Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What TV shows are you Poly-Popsters watching

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

I just read the news KB33
and this sounds very promising, New Twin Peaks
and made for cable!

Like Junior Brown? looking forward to the Breaking Bad spinoff "Better Call Saul"
Then this is for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

The Venture Bros is back!

The new hour-long special, “All This And Gargantua-2,”
hits The Cartoon Network on Monday Jan 19th at 11:59 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLbKsSHW1I

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-01-13 11:17 ]

So what did you guys think about the "Madmen" ending?

S

greetings retronauts.

the missus and i have been watching fireball xl5 by gerry and sylvia anderson (husband and wife who created space 1999 and thunderbirds). besides being the only anderson show that ran on us tv, this was also the only show which the duo voiced. a true masterclass in puppetry from the 60s and a must watch for technophiles

Socks, I used to love watching Fireball when I was a kid. Loved the old cartoons and any type of puppetry still do. In junior high school I started watching Buster Crabbes' Flash Gorden serials on TV, great stuff. Huh, I wonder if Flash Gorden is on netflix?

hi tikicoma. i was completely unaware of this show until i saw it on classic tv a few weeks ago. a lucky coincidence i might add.

not sure if flash gordon is on netflix. i personally bought the new adventures of flash gordon although i've always wanted to watch the black & white serials from the 40s.

S

narcos. finished watching it last saturday. best new show on the tube for me

![](http://www.broadcastingcable.com/sites/default/files/public/blog-images/Narcos%20blog%20(Netflix.jpg)

Another favorite series returning?

Bring Back MST3K

in the not too distant future!?

On 2015-12-18 23:09, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Another favorite series returning?

Bring Back MST3K

in the not too distant future!?

It is coming back now after a successful crowd funding for 14 new episodes ,sometime this year.
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/mst3k-returns-joel-hodgson-on-resurrecting-the-cult-tv-show-20151222

New X-Files tomorrow night!!!
One of my all time favorite shows back in the 90s, fingers are crossed for some quality episodes.

So who watched the new X-Files?
what did you think?

On 2016-01-25 07:08, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So who watched the new X-Files?
what did you think?

Man, I had been geeked for this for so long I was almost prepared to be disappointed. Gillian Anderson can do no wrong. Actually it was spectacular how both Anderson and Duchovny picked up their characters again as if no time had passed since the series ended.

I absolutely loved it. I cannot wait for the next episode.

Review not good for new X-Files but

Yahoo:X-Files review by Ken Tucker

I recorded it for later viewing and will decide for myself.

I saw those negative reviews also, K.B.

So I prepared myself for disappointment, but after watching the first episode
I think the reviewers are a bunch of Millennials, who don't get the show in the first place
and didn't watch it during it's original run, my take is, the first episode had to do a few things to get
the characters established and setup a background story to push the narrative forward after all these years

It felt like the "X-Files" the show was fast paced & action packed for a typical X-Files episode from the 90s
it setup the conspiracy with a twist, the original show was always talky, so the ADD riddled millennials will probably take issue with it

The show is back and another new episode is on tonight, I will be tuning in!

x-files was beyond disappointing. they only had to make 6 episodes and somehow they managed to make the worst 6 episodes imaginable. even david duchovny seemed to be phoning in his performance. i couldn't even finish the last episode because it was the worst.

currently, i'm watching:

i'm really enjoying the people vs oj but the 11.22.63 isn't too bad, just not as good

On 2015-08-07 16:17, socksoff wrote:
besides being the only anderson show that ran on us tv...

Actually, Anderson's Supermarionation shows were well-represented on US television: Thunderbirds, Stingray, Joe 90, and Captain Scarlett all played on teevee back in the 60s. I know because I watched them religiously while growing up in various US locales. In addition, his live-action shows, Space: 1999, and UFO were very popular stateside in the 70s.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2016-02-27 05:22 ]

Caught a couple of episodes of HBO's "Vinyl" last weekend when I was nursing a terrible case of bronchitis. Enjoyed the gritty scenes of NYC in the '70s, and the recreation of the New York Dolls destroying the Mercer Arts Center (image below) was pretty spot-on, but the show's high-concept of "Mad Men Meets Marty (Scorcese) and Mick (Jagger), coupled with the really distracting actor imitations of Alice Cooper and Robert Plant didn't work for me at all.

On the other hand, the new season of The Venture Brothers debuted after 2 loooong years of waiting, and it didn't disappoint. New revelations about the Mighty Monarch's father, The Blue Morpho, and his relationship to the skeevy Dr. Jonas Venture have kept me riveted for the past 7 weeks, and as always, the show takes on a plethora of Marvel/DC superhero-villain cliches and reduces them to belly laughs. My only beef is that the show, usually a reliable source of ridiculous Poly-pop references, has been completely devoid of them this season, although last week's episode featured the Doc teaching his minions how to create a highly-disgusting cocktail creation called the "Ruddy Bottom": an unappetizing combination of grenadine, tomato juice, and rum.

T

Here is a new show we are watching, 60 Days in.
I go through flash backs when I watch it because much of the BS and intimidation tactics
That the inmates use on this show are the same as when I used to work at the Ohio State University.
Working at OSU was much like the show.
Crazy yelling and fighting while the bosses do nothing about it.
My life was threatened twice, the guy who made the threat was killed in a drive by shooting.

And here’s a new one [Robert Greene’s ‘The 48 Laws of Power’
This is a book that one of the inmates wants.
Man scary stuff in that book.
All the while Hollywood has us think folks in jail are there for one joint.
Not these guys, they STUDY how to take advantage of people.

Interesting show.
60 Days in…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60_Days_In

S

On 2016-02-27 05:20, MrBaliHai wrote:

On 2015-08-07 16:17, socksoff wrote:
besides being the only anderson show that ran on us tv...

Actually, Anderson's Supermarionation shows were well-represented on US television: Thunderbirds, Stingray, Joe 90, and Captain Scarlett all played on teevee back in the 60s. I know because I watched them religiously while growing up in various US locales. In addition, his live-action shows, Space: 1999, and UFO were very popular stateside in the 70s.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2016-02-27 05:22 ]

well, blow me down. i've actually been catching stingray, captain scarlett and and episode of joe 90 every now and then on some classic teevee. this is really my type of stuff.

to this day, i've only caught one episode of space: 1999 but i'm so in love with barbara bain that i named my hideout the moonbase. in mine mind, i'm married to babs (during her mission:impossible/cinnamon years) and the world loops endlessly from 1965-1977

to this day, i've only caught one episode of space: 1999 but i'm so in love with barbara bain that i named my hideout the moonbase. in mine mind, i'm married to babs (during her mission:impossible/cinnamon years) and the world loops endlessly from 1965-1977

You sir, have very good taste.....very good indeed.

howlinowl

M

On 2016-05-10 19:29, socksoff wrote:
well, blow me down. i've actually been catching stingray, captain scarlett and and episode of joe 90 every now and then on some classic teevee. this is really my type of stuff.

You may be interested to know that Amazon.com released a Thunderbirds remake/remodel on Amazon Prime recently. It's CGI with motion-capture characters, but they've managed to retain a bit of Anderson's hinky, clunky Supermarionation vibe:

https://youtu.be/jU10Ddoi7jE

Hey, buddy, I'm married to Barbara Bain in my mind, so stop making time with my imaginary wife!

I am a TV addict even though the shows stink. I truly miss the 60/70s as there was really good TV back then. USA usually hosts some great shows and just when you are addicted they cancel them...such a pisser. I finally bought the DVDs for Magic City and Psyche and someday I will have a marathon. Speaking of marathons, I always watch any James Bond just to support the event.

I am watching Outlander, fabulous sets and costumes but it is getting pretty soap operaish. Otherwise not really watching anything other than new and old TOP GEAR...my fave right now.

S

Hey, buddy, I'm married to Barbara Bain in my mind, so stop making time with my imaginary wife!

you might wanna step outside so we can handle this the ol' fashioned way.... (just kiddin')

speaking of television: i went to the premiere of narcos season 2 last week, and i'm very happy to announce that it's looking swell. just from the first episode, this will be a very intense ride.

also worth noting, at the premiere the real FBI agents portrayed on the show were present. unfortunately, pablo couldn't make it

[ Edited by: socksoff 2016-08-29 16:20 ]

[ Edited by: socksoff 2016-08-29 16:21 ]

M

Season 2 Episode 1 of American Gods. Filmed at the House on the Rock in Spring Green, WI. Here's "my neighbor," Neil Gaiman, riding the carousel:

P.S. the rest of Season 2 sucks. Don't watch it.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, May 8, 2019 7:32 PM

I've become obsessed with Huell Howser and watching old episodes of California's Gold, Visiting, and Road Trip....

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/archives/

We recently watched the entire run of Cannon. It's great to pick out the LA scenery and places we know, plus find places we don't know and try to see if we can find them! The only bummer is William Conrad passed so long ago, so we can't tell him how much we appreciated his work.

Now we're on to the standard, The Love Boat, which seems to never get old. Going through season 4 right now...

In between watching old movies, I've been bingeing on the British archeology show, "Time Team". Hosted by Sir Tony Robinson (Baldrick on Black Adder) and the titular team of rather scruffy English archeologists who are given 3 days to dig sites of historical import stretching from the Neolithic all the way up to WWII. In the evening, they head to the local pub to argue over the day's finds and drink a few pints of ale. It's hard work, but somebody's gotta do it.

I tried watching "Rings of Power", but gave up after the first two episodes. Horrible dialogue and acting with a paper-thin plot cooked up from a couple of leftover paragraphs of Tolkien's "The Silmarillion".

time-team-large-poster-950

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2022-09-21 18:30:29 ]

T

This show is so cool people make small and some large homes out of old planes, trains, they use wood pallets and just anything they can find but the places turn out awesome!

So creative this show is.

George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces | These cosy cabins are giving us winter wonderland wanderlust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTZHIcfOz9g

George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces https://duckduckgo.com/?q=george+clarks+amazing+places&hps=1&iax=images&ia=images

Thanks to to pandemic, we did a whole lot of TV viewing, thanks to being locked down for so long pretty much watched everything, I did re-watch the entire series of Babylon 5 at some point thanks to those retro cable channels I watched a lot of old classic western series, like Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen, Bat Masterson, Wagon Train, Cheyenne, Branded, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, Have Gun, Will Travel etc., all shows I grew up with.

As of today, I thought Pokerface was a very entertaining show, doing a modern take on Columbo and The NBC Mystery Movie "umbrella program" series, like The Name of the Game, Banacek etc.

The new Star Trek series have been a real mixed bag, watched them all, I think the best is Strange New Worlds and the current season of Picard, which is essentially an extended Star Trek the Next Gen movie.

Netflix's Copenhagen Cowboy by Nicolas Winding Refn doing David Lynch, is a kick in the head, if you like weird, violent, dark, funny, and strange.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies