Name:Kali-Kai
Type:restaurant
Street:6202 Montgomery Road
City:Cincinnati
State:OH
Zip:45213
Phone:731-0023

Description:
Connoisseurs of exotic Cantonese foods will discover in their visits to the Kali-Kai......A source of satisfaction in Cantonese cuisine.

That is a quote from the back of the Kali-Kai matchbook.

My internet search turned up very little other than a blog that talked about the place being around in the 1960's and an article in Cincinnati Magazine stating that it closed in 1983.

I also found a brief blurb in an issue of Cincinatti Magazine from April 1972:

Kali-Kai. Colorful Oriental decor, reasonable prices and a very good Chinese menu. 6202 Montgomery Road, 731-0023. Open daily, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. (R, AE, BA, MC).

Here's the Kali-Kai matchbook that I picked up recently.

I checked the address on Googlemaps. It's a Walgreen's now. Hmm...

The little I can make out, the cover looks like a version of that KAHIKI Sunday paper supplement rendering. Cool name, but I never liked those metallic matchbooks somehow.

brotiki- "I never liked those metallic matchbooks somehow"

yea but if it was a golden matchbook then WOW! :)

Some interesting factoids for today. I found this 1965 ad for a Kon Tiki restaurant located in Cincinnati that was NOT the one owned and operated by Stephen Crane.

Now how could there be two Kon Tiki restaurants in the same town? Crane opened his at the Sheraton Gibson in 1965.

Well, needless to say Crane's lawyers won this battle and Kon Tiki changed its name to the Kali Kai.

All is fair in love and Tiki!

DC

Ha!

Pages: 1 5 replies