Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Lantern

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies

B

GREAT, I Love the finished Tiki, you can't tell at all he had the drastic nose job, Be Proud!

N

No posts for a little while

here is a necklace tiki I am working on, maybe ut turqoise eyes in

N

And a new bigger one I am working on

T

Nice looking necklace. Inlaid eyes would be really cool. That looks like a pretty hefty log you have started.

A
amate posted on Wed, Oct 7, 2009 4:04 PM

Great recovery on Tiki 3. It has turned into a beauty! I have only been at this about 3 years and have made several patches and salvaged many mistakes. Just keep carving... you will learn and improve with each new piece.

N

thanks Big T the eyes are on more pics soon

Thanks Amate for the kind words

N

Updated pics

T

nice you can really tell how your comin along w the second one lookin good but i now see thomas in a whole different light.

B

Excellent looking eyes in this tiki pendant, Nice work

N

Just started carving again after an unintentionally long break - this one I started last year!

N

N

I came to a standstill with my carving. So I did have another job to go onto to.

This Friday is my son's school's 50th birthday and they have to dress in 1960s gear so what better than a 1960s Tiki themed t-shirt.

I have never done one before but I got one of his t-shirts and a pencil and a sharpie and did a Ed Roth & Ed Newton style design.

What do you think? I'm afraid to colour it.

N

Back onto the tiki - slight progress. Wouldn't mind a pyrography kit to do more detail.

N

I sanded the back of it a bit and noticed the wood has an interesting grain pattern.

I'm not sure what type of wood it is as I found it at the side of the road, cut up after it had been knocked over in a storm

P

That's really a beautiful piece of wood. Nice score!

S

Welcome back. Nice work on this guy he looks mystic and old. (very cool)

T

LOve the pose... If I saw that guy in the corner of a dark room....

N

Thanks for the comments

Regarding the pose, for some reason after I carved him he reminded me of an incan mummy I had seen somewhere. I couldn't remember where exactly I had seen it, I did a search and found the mummy.

N

Update on tiki, more detail added plus sanding

N

S

Nice, I think he will make a great watchman.

N

Thanks seeksurf

I carved more detail into the skull, then torched it.

THe tiki went pretty black and required much sanding. I will need to redo some of detail lines around the eyes and forehead

N

Cool looking design. The grain looks great, but I am a grain guy.

N

DArkened the lines with black acrylic paint, now ready to varnish? I think.

N

N

Started on new project of hollowing out a log. This log is very dense and really tough, I found chisels and my useless chainsaw totally inadequate so used an old wood auger brace drill to make a few holes.

So now what? Good question.

I knew the carbide bits for my die grinder would do no good much too slow so I needed another idea.

I found a router bit and used my bench grinder to make it fit my die grinder and it is going through the wood at a good rate. After an hour I was about a third of the way through the log.

N

Started on a small one

I am thinking of getting a proxxon pen sander - anyone tried one?

Cheers

Sol

N

Update on little fella

B

Looks like he's getting there.

N

Thanks Ben

A few places I couldn't sand properly so I used the torch to burn it a little and darken it.

However when the smoke cleared tiki had changed.
Some of his mouth had gone his nose had gotten smaller and his eyes changed expression - oops. However now he has an rustic charred look of sorts will post pics soon.

N

I understand why you burned him but have to say there are better ways to get the same effect. Burning wood may be an "authentic" way of getting a "patina" with wood, but it is also the most destructive. For smaller pieces I prefer using paint or stain. It is much easier to use and control (plus it doesn't smell as bad).

L

Cool little carving nomolos...

N

Progress after the fire - Unsure how to do the eyes

N

Finally got this tiki varnished

N

Not sure wether to stain this one or not

N

Little one just needs stain and maybe a bit of pyrography

[ Edited by: nomolos 2010-09-15 05:04 ]

P

dude, I'm DIGGIN' the mini!

nice!

the little one is great!
He has BIG personality for such a little fellar!
That guy just oozes it!
Bravo!

N

On 2010-09-15 10:56, pjc5150 wrote:
dude, I'm DIGGIN' the mini!

nice!

Thanks much appreciated

N

On 2010-09-15 13:05, little lost tiki wrote:
the little one is great!
He has BIG personality for such a little fellar!
That guy just oozes it!
Bravo!

Thanks little lost tiki I was a bit worried about the little tiki after it got torched a bit, but now I love it

Here is a couple of pics of the tiki stained

T

Pretty small little dude. Nice job.

N

It's been a long while since posting, I've been pretty busy, However I still have been lurking around.

Here is my latest - a tiki lantern nearing completion

S

Way to go at it. Man your tikis have this eary possessed look to them. Well done.

N

Thanks for the kind words Seeksurf

Here's an update

P

Nice bro!

Glad you're back in the game.

Your work on the small stuff is so detailed. I'm always amazed at how people who work on such small items can create such detail. I love the lanterns too. How are you hollowing them out? (if you don't mind me asking)

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies