Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap - Poly Pop Menu Inspired Art - Swap draw pg 13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies

T

I'm blown away at the offerings posted so far..I feel so lucky to be in the company of all you fine artists. Everything is so creative, original and seemingly spontaneous that I find myself questioning my self-imposed role as 'painter'. There's a sense that overwhelms me now..the sense of a glorious push to try new art forms beginning today (okay - tomorrow.)

It's all very generous as well. But my God - bb moondog - a hand-carved tiki bob? That's way over the top in a liberal sense :wink: I'd trade a painting for that any day!

On 2009-09-20 12:47, LOL Tiki wrote:

LOL Tiki wrote, "Is that image from the Kauai Surf?"

:tiki: Howzit LOL! This is actually a composite of three images inspiring my twist into the menu graphics: Polynesia Pier 51 Restaurant and the Kaui Surf...

...this painting is only step 1, within five elements, to be constructed for my offering. Stay tuned for more... :wink:

Oh how I wish seattle still had teh Polynesian. that graphic is one of my favorites.

LT

On 2009-09-21 16:47, TravelingJones wrote:
...this painting is only step 1, within five elements, to be constructed for my offering. Stay tuned for more... :wink:

Brilliant! Tooned in and waiting... :D

Jonesy Rocks the HUT!
Brilliant,man!

TB

bonjour everybody :)
ok after spending a long time in the desert here I am.. .:wink:
Thank you palapala :wink:
and... a big thank to travelling jones :) :) :)
ok.. so now here what I've done for the swap. I think I'm totally out of the subject :(
Well.. it was hard to find something really coool.. after all your creation!
anyway... Lets say.. it's a kind of vision of the tahitian liani logo...
I know it's really "kitchy" but the fact is I wanted to see if I could do something more.. "realistic".
au revoir :wink:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 4:43 AM

Very nice. GROG like.

Gorgeous,bai!
You're Busting out the goods Left and Right!
Thank you for elevating an kitschy icon
into a fine art piece!

Welp..
Being inspired by Tiki Kate's Cannibal Thread in COLLECTING TIKI
The Mai Kai Cannibals were just screaming for a delightful modern twist...
RAPA-GOOFY style!

Here is my Swap entry...

"Moai-Kai"
tissue paper stain,ink and water-soluble pencil on Aquarelle Cold Press Watercolor paper

That is all!
:)

P

oooh, the juices just keep on flowing from all of you ono artists!
Ken, such a great "long pork snack time" pic!
Bai, I have a secret to tell you..... We have all been plotting behind your back to find ways to get you to make your beautiful art for us.... the art swap is just the begining of our devious plan! Is that a "pele" image?
Is it a mug ,or an insense burner?

Thanks again, Hewey, for giving us yet another reason to be creative and put our work out into the world!

Glazed my vase/mug Tuesday, It should be ready by next week!

LLT that Moai looks like he's making that poor tiki "squeal like a pig" before eating long pig, toes curling round moai's knees... u are one sick individual lil' lost pig squeakee!

P

Here is my fired and finished submission to the swap, portraying the menu from the Tahitian restaurant.

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-09-29 20:37 ]

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-09-29 20:38 ]

Very nice!
I like the play of textures around it!
and the torch is....
well.... it's on FIRE!

So many Swap goodies!
You kids should be proud!

except Sneakytiki....
he's off squealin somewhere!
:lol:

Ah, I'd just decided to post the bottom of my Zombie mug to inspire all the artists to also immortalize the Art Swap, ya beat me! Your Tahitian mug is terrific. Kinney you are as cute as your Moai. Mad Dog don't stop now you are on a roll, one more please.

To everyone on this thread it would be wonderful to have your art in my home. Dan says he's a lucky man that I could enter this swap and he gets to increase his collection by 1 wonderful new piece of art.

Jonesey, you are such a tease! I can't wait to see the next element.

Here's the bottom of my mug.

There's still much to do and October starts tomorrow. 31 days to finish up. Cheers, Wendy

Palapala, looks great - I love the antiqued wood look

Wendy - like you have room to talk about Jones being a tease! :D And all that writing on the bottom, I'd have to make a 5 gallon mug to have enuf space to write that much! I doubt that I'll squeeze out another menu inspired one before Halloween, but ya just never know.

Clay, the original and most divine art media - Genesis 2:7

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-09-30 18:33 ]

:roll: Shucks, I just can't resist...

Wendy, you have a reeeally nice bottom...YOU TEASE! :lol:

B

I was inspired by one of the many pics posted on page 6? Anyway, I'm not a ceramics artists - I mostly play with beads (hence my name) but I've been returning to an old love - embroidery. Although I probably don't qualify for the swap, I am having a buttload of fun and want to share. This is what I have done so far. By the way - my hand is KILLING me from tracing on carbon paper with a knitting needle! LOL

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2009-10-01 13:31 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 1, 2009 1:59 PM

GO! Beadtiki! GO!

Love your design. Come to think of it...your choice of expression, embroidery, is a form you don't see everyday on TC. It reinforces my love of these swaps - these communal share-fests.

Isn't it a joy to see all the different approaches here?

B

Thanks TikiG! I'm always so jealous of all the talent on this site - it's nice to know I can contribute once in a while too! Go EVERYONE!

P

Nice, Beadtiki!
I'd love to see some more of your work!
BTW, I'm only, like, about 5 minutes outside of Bothell!
Love to meet you sometime!

Beadtiki, you are spot on for the menu swap. I for one appreciate what it takes to make a perfect embroidery. I did a really poor attempt back in the 60's. I did flowers and peace symbols on my jeans, I wish I had them still. Yours is a whole different level and perfect for this swap. Wendy

ps Jonesey stop taking about my bottom Dan's reading these.
ps Mad Dog Mike you could too put this much on your bottom just get a tiny chisel, ouch!

B

Thanks all for your support and kind words. It's funny that when I was younger I had NO patience for this type of thing - now I can't seem to get enough! By the way - if anyone is interested in rekindling your own love of embroidery, may I suggest Sublime Stitching by Jenny Hart. She is up-to-date and retro at the same time. I was drawn to her because she has some Tiki patterns:

Anyhow, thanks again!

Very nice BeadTiki, what's it embroidered on? Shirt? Blouse? Towel? Snot-rag? :D

B

Thanks MadDogMike - it's on a tea towel (sounds hoity-toity, I know!)

Oh, sorry no more updates yet - ran out of green floss!

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2009-10-02 15:45 ]

Wow - some amazing pieces in this event, the theme has worked out to be perfect, flexible enough for everyone to use their strengths.

Well here's my entry. Based on my Devil Reef Tiki Bar. Read more here http://www.devilreef.com

Some TC chatter here http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30447&forum=5&hilite=devil%20reef

Approx 12x12" on wood panel, in acrylics. Which mounts about 2" away from the wall.
Using the signature tiki from the bar menu, I've reworked it for this new square format menu style cover.

Behind the painting are some battery powered green LEDs. To add some spooky sea green lighting to any bar.

I'll also include a limited edition Deep One shot mug [in zombie green], a handmade green swizzle stick and wooden bar mat.

Beautiful set Racer, love the idea of lights behind the painting. Looks like the bar is doing well, wishing you continued success

B

Wow! Tikiracer - that's really cool - I personally love that backlighting effect. My folks' tv has that too! I recently decided I like that calming effect of lighted water "shadows" on walls - that underwater feel. Kind of hard to do needlework in that lighting though!

Spot ON,Racer!
The goodies just keep coming!

B

A bit more done.

(with Fu Manchu!)

(with full-on beard!)

Beadtiki, I admire perfection, so I admire your work, Wendy

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo UPDATE #2 oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Inspired by the tiki pole cover art of the Canlis Restaurant -Waikiki, HI . I sculpted my tiki variation to resemble the texture of an aging fern root carving.

This is the second element of five for my project... gotta get crackin'...only three weeks to go! ZOINKS!! :tiki:

Wow, wow, wow. How come the top tiki has a kick stand? Is it for stability or is there a personal reason Joensey?

LT

I'm jealous of some fortunate recipient.

P

BBBBBBEAUUUUUUUTIFUL TJ!
Iwannitbad!
The whole sculp...not just the kickstand!LOL!

Way Cool Jones!!! Polymer?

B

...and finally:

I was thinking about puting on a simple border - any suggestions?

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2009-10-07 11:22 ]

B

TJ - I'm from the Seattle area and wasn't aware there was ANOTHER Canlis restaurant. No doubt the Hawaii one is the original but we still have a Canlis here - it's just "updated" for the times and still too pricey for us average folk!

Nice work by the way! What is you medium?

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2009-10-07 11:25 ]

The Zombie side is finished, I'm still working on the woman. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2009-10-07 13:39 ]

JONESY.....
WENDY......

WOWZA!

Man! the Hits just keep coming!

B

WOW! That mug is AMAZING! I'm in awe!

BeadTiki, beautiful "bar towel"! If you're looking for border ideas, check out Tangaroa Glyphs. It's a free Polynesian font with lots of border design elements.

Wendy, your mug is looking magnificent! Beautiful rich colors and oh so shiny!!!

Hey guys, sorry but I'll have to bow out of this. I really had some fun ideas and was inspired, but my mom has terminal cancer and I haven't had any time to work on my ideas. Hopefully, next year I can join in the reindeer games!

Everything looks so great, I wish I had some time.

Thanks, Mookie

B

Wow - MDM - thanks for that link. LOVE those glyphs! I'll probably use them for future designs as well.

I LOVE this place!

Oooooh! Just got back from that site and from downloading! Very fun! Can't wait to turn some of those into embroidery and/or beading patterns! Thanks again!

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2009-10-08 12:52 ]

You're welcome :)

Im a little behind but I will be done intime!

Amy

P

lots of Aloha to you, Mookie..I hope the transition to the next place for your Mom is as painless as possible...It's never an easy thing...I wish you much peace and joy. you're not alone.
we look forward to seeing your work at the next swap, or elsewhere, when your're ready!

Getting close and there's some really cool stuff posted so far. Here's my contribution... Still has a lot more to be done. My flexshaft broke last night so it will be on hold for a few days. 3" Ku from the Aku Aku menu, carved in bone.

Great progress shot AlohaStation, lookin' SMOOOOOOOTH !!!

Mookie it was so nice to meet you and Matt and to visit your lovely tiki home today, god bless, Wendy and Dan

ps everyone thank you for the fun critiques, I'm really enjoying this swap meet, every single entry is something fun that I think about during the day

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 264 replies