Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 369 replies

UT

Thanks Liz. I hated to sell it but it helped out allot. Here is an update of the mini hut with some more added to it and some really small details. Not really 15% , just kidding around. Still a work in progress. The quarter is for size reference. Thanks for checking it out.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2011-01-08 06:59 ]

You do these so well!
I saw your auction's ending bid, are you thinking of making more for ebay?

UT

On 2011-01-08 11:03, 4WDtiki wrote:
You do these so well!
I saw your auction's ending bid, are you thinking of making more for ebay?

Thanks for the compliment. The first one is always the hardest one to sell I guess. I am thinking of putting more out for sale but they take quite a bit of time to build. I had allot of folks tracking the auction and a number of bids. The winner of the first auction really enjoyed the hut and was a pleasure to deal with. So I guess the answer is yes. My latest build will be sold also. Thanks again.

Hut number two is done. This hut though smaller took a bit more time to build because of the small details. Now you can hold a small part of Polynesia in your hand. Thanks for looking.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2011-01-13 08:48 ]

Your latest creation is wonderful! You inspire me!
~kele

T

Beautiful work, uncle trav! You have a real talent for this, and clearly a lot of patience.

Thanks for the comments guys. I just put hut #2 up for a three day auction here.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38873&forum=12&0
Thanks for looking.

I know how hard it is to do these. I did one in paper to use as a model for my painting on my gallery thread. It was harder to make the house than to do the painting. You are an architect! Wendy

uncle trav, these are really, really cool... I love the scale and attention to detail, and everything is in perfect proportion....

Oh and definitely, a light would be cool..

"professional" just means you get paid to learn...

[ Edited by: TikiKIrby 2011-01-16 09:44 ]

Thanks TikiKirby. Wendy that painting is awesome and I love the model.
Here is a new hut I am starting. A bit of a different style than the last ones so it's kinda learn as I go.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2011-01-20 14:46 ]

Hut number two went to a good home down in sunny Florida where yesterday the temp was near eighty. Here in Michigan as I type this it is -16 degrees. I decided to add a door to the new hut so you can lock up your miniature rum supply at night.

Cool, I like the door, keep 'em coming...

But to be honest with you any respectable miniature rum thief could probably find another way or two into the hut..... :wink:

On 2011-01-23 21:23, TikiKIrby wrote:
Cool, I like the door, keep 'em coming...

But to be honest with you any respectable miniature rum thief could probably find another way or two into the hut..... :wink:

:lol: It's not Menehune proof that's for sure. A good thief would just punch a hole through the wall or lift the roof off. Here is a shot of the floor going in and some small rafter details. Note all of the highly technical construction implements.

Thatch roof going on. This part takes forever because of the small scale of the hut.

This would be the home Dan and I would love to live in. You have a gift for doing these. You keep building we will keep watching. That last hut almost made it the opposite way to California. Wendy

Borne on the waves of a faraway blue green sea and ringed by a reef seldom breached only by the intrepid outrigger or lone copra trader rests an island steeped in mystery and beauty. A place where cares and responsibility ebb away with the receding tide. Rum and music permeate the evening air and float among the palms on a warm tropical breeze. With the weight of the world lifted from your shoulders as easily as an islander would throw his cast net into the sea you retire to your hut. you came here curious and have left here fulfilled........... I really need to get back to work soon before I start going over the edge. Just kidding :D

Hut number three is done. Loaded with small details. I tried a few new things on this one and hope it turned out okay. And a big thanks to Wendy for your compliments about my huts. I thought the last one might head west myself. Thanks for looking.

Trav, your creativity continues to soar with the latest hut, as does your lyrical prose… perhaps the product of an over-extended stay in the basement bar, it’s nevertheless a wonder to behold!

I’m sure glad hut #2 didn’t fly to the left coast, though I suspect that #3 will, if Wendy has her way.

Tom

Thanks Tom. This one was fun to build and I learned a few things along the way.

NICE!!! Love the doors and windows. Creative writing and a great photos as well - a triple threat!

Nice one Uncle Trav, but WHERE IS THE SIGN? Lol. Awesome as always and I am very glad to see you creating again!

Thanks Mike and Sissy. I had started to make a sign for a fictitious " OFFICERS CLUB 418TH NFS". This was a USAAF night fighter unit that flew P-61 Black Widows out of New Guinea during WWII. I thought that folks may have thought a sign would be to specific and would rather have a hut that was just a hut. There is always the next build though.

Ah, I love P-61's and I love the huts.... Would be a cool combo..:D

UT

Hut three will go up for auction soon and thanks for checking out the thread.

UT

Time for a new build so hut number three is up for auction. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39066&forum=12&start=last&0 Thanks.

Going to try some new materials (wood) with this one. Here is the outrigger beam drying after being glued in place. Not to sure how this will look as I'm still learning as I go.

Many hours at the kitchen table today. The front of the hut is a bit less than 2 1/2" wide. Around fifty hand cut, split, glued and detailed pieces of bamboo and that's just the start. Thanks for looking

FRIG those would make a great behind-the-window diorama at a Tiki temple!!

On 2011-02-25 16:54, Robb Hamel wrote:
FRIG those would make a great behind-the-window diorama at a Tiki temple!!

Thanks Robb. I have been thinking about a small diorama but haven't got beyond the planning stages yet.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2011-02-26 04:49 ]

T

Wow, Trav, your latest work is awesome! I'd love to have this hut at a 1:1 scale.

UT

Come away with me to an island. An island which rises from an azure sea like a faceted emerald haloed by clouds and ringed with a pearl necklace of ancient reefs. A place where time is measured by the rhythmic beat of the waves caressing the sandy shore and the seasons marked by the shifting trade winds. A place nearly lost to the memory of men but for a mention in a musty logbook or notation on a faded nautical chart. Your cares and troubles float away on the warm tropical breeze and your soul is renewed like a new plumeria blooming in the hidden valleys of this paradise. Evening arrives in the company of a gentle equatorial rain. The rain plays a symphony of music on the thatched roof of your new island home accompanied by the deep rumble of thunder in the far off distance and punctuated by the staccato notes of lightening dancing in the sky. You rest contented. :D
Hut #4 is finally done after many many hours. About 3" wide and 8 1/2" tall and loaded up with lots of hand done detailing. Thanks for taking a look.

Very very detailed Trav, love the roof beam and the plank floor.

Trav, another beautiful hut! I've got to get past the planning stage & onto actually building one, you're leaving me in the dust. :)
~kele

Trav,

Another gem, nice work. Saw this photo online and was reminded of your work.

Seems as though you are not the first to make the miniature tiki hut.

DC

BK

Trav, that is very cool my friend!

UT

Thanks for all the comments guys. DC, that's a great photo and I like the hut in it as well. Being off of work has given me way way to much time and this little hut burned up a bunch of it. I wanted to try out adding some new materials to the build and think it came out good. Thanks again.

K
KAHAKA posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 4:17 PM

That's amazing. Top notch construction, there. I want one to have and hold.

BK

You've gotta start keeping some of these for yourself, Trav. I really like the diorama idea.

Awesome as usual, my brother from the same mother, and father for that matter. Not sure why you got the art talent and I got the talent to do everyone elses banking and throw amazing birthday parties, but hey whatever. Since I'm your BIG sister, I'm asking that you build a miniature Mai Kai with lift off lid, detailed interior, lighted sign, working gas torches, rain window, and miniature fire dancers enjoying the efforts of a miniature band, don't forget the sound. Yeah that's the thing about us big sisters, we are demanding. Love all your work as always. Hate to see you having so much time on your hands, but glad to see you enjoying that which you are so good at.

UT

Thanks again everyone. Sissy, if I could build a miniature like that I would have to find a way to shrink myself down to size and live in it. I have had a request to build one of the famous Tiki temples and I'm trying to use some varying materials in these builds to work my way up to the challenge. I learn a little more with each new miniature.

"...I'm asking that you build a miniature Mai Kai with lift off lid, detailed interior, lighted sign, working gas torches, rain window, and miniature fire dancers enjoying the efforts of a miniature band..."

She doesn't ask for much! :lol:

L

Trav love this latest one the best. Great work as always!

Awesome, I'll give ya $ 5.00 for it?

Bood, you sure know how to tempt a guy :D

Hut number four is up for grabs here. Not an ebay auction. Please see the link for more info. Thanks.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39449&forum=12&0

Insanely cool. I want to live in it!

UT

Well folks it's that time of year when work takes a nosedive for me. Been that way for a couple of years now so a new build is underway. This is just the beginning mock up. Using some new materials this time so as always it is a learn as I go process. Thanks for taking a look.

So very cool. Your detail and precision is wonderful. You have found your niche! Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 369 replies