforts... but that'll require an extension in time to complete too! :wink: :lol: GREAT SHOW EVERYONE!!! :D

Hewey and Liana...mahalo'z for hosting!

Hewey, this has been a blast. We are just back from our trip to Monterey. It was fun to log on and find out how far my mug would travel. Not far at all! Northern California to Southern California. This is a great way to make friends, I've gotten a few more this round and that's terrific. I hope we can do this again. I've always thought that artists were drawn to tiki and this proves it. Everyone worked hard and its shows. Of course Dan loved getting the naughty art.
See you all next time, Wendy

ps when our swap is here we will post photos as requested

TB

yeeeha! sorry everybody.. I think I'm the lucky one :)

K

Awesome entries everyone! I'm sorry I couldn't participate this time and get my hands on one of these great pieces! So, when's the next one!?

Hi everyone. Wow, amazing works of art. How I wish I could have participated. Mom is still with us. I'm home for a break, then back up to help next week (she's terminal with cancer). She lives in the boonies and the wireless was down, unfortunately. I'm hoping they have that fixed next week. At least I have a good book to read and I'm working on writing a screenplay adaptation of a book, I have the authors permission and I've got about 30 pages so far. It's something fun I can do to keep my sanity!

I may need to bring some tiki stuff up to Mom's, I'm home this weekend and I miss it so much!

It's fun to check in with TC and see what everyone is doing. I hope I can participate in the next art swap. I'll keep checking back.

Great job everyone!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 8:28 AM

I received a special package Saturday afternoon...

Inside? Wendy Cevola's Zombie Village mug! Both sides shown above. I'm one happy tiki because my personal collection has been enhanced with such a lovingly created masterpiece.

Thanks, Wendy. Should our paths cross someday you'll get a BIG HUG from me :) TikiG

L
Liana posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 12:53 PM

Yay!!! The swap pieces are arriving!! :D

Just received my excellent Islander goodness from Mister tobunga!

Woo~HOO!

will add pics soon

~Zero

Hi TIKIG, it just arrived. Dan's a happy MAN! Thank you for the photo and the terrific rock. I hope there's another swap soon. I really like your 1967 photo where was it taken? Cheers, Wendy

Wendy ....you have created a master piece far nicer then the original mug .
I am in awe of your work and your eye for detail as well.
Fine... fine work Wendy - Congrads from one of your fond tiki admirers .

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Nov 16, 2009 8:29 AM

Wendy -

I'm happy to see a smiling Dan with his painting! Its my absolute pleasure knowing one of my pieces is in your home (I'm also happy you like the quartz crystal: Light and love for your environment direct from Mother Earth).

The art swap is such a nice way to meet people whom I may never have met otherwise. I look forward to the next one (an understatement!) Wendy & Dan, I look forward to meeting you at Tiki Oasis 10.

Oh yeah - the 1967 photograph was taken at the famous Kono Hawaii restaurant that used to be in Santa Ana (Orange County) California. My mother, Karen seated on the left- upon close scrutiny a Mai Tai is found in front of her. My father, Tanner and myself (four years old) seated on the right. My 'cocktail' - probably a Shirley Temple - has a large straw with umbrella stuck in the top. My expression is sheer joy! This photo is my most prized 'tiki' possession. Thanks for asking about it.

Til next time, Cheers!

Wow! I gotta say there is some great stuff here!
TravellingJones that is just over the top.
Great job guys and girls.
Wish I had got in on this one.

Got my Swap goodies several days ago but have been too busy to post pics :blush:

An awesome bone carving from Aloha Station AND a great resin "Bonus Gift". Thanks Tom! It is so hard to photograph bone carvings but I think it makes me look damned handsome :D

On 2009-11-17 18:37, MadDogMike wrote:
Thanks Tom! It is so hard to photograph bone carvings but I think it makes me look damned handsome :D

EEEGADs Man!
Take that HORRIBLE mask off!
:lol:

LLT - you're a MEAN man! That's not a mask - that's...oh, I see now...!

8T

Here's my new Artosaurus painting on the wall behind the bar.
Thanks for a great original piece Anthony!

Dare I ask.....when the next swap is?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 6:18 PM

On 2009-12-03 02:36, Cap'n Pharaoh wrote:
Dare I ask.....when the next swap is?

Sometime in the new year when everyone has recovered from christmas and new years eve :lol:

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 7:45 AM

Before the next swap is discussed in earnest...

Where are pics of the rest of the trade items in their new homes or with their new owners?
Only 1/2 posted so far? :(

Let's see! Let's see!

not yet Jonesey and I are waaaay behind. Im mailing mine out tomorow.
aaannnd sending a package your way as well G.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 8:47 AM

Sophista! Good to hear from you :)

Been patiently waiting :wink:

Yep, Sophista-tiki is correct...I'm sloooow as mo' lass' ass! :P She's been sooo patient, kind and understanding...allowing me the extra time to see my vision into fruition. I'm forever grateful for this opportunity, because as I gaze over the details now added... it mirrors my mind's eye.

You've heard it before Dawn, but it is truly coming together now and will be in the mail very, very soon. :D

At least the 2 laggers are trading with each other :lol:

You know, just because the Swap is over, doesn't mean that menu inspired art is done. I had wanted to make a volcano mug but was having problems coming up with a shape that I liked. Then I saw the Blue Lagoon menu art and "the rest is history" :) Thank you all for the inspiration.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-12-13 19:11 ]

Perfect Smoke there Mike!
Inspiration is in the air for sure
on this thread!

Well, after forgetting to take a picture for a looooong time
here's the beautiful Tahitian mug creation palapa sent...
it's HUGE!

Here it is in it's new dusty home
next to a Squid Rower..
They seem to be getting along...

and of course,Cornucopia PNG Bali Dancer
will watch over them and make them feel safe....

Thanks hewey!
Thanks palapa!

I'm bumping in anticipation. Jonesy's got my piece sitting under his tree. the excitement is building.........

Hopefully he will post better pics than mine.

Z

Finally have pics of my new awesome goodies! Thanks again, tobunga!

...and a secret toy surprise inside! WooHoo!

P.S.: When's the next swap??

"The guy in the jacket"

Visit Zerotiki!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-01-16 17:29 ]

ITS HERE!!! look what I got.
I came home from a long day of supervising an Americorp volunteer project to find a huge package waiiting for me.

Amazing piece. well worth the wait!
I will let Jonsey post his super perfect pics of all the details and explanations. Now I have to find the perfect spot to hang it.

Still waiting :(

POST THOSE PIX JONESY!
it looks soooooo cool!
even blurry!

WOAH! waaaay coool!! Dawn has been THE BEST, waiting patiently...forever it seems, and now FINALLY our swap is complete!!! :D

So with GREAT JOY and childlike excitement, I opened her shipping envelope sent well before the Christmas holiday... inside I found a HUGE cover folder, lovingly hand embellished with an exotic tapa pattern!

Cheggit Out! :)

I was sooo excited I just had to show someone...anyone...well, I turned to my old buddy "Pappy"... a true aficionado of vintage ephemera and mid-century graphic design. :wink:

"Pappy" was speechless... the high quality rag-pressed paper, the absolutely gorgeous wet & wild watercolor cannibal pole, A-framed tropical beach, bamboo-themed and classic/ vintage menu inspired artwork with extensive hand written menu pages with curvaceous line art!! BEAUTIMOUSTASTIC!!! :D

Drooling and teary-eyed we flipped open the centerfold portion of the menu art and... :o POW! ZZZIP!! BROiiiNG!!! :o POLYPOP-UP!!! YIKES! YiPeeeEEE!!! Yahoooooo!!! :o

THE BAMBOO GROVE... absolutely enchanting.... and I would happily dine on Pupu'z, quaffing juicy forbidden libations upon it's sandy lagoon, whilst the warm trade winds gently blow... whistling exotica throughout the bamboo grove... aaaahhhhh, BIG MAHALO'z to DAWN! CHEERS!! :drink:

Dawn is an awesome artist and Jones is an equally awesome art critique as well as an awesome artist in his own right :) I had no idea of the SIZE of the pop-up menu - it's HUGE!!!!

[Edited to remove my annoying banner]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-01-20 20:51 ]

:drink: CHEERS TO ALL! :drink:

As requested...FOTO PHINISH

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2010-01-21 19:02 ]

On 2010-01-21 18:55, TravelingJones wrote:
:drink: CHEERS TO ALL! :drink:

As requested...FOTO PHINISH

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2010-01-21 19:02 ]

If you didnt look at the "GOOD" pics please do. this piece is outstanding. I'm honored to have it. I almost want to just carry it around the house with me.

It's too RAD to NOT post on this page!
Dawn..Jonesy..... you two BOTH ooze with Talent and Inspiration!

The finished diorama menu cabinet features:

• Raised acrylic graphic & splatter ink on Claybord (cover art)
  • Color pencil & graphite on toasted newsprint (mug menu art)
  • Pyrography & watercolor (diorama frame/border)
  • Distressed, chipped & chiseled solid white pine cabinet, washed with woodstain, acrylic paints and sealed satin varnish.
  • Brass cabinet hinges & hardware
  • Polymer clay tiki
  • Acrylic sunset
  • Charred birch, bamboo and wire mesh A-frame hut (LED flicker candle)
  • Silk & plastic fern leaves, black foil, sand, dried moss, wood, and Mod Podge (faux lava and trees)
  • Two LED black lights

Tiki mug artist homage includes:
Bosko, Babalu, GECKO, jOnZ, Poptiki, Squid,
OceaOtica, Tiki tOny, and Vantiki

:drink: GREAT FUN! CHEERS ALL!!! :drink:

Jonesy.... Could you read us some of the drink names on Dawn's menu?
i wanna hear which ones made the cut! :)

You guys are AWESOME! That's a BUTTLOAD of work - from BOTH of you!

:tiki: ALoooHA! :tiki:

:D Cheggout the menu details of Dawn's enchanting, The Bamboo Grove!!!

YUMMY YUMMY GIGGLE GIGGLE SLURRRRP!! :D :D :D I'm ONE LUCKY DUDE!!! :D :D :D A future project is designing a showcase to display and protect this treasure! What a gas!! Mahalo'z Dawn!!! :D

B

WOW!! This is just some off the charts stuff!

Thank you JoneSey! :-)

HILARIOUS!
Thanks for posting Jonesy!

I say we take up a collection and HAVE DAWN'S HEAD EXAMINED!!! :lol: :D

Crazy funny, full-tilt Bozo!

T

Wow, nice work Jonesey! Really cool diorama... thanks for including Fatutu!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies