Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Hawaiian Restaurant & Lounge, Boston, MA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 19 replies

Here is the postcard that I just purchased. It's marked 1967.

A couple of enlargements. The Oceanic Arts New Caledonia figure on the wall is what caught my eye. The lamps are pretty great too.

Name:The Hawaiian Restaurant & Lounge
Type:restaurant
Street:146 Boylston Street
City:Boston
State:MA
Zip:02116
Phone:426-6825

Description:
The Hawaiian - an island paradise situated across the Common in the heart of Boston - excells in Polynesian and Cantonese Cuisine. Leisurely atmosphere and relaxing informality, induced by a wide array of tempting island drinks served at the Waikiki Lounge, mark the Hawaiian as Boston's best Polynesian restaurant.

My internet search turned up a big, fat nothing, so I thought I'd just quote the back of their postcard.

S

Boy, I wish you guys would stop finding stuff from my back yard! :lol:
Could this be the mug?

It must be. The writing's the same & just for the record, it's long gone.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2009-09-24 10:33 ]
I suppose it coulda been in that building. next time I'm in Boston, I'll check it out.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2009-09-24 10:36 ]

I'd say based on the font, that's definitely it.

Nice mug, by the way!

Nice mug, by the way!

Why, thank you! I've been working out!

S

Postcard says the Hawaiian and the Waikiki Lounge. Maybe that's yet another place?

On 2009-09-24 11:34, Swanky wrote:
Postcard says the Hawaiian and the Waikiki Lounge. Maybe that's yet another place?

I took it to mean that the Waikiki Lounge was the name of the bar in the Hawaiian Restaurant.

Fabulous mug, BK.

I took it to mean that the Waikiki Lounge was the name of the bar in the Hawaiian Restaurant. Fabulous mug, BK.

I think Kate's right on that one. I just found that mug in May. It's definitely one of my favorites.

I found some swizzle sticks from these locations earlier this week.

The back of the red one reads: 146 BOYLSTON ST., BOSTON and then has a manufacturers mark and HONG KONG.

The green one has the same mark and reads: BOSTON, MASS and WEST HARTFORD, CONN.

What a great postcard Tiki Kate started this tread with. Saw this news photo on ebay a while back that was from the grand unveiling of the new "Cup of the Gods" Tiki mug from the Hawaiian.

Photo of the mug.

Anybody got one of those swizzles to trade?

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2012-12-26 11:58 ]

DC, do you have the date of that photo?

On 2012-12-26 17:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
DC, do you have the date of that photo?

The date on the photo was April 1965.

DC

The ebay seller put the photo back up for sale and I was able to get it. Here is a scan without the watermark.

Close up of the mugs - looks like the umbrellas had The Hawaiian printed on them.

Now those are hard to find.

DC

Spotted a matchbook from The Hawaiian in Boston that gives us a look at the sign that was out front.

Looks nice, I am thinking neon for sure. So who has a photo?

DC

BK

DC, was that on ebay?

BK,

Here is another variety of the Hawaiian matchbook with the logo Hawaiian chief.

DC

An advertisment in the Boston Globe dated October 25th, 1965. The Waikiki Lounge was their discoteque! Free Hawaiian mugs on opening night.

I also cut the ad up so that it appears larger...

Spotted this photo of the Hawaiian restaurant sign on ebay. Looks like the matchbook rendering and includes the smaller Waikiki Lounge sign.

DC

Here's a menu from the South Seas with all the associated restaurants listed at bottom:

south seas menu

Anita Chue appears to have been a force behind starting these but Henry Oi took over and ran them for many years. Here are images from the Anita Chue's restaurant matchbook and menu.

anita chue's

anita chue's menu

Most of what I can gather on Anita Chue comes from this blog at https://passionatefoodie.blogspot.com/2020/04/restaurants-in-bostons-chinatown-tale.html and he states that the Brookline Anita Chue's opened in 1962.

Hopefully we can find out more. Anita Chue looks to have had a hand in several other Polynesian and Chinese establishments as well.

[ Edited by Trader Tom on 2023-04-13 15:42:13 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies