Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap - Poly Pop Menu Inspired Art - Swap draw pg 13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies

I just found this post (sorry I have been AWOL)... This looks like great fun, and I have an idea already... now from the planning stages onto reality :)

TL

O.K....

I was in last time, and I'll be in EVERY time!

Now what should I do.....?

Yea Lee!
I cant wait to see what you create for this. now that you are in I'm gonna get busy and finish my piece.

Deadline is end of October, correct?

yep! you in Bill? my tiki needs a friend!!

OK, I'm hearin' a lot of talk but I'm not seein' much action - Don't make me swap with myself!!!! :lol:

Finished a second mug, guess I'll let my swap partner decide which one they want. This one is based on the menu of "The Polynesian" restaurant in Torrance CA.

I've got more pics posted on my Platterful of Pûpû thread.

I'm enjoying this menu inspired art- I've got my sights set on this next :)

My Swap mug is based on the Zombie Village menu. The front has the Zombie and the back will have the girl and scenery. I love Mad Dogs entries but I hope there will be so many that we will not be able to guess who we may trade with. I have a long way to go. When the clay is done, it's baked, sanded and carved and then I paint it to match the menu colors. Come on everyone it's fun to be involved. Wendy

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 6:53 PM

Dang Wendy. I'm in

Wendy, absolutely stunning! The reverse side with the woman is incredible, the way the fabric drapes is so realistic. Is that polymer clay?

Hi Guys, it's Super Sculpey, very expensive but worth it. This mug will be for display only because I plan to paint the inside also. Thank you for your comments, I loved them, Wendy

TL

Great stuff there Wendy and Mad Dog! Man, could it actually be possible that I may just possibly get a Cevola Original that I've been craving for so long? All my begging over the years didn't get me squat! :wink:

So here's my "entry" in it's shaped wood and pencil outline form.
Any guesses which menu inspired it?

...how 'bout now?

Here's a hint: it's somewhere in this scan of the menu...

Hey! There he is! It's the logo tiki from Frankie's! I heard a rumor that it's a Little Lost Kinney design in the WITCO vein. Is that true?

And here he is all finished up & waxed...

He's made o' redwood, and measures 18" tall, about 12" wide, and about 2" thick.

Ya know what's kinda funny; Frankie's never had one made for their own place. All that tiki goodness inside and no logo tiki! Well, some lucky art trader's gonna get one, that's for sure!

Hi Lee, wow this year is shaping up really well. I love the tiki face you choose, great job. I'll post more photos later today. I worked on the girls arms and shoulders for 10 hours yesterday. Copying something is way harder than doing something original. Did you really beg me for art? Wendy

B

Whoa, so much nice stuff happening on thuis thread already....I had better get to work!

Terrific. Did GROG do your picture? As far as sculpting I think I have finished everything except her hands and hair. Of course that's right now before those are done I'll find more to problem areas to fix. Wendy

Great carving TikiLee. And your mug is progressing perfectly Wendy.

I started work on my next menu inspired piece, Aloha Jhoe's.
13 inches tall with removable lid and straw hole in left "horn", removable skirt made of 100 individually tied strands of poly twine.

![](http://www.mgilbert.net/tiki lab banner.gif)
Clay, the original and most divine art media - Genesis 2:7

Edited to update photo, didn't want to make a new post :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-09-08 21:08 ]

L
Liana posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 6:42 PM

Woah Maddog you are on fire!

Just letting you know that you wont get multiple entries into the swap though - even though you have done multiple pieces.. You will get one swap partner, and you can decide whether they get all of your pieces, or get to choose one.. But yeah, only one draw into the actual swap itself - as in, if you do three pieces your name doesn't go into the hat three times, it only goes in once..

Just making sure you know :)

Thanks Liana, I figured as much. I may just choose one to swap or I may let my partner choose. I will decide before the drawing so there is no confusion - I don't want this to be any kind of headache for you or Hewey.

L

If Mike creates multiple pieces why can't he have multiple swapping partners?

I didn't realize there was a set "rule" on this since it would still mean that everyone in that swap would get an original piece of art. Doesn't make sense.

Mike you are making the rest of us look like slackers. Then again the deadline isn't until the end of October so I guess that means you are just first out of the gate ! and then out of the gate again. then again. :)

L
Liana posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 7:44 PM

LeleLiz I think Hewey can explain this better but I'll try.

Well if Maddog had his name in the hat three times then he would get three new pieces of art where his swapping partners would only get one.. I know the same amount of effort has gone into making all of those pieces - as in, Mike has done three times more work than someone who only made one piece.. But the idea is that everyone gets one new and original work of art.. Also, I would hate to be Mike if his name went into the hat three times and he got three partners all living in another country - the postage for such a heavy mug times three would be very expensive.. Mike can swap one piece in this particular swap - and if he wants to swap his other menu inspired pieces he can still do so but organise the swap himself personally.

It's great that Mike has been so inspried to make all of these new works of art - that's the whole idea of the tiki art swap! We want people to be inspried to make new and original one off pieces.

I do understand what you are saying Liz, but some people may not share that same view and instead of having to deal with possible implications down the road it is alot easier to just make a blanket rule.. A few people in the last swap made multiple pieces but their name only went into the hat once and they were fine with that.

L

Thanks for the explanation :)

I had no plans on making more than one piece but I was just curious anyways!

Thanks!

L
Liana posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 8:00 PM

Haha that's fine Liz :)

Now, let's see photos of everyone elses works in progress! :P

Cool stuff so far.
This swap business is the most. :)

I'm doing a painting/drawing(?) of a made-up menu cover. I'm still trying
to decide which way to go. Here are some early sketch ideas:

L-R: Chet's Exotic Voodoo Room, Cafe Exotico & The Midnighter Tiki Lounge

Artosaurus (I see the art in your name), My husband votes for sexy girls every time. We love serious scary tikis. I look forward to more postings from you.

MadDogMike you are on a roll don't stop now. I keep going to this tread every hour to see if another photo, another project has been posted. The more the better, I think it's inspiring. That's the first time I've seen the Aloha Joes Tiki and you've done a fantastic job. I've baked my zombie mug and now starts the very long process of painting. By the time I'm finished I hope we have more from you and dozens from everyone else too. People drawn to tiki have the artists creative soul. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2009-09-07 07:52 ]

Z

I ame absolutely gobsmacked!
Sadly, due to insane next door neighbor wackiness, I won't have a piece done in time. I hang my head in shame...

L

On 2009-09-09 19:08, ZeroTiki wrote:
I ame absolutely gobsmacked!
Sadly, due to insane next door neighbor wackiness, I won't have a piece done in time. I hang my head in shame...

That's a shame but you know that you have until the end of October...I hope your neighbors don't distract you too long!

END OF OCTOBER!!!!!

Killer.
That means i can slack off till the middle of October...
YAY!!!!

put me down for something....artistic-like..
:)

B

Hey, some of us clay dudes like that end of Oct. date :)

Ok, a long time ago on Hewey's swap thread over in the carving area, Paipo suggested a menu influanced swap...it was that thread that started me off on the idea of building the menu Cobra Mug...I've been playing with it a little over the past year. A few hand builts later, I have decided to cast about 30 - 40 of them. Thank you to all of you who have had dibs in on one of these one for sooo long now...finally, I am fine tuning the master and will build the mold in a few days....

Here is what I'm going to throw up on the table for this trade... 1 of the cast Cobra Mugs, glazed in a one off color just for this trade, and also this little hand built prototype shown next to the master... YAY!!

Babalu, that's terrific. WE will see what fate has in store for each work of art. Everyone has something great in the works or done. Wendy

:o WOW! :o AMAZING the artworks presented to date!! :o Creative juices are flowing and the fires stoked to BURN BABY BURN!!! :o

:tiki: I'm slooow to start...but my mind spewed forth images, I faithfully gathered the materials and now to execute a savage dance of flailing arms to the tribal pounding of drumbeats in my head... :tiki:

After poking, proding and begging many to jump into TAS#2_09.... I officially announce: TravelingJones saiz, "I'm IN!" :D Here's what I gotz so far...

The limitless and colorful Poly-Pop Art menu designs and vintage graphics are not only inspiring, but the very core of what TC is founded upon. A fitting tribute to celebrate what dances within the hearts and minds of all of us! A small imagery example courtesy of http://www.tabooisland.com

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoo :tiki: *Sooo come one! Come all!! Join in the fun!!!*TIKI REVIVALWhat have YOU done for TIKI lately??? :tiki:ooOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

L

Jonesy thanks for all those images! I already have a solid idea of what i plan on doing but seeing all that together...well crap...maybe I need to rethink the idea!

Wow Jonesy!
I can't beliebe you painted all those pieces sooo fast!
WOW!
:lol:

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 14, 2009 7:40 AM

Aloha T.C. 'Ohana from TikiG -

Keeping with the theme of poly-pop inspired menus, here's my entry for this swap.

I've named this piece "The Catch" - a fantasy poly-pop bar of my dreams. I wanted to explore the risque quality of many vintage post WII, pre-tiki bamboo bar cocktail menus I've seen before. I had several ideas floating around in my head (some still floating)..

I believe the double entendre between "The Catch" and the graphic is unique to this piece. Hard to say? :) If anyone knows of a similar menu cover from the past I'd love to see it.

Anyway this is acrylic on Masonite board, approx. 7" x 7" and features a cool shell frame for hanging. Sorry for the muddiness of the pics..

Hope the concept catches your fancy. I enjoyed painting it - I'm greatly inspired to explore the risque menu cover theme more in the future. Cheers!

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-09-14 07:45 ]

I get it Greg, very nice, and with fancy shell frame too. the shell frame adds to that paticular era you are conveying.
I also think you've done well with the human form. NOT EASY.
Bigger paintings please, I can send you some giant pieces of masonite. Im always salveging and stashing them away for art supplies.
Dawn

P

Aloha, All!
Here's my entry, a rather large mug, (or small vase), Translated from the menu at "the Tahitian".
I'm praying to the kiln Gods for a good bake, then on to glazing!

TikiG and Palapala, looking good!

P

is there a participant list?

Perry, good to hear from you again!

You just make a menu inspired artwork and post a picture here before Oct 31 and you're in.

Finished my contribution last night
will shoot it in a few days...
Think "Mai Kai Cannibals go to Easter Island"
Moai-Kais!

Maybe I'l bring it to the CHOP to if it's Swap worthy!

hey I was gonna do canibals!

Dawn don't worry, there isn't a "one-cannibal-per-swap" rule. We want to see your take on a cannibal!

NO!
one cannibal piece per art swap!
please refer to Rule #23487A Section 56 Chapter 43 subsection E
where it states.....

Ah! Fergit it!
this joke is going nowhere....

I finished my Aloha Jhoe's mug

Unfortunately, it's not swap-worthy because I broke part of the top :(
I won't bore you with the details but I posted them on my Platterful of Pûpû thread if you've got nothing better to do.

I've still got my Skipper Kent Zombie and my Polynesian waterfall so I'm good. I'm got several other non-swap projects in mind so I probably won't get any more menu inspired pieces done by the end of October.

:o TOO COOOOOL! ...look at all da swellegant work'z!!! :o MadDogMike: You're on clay-bender braddah...take it easy...just step away from the clay...it's okay...you DO NOT have to create 31 mugs by October 31st...there will be other swaps...'fer crap sakes...let da kiln cool down...let da SoCal power grid return to NON-CRITICAL STATUS...:lol: Nice work on your mugs, the diorama mug is INSANE! (my condolences on Aloha Jhoe's...sweeet execution though!) Wendy: YOU are magical sweetheart! XOXOXOXO I reeeally like the use of the wahine dancer on the reverse of ZOMBIE VILLAGE!! I can't wait to see this one finished!!! Tiki Lee's: The FRANKIE'S Mask carve is Nucking Futz! YOU pull out HUGE grain from your wood detail...Westenhaver would proud! :) BabaaaLuuuuuuuuuU: The Cobra's Fang is CLASSIC...sooo stoked to see that one in the swap -AND- tossing in the PROTOTYPE too boot...YOU ROCK! TikiG: CATCHY RISQUE indeed! :blush: Front row seat to the best in burlesque...the seashell frame really ties it all together! :) Palapala: SsweeetT interpretation of the Bumatay tiki from The Tahitian...is that a Booby-tay?...she appears to be more "shapely" than the standard bugeye, fish-faced Buma?? SsweeetT! :D artosaurus: Anthony, shaka gnar gnar to have a pro brushing the canvas for da Swapi Tribe!! You're retro-cover art is AMAZING! shoootz!! Speaking of pro's...where the hell is that clown Kinny? Spends waay to much time flappin' & yappin'...heckling all the other clowns and upsetting the kids...too bad he can't channel that energy into something positive...he could've been a contender? sooo sad... :P

************** :tiki: GREAT WORK'Z BY ALL! KEEP THE CREATIVE FIRES STOKED!! C'MON ARTISTIC PEAPO...IT'S TIME TO GET YOUR EXOTICA POLY-POP GROOVE ON!!! :tiki: ***********************

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoMY UPDATEoOoOoOoOoooOoooOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2009-09-20 15:19 ]

LT

On 2009-09-20 10:46, TravelingJones wrote:
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoMY UPDATEoOoOoOoOoooOoooOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Doooood! That is so sweet!!! :drink: :tiki: :drink:
Is that image from the Kauai Surf?

Ovarian Cancer Research

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2009-09-20 12:47 ]

OOooOOooooOOOOoooOOOOooOOOoo is right! that looks soooo cool

I would be interested in getting in on this..as soon as I find out how much BOB here will cost to ship

...plus he needs a little SMOOTHING and STAINING..but is mostly shaped out

P

Traveling Jones, yeh she's a bit "boobalish" but nothing you wouldn't want to show your Mom....
I'm loving the quality of the art on this swap!
very inspired! "How do you like it,how do you like it, MORE MORE MORE!"
Bai, are you out there?
we want you too, Cherie!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 20, 2009 7:47 PM

On 2009-09-20 16:26, bb moondog wrote:
I would be interested in getting in on this..as soon as I find out how much BOB here will cost to ship

...plus he needs a little SMOOTHING and STAINING..but is mostly shaped out

Just remember that there is a reasonable chance that your artwork could go overseas, and the likely cost of sending a carving of that size overseas would be substantial. You should only enter the swap if you are prepared to send your piece to the other side of the world!

Just over a month to go now :D :D :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies