Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 369 replies

Great planks, especially the ones with the knots in them. Just curious, what's the surface they are sitting on with the raised dots? Some sort of textured paper?

UT

Thanks everyone. MDM that textured surface the planks are resting on is one of my secret weapons !!! It's a paper towel. :D

A bit more detail work with bamboo today. And seems such a big mess for a little hut on the workbench in my small shop.

T

Trav,

Your work continues to amaze! I marvel at the creativity you conjure up to produce such realistic effects in miniature. Mahalo for sharing.

-Tom

UT

Thanks Tom !!! Great to hear from you again. I hope all is well in your part of the world. I laid some of the floor planks of the hut today. I guess I really didn't need to detail the underside but I did anyway. Thanks for stopping by.

Those planks look awesome. Actually it is important to have those planks on the underside to maintain authenticity in the event that the hut blows over in a typhoon/monsoon/cyclone/hurricane/etc.

On 2013-04-08 17:21, MadDogMike wrote:
Those planks look awesome. Actually it is important to have those planks on the underside to maintain authenticity in the event that the hut blows over in a typhoon/monsoon/cyclone/hurricane/etc.

Or in the case of a CAT-astrophe.

I have 3 cats who are forever trying to steal my miniatures. Reggie will play with them if they happen to get left on/near the floor. Cookie carries them in her mouth to the top of the stairs, knocks them down the stairs, back up the stairs, etc. Mayhem is... well he lives up to his name! lol

Uncle Trav, really enjoying the step by steps.
~kele

UT

HAha gotta love the cats. Thanks guys. Twenty seven tiny pieces of hand detailed bamboo. This is just on of the four sides if the hut and the short side at that! Still a long way to go on this one.

Here's a couple of snaps of how things a progressing.

The rough floor boards the roof line, the bamboo, on and on the treats keep coming. These are images that just stay with a person throughout the day. A lot to think about. Impressed. Wendy

Wow! Impressive work. Great to see the progress.

Looking good. Mahaloz for the update!
~kele

Thanks everyone. I am having fun going all out with the detail. I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks again.

Loving the details in those last couple photos.

Dale

UT

Finally getting around to attaching the roof after a bit of time away from mini construction. Still a bunch more to do on this one.

This is such beautiful work. Amazing.

Breathtaking work...looking forward to see the final outcome. What a tedious project...thanks for the great pictures.

LOVE THESE!

Thanks everyone. As I'm home today and waiting for glue to dry I decided to try and make some bamboo. Why make it you may ask? Well, I live in Michigan and I'm waiting for glue to dry. The glue drying thing will drive a person to try new things I guess. Anyway this is a 3/16" basswood dowel after a bit of detailing and staining. Just something to pass the time and may come in handy on future builds. Thanks for looking.

A teaser from the workbench.

Spectacular, Trav!

Just what he said. So true, Wendy

Wow
Those look great
Kool touch to da huts

Jon

Looks awesome Trav. About finished?

That is impressive in miniature. Dig it!

BT

Nice, those are getting pretty detailed

Thanks for the kind compliments everyone. Really helps me to try some new things in these projects. Nearly done now, just working out the small details. Thanks again.

I hope to post some updates on the hut soon. My creative incentive took a big hit for awhile. Summer chores around the house and work have taken up much of my time. The biggest hit was having to put my dog down a couple of weeks ago. Her name was Irma and she was a constant companion and unwavering friend and true member of the family for seventeen years. That one took me down a few notches but I hope to be back up soon. Thanks.

HT

Sorry to hear that, Trav. Always hard to lose a friend.

Your work is very unique, and appreciated. When you find the spirit, we'll all be happy to see more creativity here on this thread. Meanwhile, take care, and try not to get too down.

So sorry for your loss and rest assured that we will be here waiting whenever you are ready to get back to wowing us with your skills. :)

• Dale

My condolences Trav. 17 years is a long time and with great love comes great pain. I think the next project will need a nice dog hut in memory of Irma.

super cool - love it...maybe some straw for thatch? you could make lamps if you used a more fireproof material. or use LED lights...laid off but not laid down. Way to go bro

My condolences as well, Trav. I know how close our little furry friends can be, and how much we miss them when they are gone.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I made a couple of good Tiki finds today. Finding the junk helps shrug off the funk. I'll be back to building soon. Thanks again.

Just about ready to jump back in the saddle again and get this build done. Thanks for taking a look.

so great

Love it

Beautiful!
~kele

UT

Finally finished...I think.

Blown on the southern winds to a sheltered harbor guarded by an ancient reef a small hut awaits your arrival. Provisions for the wandering copra trader or rum for the lost soul his lamp is always lit and his door is always open. Nearly lost from the memory of ordinary men but not forgotten he plies his trade day in and day out. Escaping the iron fist of a ship's captain wielding the power of God or the lure of paradise, no one knows by whence he came. After the storms have battered your ship and your soul, seek out the Trader. All who cross his threshold are welcomed as kindred souls and true friends.

:lol: :lol: big words for a paper model made in my basement. Here it the Trader's hut. Someday I hope to add the whole diorama treatment to one of these builds including Tikis and foliage. This one was a lot of fun to build. Thanks for taking a look.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2013-11-03 05:24 ]

If I had them I'd do three thumbs up. Creative perfection, Wendy

Your Trader's hut looks great!

I especially like your distressing techniquest.

~kele

Primo!
Great things come in small packages!

C

Perfect!

S

That is seriously fantastic.

H

Excellent work.

UT

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. It helps keep the creative juices flowing. Thanks again.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2013-12-21 05:17 ]

That is so cool! Wonderful work! It looks like a place I'd enjoy having a drink with my friends.

Wonderful Trav. Loved the prose too :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 369 replies