Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What TV shows are you Poly-Popsters watching

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

Sven! why did you not mention that your better half was on tonight's "The Layover"
We got to see her & Billy at the Soap Plant / Wacko / La Luz de Jesus Gallery, the Tiki Ti was mentioned
but no visit, so was the Prince, alot of time spent at "Jumbo's Clown Room"

Catch the repeat everyone!
I really dig this show.

It looks like The episode of the new Fox show "The Finder" that was filmed
at Don the Beachcomber airs this week Thurs Feb. 2nd 9:oopm westcoast time.

So glad that Justified and Archer started new seasons. Picked up the Young Ones on dvd so I've realy been enjoying that. The new Looney Toones Show is really funny.

Vyv: "Vyvyan, Vyvyan, Vyvyan! Honestly, everytime someything explodes in this house its always "Blame Vyvyan!"!"
Mike: Well who do you suggest we blame?!
Rick: THATCHER!
Vyv: No, blame whoever rang the front door bell! They obviously triggered the bomb I set up.

The Young Ones, Good times indeed.....

On 2012-01-30 18:47, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

Bump for tonight!

On 2012-02-02 19:00, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

On 2012-01-30 18:47, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

Bump for tonight!

Here is a clip http://www.fox.com/the-finder/videos/7850383/the-plan?sortby=date

"The person who drinks it will become an axe-wielding homicidal maniac, it's a cure really... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac."

W

Archer on FX. It's the funniest spy show ever.

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2012-02-12 04:19 ]

I was laughing so hard during the Burt Reynolds episode that I kept spilling my drink.

New season of "Madmen" on right now!

Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" new season starts tonight
on the Travel Channel see your TV listings as it will be repeated a couple of times tonight.

Was looking forward to "Magic City" and have to say, I enjoyed it. Hope it doesn't get to soapy or gangsta...but the sets and clothing was fabulous!!!

G

Just made it through the second episode of Magic City. I love the sets and costumes but I'm still not too into it. It was cool seeing the Mai Kai(Molokai Bar) in this episode, though.

gabbahey

So I have been watching "Magic City" I was hoping this was going to be a "Hard boiled" retro show
with a Mad Men vibe & so far this show has dropped the ball on narrative, Accurately portraying the era & style
No one has anything interesting to say.

Except for the two leads the acting is sub par with the rest of the cast, I can see the plot coming from a mile away
and I expect more from a show like this..........Can it improve? since we are half way thru the season it doesn't seem so.

Gidget. My 4 year old daughter thinks it's the greatest show ever and tells me she wants to be like her when she grows up:)

I just started to re-watched Black Books from the beginning again. Right up there with the Young Ones in total contempt for everything except booze.

On a solid episode of Madmen tonight, Roger took clients to Trader Vic's
which appear to have been filmed at Trader Vic's L.A.

I am hopelessly addicted to Magic City...LOVE IT!!! Other than that really the only shows I watch regularly are Psych & Burn Notice. TV is really bad...I typically end up watching movies and reruns.

Just found out that Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" has new episodes starting tonight
He is off to Sydney & be sure to check out singer Lanie Lane!

Repeat is at 9pm on the west coast on the travel channel.

This is a great show.
Here is one of the best episodes. (funny as Heck)
Chef Anthony Bourdain tending the saute station (with Chef Eric Ripert at the grill) on the line at the Brasserie Les Halles in NYC.

"It's interesting to read his book Medium Raw where he says that there is no way he could have done it the next day because it is young person's game. He says that if you are 31 years old, you are too old to work in this environment"

I too found myself too old for that environment and sold my restaurant.
Dam I miss it though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jICjaXeyFKs

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-09-11 11:21 ]

Ok one more,
this too is a great episode.
Dam I want to eat here.
50 Chefs!! ONE seating a night.
But it's gone.
ElBulli in Spain .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNZtWeqVNuA&feature=related

S

not the best sci-fi tv show, but i like some of the ideas introduced

So I am surfing the channels tonight, because nothings on during the holidays
when I see these girls dressed in vintage clothes....and I pause, Jungle Ginger
stops whatever she is doing and sits down to watch.

The show is called "Wives with Beehives" it is on TLC
It will repeated Friday Dec 28, 12:00 am on TLC

TV Guide says:
Meet the "Wives with Beehives" a group of four young women who have chosen to live every aspect of their lives, from their clothing to their homes and even to their morals, just like a traditional housewife from the fabulous 1950s.

My review: Where did they get these girls? Jesus I know alot of ladies that would kick these girls derrière's
Hula Girls dancer extraordinaire "Dinah De Rosa" for example, but she & everyone else I know would be to cool
for this crap anyway, the show features all the manufactured drama & cattiness you expect from reality trash like this
but the biggest offender is the lack of real cocktail knowledge and "Party City" Tiki decor used to dress up a birthday
party thrown in a mid century back yard in the show.

When did TLC stop becoming the learning channel,anyway?

I give it "Four Middle Fingers!"

Bad = Middle Fingers
Good = Thumbs Up

^^^ glad i missed it then.

my girlfriend and i have been watching this every night. it's extremely corny, but it's perfect "before we go to bed" television

New season of Madmen starts tonight!

The Neighbors. It's offbeat, weird and quirky which I like in my comedies.

S

i can't believe this was such a hit. some of the episodes are "kind of" interesting. the rest border on moronic.

re-runs on dvr. weird stuff happening around the world and deadpan robert stack is looking for some answers.

The return of "The Guild of Calamitous Intent"
YES! new Venture Bros!

Fifth-season premiere June 2nd Sunday 11:59pm on the Cartoon Network

I have been watching Revolution. It is ok, no Lost but decent. It is about the only serious show that I got into this season.

Also I just got the first two seasons of Workoholics. That show is damn funny!

Bumb for Sunday new Venture Bros!

What the Hey! here is that Doctor Girlfriend Nip Slip photo, scandalous!

Tonight at midnight! New Venture Bros! Go Team Venture!

I am totally hooked on HBO's "True Detective"

With nods to Noir, Robert W. Chambers & Lovecraft it has a real dense
narrative missing from just about everything else on TV right now.

Has anyone been watching "Black Sails" on Starz? It's basically a "prequel" to Treasure Island, featuring Cpt Flint, Billy Bones and, of course, a young Long John Silver. The actors are unrealistically buff (only a 20th or 21st century gym can get that kind of muscle definition) and all have conspicuously good teeth, but having said that it's a (non tongue in cheek) episodic series about pirates with much of the action taking place on New Providence Island during it's pirate occupied hey day.

With Pirates and their history in the Caribbean being one of my favorite historical subjects the show has become a guilty pleasure of mine.

Yes it plays like a cheesy modern blockbuster film at times (Michael Bay is one of the EPs). But the New Providence set is pretty awesome and some of the sea battles (watching a crew board a merchant vessel for instance) have been a lot of fun. Now if only they'd delve deeper into the role Rum and Rum punches played in the Pirates lives...

TM

On 2014-03-04 09:48, SoCal Savage wrote:
Has anyone been watching "Black Sails" on Starz? It's basically a "prequel" to Treasure Island, featuring Cpt Flint, Billy Bones and, of course, a young Long John Silver. The actors are unrealistically buff (only a 20th or 21st century gym can get that kind of muscle definition) and all have conspicuously good teeth, but having said that it's a (non tongue in cheek) episodic series about pirates with much of the action taking place on New Providence Island during it's pirate occupied hey day.

With Pirates and their history in the Caribbean being one of my favorite historical subjects the show has become a guilty pleasure of mine.

Yes it plays like a cheesy modern blockbuster film at times (Michael Bay is one of the EPs). But the New Providence set is pretty awesome and some of the sea battles (watching a crew board a merchant vessel for instance) have been a lot of fun. Now if only they'd delve deeper into the role Rum and Rum punches played in the Pirates lives...

We have been watching it....but I am confused about the set, particularly the beach scenes...all sources say the whole thing is shot in south Africa....south Africa is not tropical....so what beach are they filming in south Africa where the water and sand look identical to the Caribbean?

Maybe they're touching it up digitally? All of the wide boat scenes seem to be computer generated.

This "prequel" to Treasure Island" sure has plenty of sex & murder (not that there is anything wrong with that! well maybe the murder part.)
most of the Pirates look like rock stars or models with perfect teeth, The clothes are more "runway fashion" then historically accurate
And so little of the show is spent at sea & dwells on the political backstabbing & one-upmanship of the main characters
yet I have been watching it......but it's no True Detective!

Agreed about the casts looks (especially their teeth). Some of the background/bit players look a bit more realistic and I wish they spent more time raiding ships and less time screwing each other over politically, but having said all that it's a show about pirates filled with sex and murder so I'm giving it a handicap. True Detective is the best thing I've seen on TV in a long time. I know a show is special when I'm on the computer hours later researching all of the references and pulling my old Lovecraft books off the shelf. Totally different league. But I like pirates!

[ Edited by: SoCal Savage 2014-03-04 16:42 ]

:) :) :)

So NBC is now getting into the Pirate game with what looks like an alternate universe story of Blackbeard, one in which he doesn't die at Maynards hand, but lives on and turns into... John Malkovich.

Now I've got nothing against John Malkovich, but as Blackbeard?!?!?! Needless to say this being a network production everyone looks so clean and pretty, Blacksails plays like documentary in comparison to this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdrrHm3HhY

CONSTANTINE (aka Hellblazer) is coming next season....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY

I love me a good pirate show! But I'll wait for iTunes or Netflix. Commercial TV and I parted ways a few years back, and I'm happy to pay the alimony. :)

Here's what I'm watching: BBC Sherlock. Magnum PI. Game of Thrones. Bob's Burgers. And one of my new favorite shows, Rick and Morty.

Z

Penny Dreadful

Is Penny Dreadful any good?

I'd love for Constanine to be what the Keanu Reeves movie wasn't I love those graphic novels.

Has anyone seen "Ripper Street"? I marathoned through all of them and really enjoyed it.

Penny Dreadful was interesting & compelling with a good cast
I will watch it to see where the story is heading, it is very atmospheric & moody.

One of the better shows on right now is Hannibal, also Rick & Morty is funny
I give it 4 MeowMeowBeenz.

The new Constantine is much closer to the comic book, so fingers crossed.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-11 22:35 ]

That Constanine trailer actually looks really good.

She's dead! Wrapped in plastic!

Yahoo!: Twin Peaks returns

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies